1981 wine

If you can track down a Ridge Monte Bello that might be a real nice bottle. I really enjoyed it about 10 years ago and seemed to have many years of life ahead of it.

81 Clos du Mesnil (Krug) is a superomfg wine, but LDH is a great value (well it used to be before their priecs went parabolic).

We were married in 1981 and have enjoyed a number of different CA Cabs (and others) over the years. I’m still holding Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill, Dunn Howell Mtn, and Ridge Monte Bello for future anniversaries. In the past few years, the other 2 Diamond Creek bottlings, Gravelly Meadow and Red Rock Terrace, have shown well, as has 1981 Grace Family and 1981 Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars. 2 pleasant surprises were 1981 Hanzell Cabernet and 1981 Joseph Swan Zinfandel.

Two years ago (to the day!) I had two lovely Ducru Beaucaillou and Leoville Las Cases, but have had nothing since. Previous experience with other 1981 Bordeaux was also positive.

If you’re open to something sweet, last weekend I had a 1981 Moulin Touchais that was singing beautifully.

Not mentioned yet, 1981 was a fairly strong year in Tuscany.

Probably not a lot of inventory on the deck day market, but worth keeping an eye out over time

How were the '81 Italians? I’ve been focused on trying the '81 Bordeauxs first. Wondered if '81 was a good vintage for Barolo or Barbaresco.

Sorry, haven’t had any other 81 besides the Amarone which I enjoyed. Hope to open a couple in April.

Vega Sicilia Unico is very special. Possibly the single best 1981.

Yes…the LdH wines from 81 are great.

81 is my birth year too. I’ve tried to open as many bottles as I can find. Best bottles include:

Krug CdM (with Faryan, mentioned above)
La Mish
Palmer
La Rioja Alta 904
Gruaud Larose
Bourdy Rouge
Musar
Cristal
BV Georges de Latour
Prum WS Kabinett
Montrose

Wines I need to try:

Vega
Beaucastel
Grange

I’ll second that Musar (rouge) suggestion. It’s one of the best vintages I’ve had for current drinking. I would definitely try to find a Broadbent imported bottle as they seem significantly better than some others.

Almost anything from Rioja. At the time it wasn’t considered as good as 1982, but every one that I’ve had has been wonderful, and BTW, by percentages, they made more than twice as much Gran Reserva in 1981 than they did in 1982. And you don’t need to stick with LdH either. There is in fact other wine made in Rioja. Moreover, those wines would be peaking whereas for me, CdP would be past prime. I haven’t had the Beaucastel so can’t say from first hand experience, but I really prefer most CdP much younger. So it depends on what you like.

Anyway, good luck and happy birthday.

I’ve been fortunate to drink a ton of 1981 wines, including almost everything mentioned. My favorites have consistently been (in no particular order):

Unico
Beaucastel
Grange
Krug Collection (magnum)
Lopez de Heredia (slight preference for Bosconia)(Gran Reserva Blanco is also very good in 1981)
Cheval Blanc
Charles Heidsieck “Champagne Charlie” (from the recent domaine release)
Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile (stunning…I was surprised how good it was)
La Mission Haut Brion
Paternnina Gran Reserva

Not just LdH, all of Rioja was pretty darn good that year. Personally, I prefer it to 1982. I just opened my last 1981 last month - a CVNE VR GR - and it was pretty darn beautiful.

Other than that I’ve had some wonderful Bordeaux, notably the Ducru mentioned upstream but also some that were good rather than great. Nothing recently though.

I opened an 81 LdB Bosconia Gran Reserve that was slightly corked for my birthday a few years ago. Womp womp. I’ve had several Gruaud 81s that are good, not great.

There were lots of fine wines made in the Haut Medoc that year. Las Cases is very good. Rare Wine Co has a bottle for$125…which is what I paid for a case back then.

1981 is a v. gd Grange vintage. It’s my nephew’s birth year so I opened one with him a couple of years ago and gave him the rest to take hime.