1988 Burgundies: your experiences?

Jerry - that '88 RSV has been “relaxing” now for 24 years! :slight_smile: That’s what frustrates me. Did you open it early? Maybe 6 or more hours of “slow-O” would coax it to perform with more civility…

I think Leroy was particularly hard back then.

so a bourgogne rouge and la Tache should expect the same aging curve ?

Nick - if you mean aging curve comment for me, I didn’t make it clear that it was a 1971 Chateau Latour. Not all the Leroys from 88 have been hard - the Vosne Aux Reas and Genevrieres were open early and the Vosne Brulees is coming around to be very good.

Jerry,
No, Nick’s comment about “Bourgogne and La Tache” referred to the comments made in posts at the top of this page. About that, I would add that I have had a couple domaine bottled village wines that were excellent at age 18 or so, but I can’t recall any Bourgogne Rouge that I aged that long, or that had the concentration early on that would lead me to believe it was capable of such aging. Otoh, a domaine bottled Bourgogne from Montille of that era might just be such a wine! :slight_smile: Come to think of it, I do have a Henri Jayer Bourgogne Rouge from 1991 in the cellar! My only Jayer wine left! It was a singleton, so I don’t know what to expect.

We’ve just done exactly that with an '88 DRC Richebourg for a NYE dinner tonight.

Looked pretty good, but has some pretty powerful tannins…

+1

I bought a case of Jadot Griotte Chambertin and the last 2 bottles that I opened reinforced the reason to age Burgundy. Fortunately, I have a couple left.

I went heavy on release–several cases–and managed to commit infanticide on most over the years–“just seeing if they are starting to come around.” They weren’t until quite recently. Roumier BM is a real stand-out as mentioned above. Rion’s NSGs were all very nice. Tasted fairly recently, Barthod Chambolle Cras and Courcel Epenots have both stood the test of time well.

Sorry Jerry . I was referring to Tom’s comments.