1998 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Horizontal

Doug, shouldn’t you be preparing for SF rather than adventuring in CndP land?

RT

Doug, how can C and F both be #6?

Gerhard–Pegau Reservee is always my favorite CdP or damn close. The CL was plush and lacked typicity. Seven other experience winetasters agreed.

Richard: ah, yes. I can’t wait for SF. I wish you and the Montachet swigging better half would be there.

Patrick–good catch. The Pegau CL was actually number six.

No Felix nor Charvin? Hmmm… Somebody puhleeeze give me a call next time and I shall grace the list with a bottle or 2. :wink:

Mai,
shall we open a Charvin in July [cheers.gif]

sounds like a good idea to me. [cheers.gif]

It shows an identical blend every year except 1997 (which has 30% Grenache Blanc and only 10% Grenache Noir?):
Cinsault : 5%
Counoise : 10%
Grenache : 30%
Mourvèdre : 30%
Syrah : 10%
Vaccarèse, Terret noir, Muscardin, Clairette, Picpoul, Picardan, Bourboulenc, Roussanne. : 15%

For some years, it only lists the first five wines (with identical percentages).

Parker, in issues 138 and 131 reports that the Grenache component is 40% (but in the first review of the wine, says it 30%).

I still think it’s a higher percent than 30% Grenache in 1998.

Most certainly can do. I have the 2000 here in Tokyo which I can pack with the two mystery wines I am bringing for you to taste. :slight_smile:

A very interesting survey, Doug.

Last month I opened a 98 Clos des Papes that I’d purchased in 2003 that had gone utterly feral. From Cellar Tracker, it looks like that may simply have been a bad bottle, but together with your results, it makes me question the hype about the vintage.