1986 Château La Lagune - Stunningly Good, Almost a Fail . . . .

What can I say? I expected to take one sip and pour it down the drain but was very pleasantly surprised. That it happened isn’t really debatable to me, but happy to have other folks think I’m full of s%#*.

I’m open to the possibility. Would have made a great April Fools Joke if someone had an observant spouse who switched it out after a couple of weeks and then poured a glass in front of the victim!!

Back in the day, I purchased a case of the 88 for $120. One of my all time best buys. All gone now.

Was in MacArthurs picking up some 2016s today and saw a bunch of the 1986 La Lagune for $70. Took one home to give it a try. Cork soaked 2/3 of the way up, no signs of leakage and base neck fill. Lots of tobacco leaf and cigar box on the nose, medium body, cassis, cherry and tea make for a nice complex mix, good balance, a bit on the acid side of perfect, medium finish. Excellent.

Opened a 1989 this weekend. Found it lacking a bit structure (used to the Sociando backbone, when talkin Haut Medoc), but the fragrances were just stunning. A very fine wine, but it cost quite a bit more than Sociando which is the better wine, IMO
It is Lagune in the glass on the left
IMG_20190330_175651.jpg