1983 dunn napa

The under the radar stellar vineyard source is in Coombsville, the Caldwell Vineyard.
I believe that vineyard became the first all French clone vineyard in Napa and it was also the regional nursery for ENTAV clones coming from a well known repository in Bordeaux.

I believe the vineyard name showed on the Pahlmeyer label for a few vintages and other than that there was little recognition.

Thanks for sharing this sucky news. After AG’s review on a vertical Dunn HM several months ago, I was super excited. He must have had a great bottle or really likes pine resin :neutral_face:

Agreed, I have saved 1984 and 1986 and 1987 Howell Mountain Cabs from that era. A 1986 is on deck as an anniversary wine.
I drank a 1985 Napa a couple of years ago and it was excellent, a shame about the 1985 Howell.

John, now that I think about it, I recall the etched & painted mags are the Napa bottling and not the Howell Mtn. They are from the Artist Series released in a few years in the mid-80s. I think there were 3 different '85 bottles, each numbered out of 200. Here’s an example of the '84 Artist Series https://lelandlittle.com/l/dunn-vineyards-magnums-vintage-1984/auction/701/lot/3416/ Is your bottle similar ?

Yep, that’s the bottle. I thought it was HM. Anyone try one of these, thoughts?

i got some '84 napa as part of that parcel so will try soon.