1983 Birth Year Wines

I really loved a well-stored 83 Mouton that I had several weeks ago, and the tariff was as reasonable as it gets for 1st growths. Rieussec and Yquem are also pretty damn good; in particular the Yquem might be great for people who don’t normally drink Sauternes - Neal Martin’s description of the Yquem as having an intense ‘attacking’ acidity is very apt

Can confirm this. Had the '83 Groth Reserve at the pre-Falltacular dinner. It was excellent.

I’ll second (or third?) Chateau Talbot '83, a wine that is really singing right now. I think '83 was really good in Alsace as well - I’ve had some great experiences with SGN’s recently.

Great wine

I think of 1983 as being an excellent but not great German wine vintage. But, Prum made great wine, as did von Schubert. Prum WS Gold Capsule Auslese is to die for.

My wife’s birth year is 1983, so I’ve had a number of them. The 1983 Guigal La Mouline is a killer wine. In Bordeaux, my favorites are Margaux, Palmer, Mouton (underrated IMO), Pichon Lalande, and d’Yquem.

Yes, Robin’s recent pre-Falltacular bottle was the #2 bottle in “twice” for me. Just a coincidence that the only other 1983 Napa Cab I have had in recent years was the same bottling. Have one more in the Vinotemp I should probably open soon.

Cheers!

Another vote for fantastic Gruaud 1983! Even better Pégau 1983 and Rayas Fonsalette cuvée Syrah 1983… Also had good Poyferre, Mission and Talbot, but below the magic Gruaud!

Agree - Mouton ´83 is fine and definitely better than Latour, on par with Lafite (but different) …