1986 Cabernet Suggestions

Caymus special selection (first choice)($199 online now)

Heitz Martha’s Vineyard (second choice $300 or so available online)

These two are benchmarks from the mid ‘80’s.

Forman and Mondavi!

What is wrong with me?

Those are great!

Surprised Mondavi hasn’t gotten more mentions.

Also, nice avatar Nick. That was the very first winery mailing list I ever joined, in 2012. That seems like eons ago.

I dropped the list a couple years later, not because I didn’t enjoy the wines - I just realized I don’t drink them often enough to warrant it. Still have a couple of cases that I’m still slowly working through. I’ve had library wines all the way back to 2003, and with 10+ years on them they get into a nice zone for me.

This.
And Talbot.

Another vote for the Montelena and Forman from California, and I would add Laurel Glen. It has been a few years since I had one, but I would guess they are still drinking well.

Ed

Provenance is the issue here. I’ll throw Laurel Glen into the mix.

The 86 Dominus is excellent, but perhaps hard to find <$200.

Plus any cabernet you can find from Ridge (of course): York Creek, Jimsomare and the indomitable Monte Bello.

Thanks Alan for highlighting WineBid as a great place to find birthday vintages. I’m the new CEO at WineBid and just starting to get involved with WineBerserkers. Not trying to sell or pitch anything, just answer questions and contribute where possible. For the 1986 birthday vintage, it’s easy to search by vintage and sort by lowest price to highest price, to find birthday vintages to fit any budget. Here is the preformatted search: "1986" | WineBid (Sorted by Lowest Price) Hope that helps and happy birthday to your friend! If this post is not appropriate or too pitchy, please let me know and I will take it down. newhere

Welcome Russ!

Just wanted to say I’m a huge WineBid fan. Love your platform (seamless/easy to use), unique selection of wines…and a huge shout out to your team who has always provided nothing but great customer service for years. Please keep up the great work!

Wendouree’s 1986 Cabernet is splendid.

Have not tried 86 specifically but mondavi reserves from other years in the 80s have been exxcellent

86 Ducru is amazing, though you’ll want to confirm it was recorded at the Chateau.

Thanks Rich for your awesome comments. The team here is very dedicated to providing the best customer service and I feel fortunate to have joined such a great organization. Thanks for your patronage and sharing your experience!