1er Cru Red Burgundy that doesn't need 30+years to reach maturity?

I drink a lot of Fourrier, and while you could make the argument that drinking them young is premature, it is in no way masochistic.

Jouan’s MSD Clos Sorbé and Clos Saint-Denis and Drouhin’s Clos Saint-Denis (which is sourced from Jouan) seem like good calls in addition to many of those others have suggested.

Thinking aloud, Chevillon Chaignots would be another good option.

Mugneret-Gibourg Chaingnots may not need thirty, but it’s better at twenty than ten…

Maureen - are you really trying to engage Nathan S on a Burgundy thread? Good luck.

Yeesh, was just messing around. Apologies if i offended.

Ramonet 1er reds are drinking great even from 13-15 atm.

Thanks! I might pop a 2014 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Village or maybe the Clos St. Jean tonight.

In my less than expert opinion, it is as much as a vintage question as a producer question. 2009 was very tasty young if you like fruit forward styles - even a long ager Faiveley Clos de Corton was delish. For the classic secondary (and older flavors), there is no circumventing the aging.

Our Burg tasting group had 2008 Burgundies last week. They were very, very drinkable now, although at least some of the wines likely will develop further. Wines we had included Michel Gaunoux Pommard Rugiens, Dublere Charmes Chambertin, Bertheau Chambolle Musigny 1er cru, Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Clos St. Jacques , Arlaud Gevrey Chambertin Combottes (very nice, but probably the most backwards wine we had) and Hudelot Noellat Clos Vougeot (my favorite red of the night).

I like Pavelot’s Savignys and they can be excellent values. However, while these wines may not take 30 years to mature, IMHO they generally do need time and are not wines to be drunk young.

Agree about drinking Rousseau’s wines young. If I remember correctly, at the Paulee 2017 event there was a rare wine dinner featuring multiple vintages of Ruchottes-Chambertin from Roumier, Rousseau and Mugneret-Gibourg. After tasting the 2010s (the youngest vintage poured) from each producer, someone asked the question about when to drink this wine. Christophe Roumier answered first and went on at length that his wine should be held for 25 years and that it would be a crime to drink it sooner than that. Eric Rousseau just smiled and said that he thought now was as good a time as any to drink his wine as it was showing beautifully (and it really was singing). [cheers.gif]

Great story Larry. We were just discussing the other day that Rousseau Chambertin doesn’t seem to go through a really shut down phase.

Someone above mentioned Liger Belair. I completely agree. However I wonder if he isn’t flirting with red premox. The 08s are showing bricking like you would expect from a 00 red burg.

Steen from Winehog has a note on the 06 La Romanee that mentions tertiary profiles:

If the very best vintages of DRC require 15 years to mature – what is all this talk of requiring 30 years for 1er Crus? Americans expect too much from wine. I’m not a Burgundy guy – but, I’m not ignorant either. What 1988 and earlier 1er crus are just coming into their window now? I’ll bet for every one that is just coming into its window, there are 1,000 that are spent.

You may be on to something. I don’t have much experience with the C L-B wines, but one data point is the 2007 Vosne 1er Cru Les Chaumes which we drank a couple of years ago. The nose was spectacular, but the color was orange/bricking at the rim and the palate was showing advanced characteristics, ready to go for sure.

I think it’s highly wine/vintage dependent and it definitely depends on how you like your Burgundy. Not sure generalizations help that much. For example, ‘88 Leroy Aux Reas last week still could use some time. I liked it more than others. And that’s a village wine. Whereas other wines from ‘88 may be be DOA already or have never emerged from a wall of tannins.

Last week we did a 1993 red horizontal that purposefully avoided Grand Crus (except Drouhin Bonnes Mares), because we don’t think they’re ready for Prime Time, and it was the right call. None of the village and 1er Cru wines wines gave any hint they were on a downslope and luckily every bottle was in good shape. To the contrary these wines appeared to have the possibility for further positive evolution. Whereas a similar horizontal of 1992s or 1994s would probably have been very different.

We decided we are on tap to do the GC version of the ‘93 horizontal in 5 years. At age 30.

I get 1993 – it’s kind of a unique vintage. But, what about 1990? I’ll bet the vast, vast majority of the 1ers were better younger. Sure, there are lots of exceptions among the best of the best… And I’d argue that for every 1993 GC that needs time, you might be risking that the structure wins the race.

Again, I am no Burgundy expert and would never get into a debate with someone of your experience in the space. My point is just that these wines – on the whole – need less time than people think. The ability to survive for an eternity is different than improving over the same window. I get you know the distinction. Many don’t, however.

Awesome to hear!! we can all get crackin’ on our many cases of the Chambertins!! :wink:

I totally agree. My '02 Pavelot - Dominodes were totally undrinkable until about a year ago.

I actually agree with you that one could go overboard aging red Burgs but wanted to make clear you can’t really make hard and fast rules. They can be idiosyncratic and less predictable than Bordeaux or Rioja. I also wouldn’t claim to have a better handle on this than anyone else. Sure I’ve drunk and cellared a lot of red Burgs but so have plenty of other folks around here with different aging preferences, not to mention different tastebuds.

Armaud epeneaux, 1990 lafarge chenes, 1990 d’angerville ducs, bousse d’ or, 60 ouvrees, suchots from high quality producers… etc

Johnathan – why are you looking for wines that mature early? Is it that you like the flavors of younger burgundy? Or do you like older burgundy, but just don’t want to wait 30 years?

Because if it’s the latter, there are older wines available from reputable sources. often for not much more than current releases.