1979 Ch. Figeac - a wine from another era

I agree '75 Pomerols are great, but based on auction pricing over last few years not sure it’s hidden!

Capsule and cork
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8mdxCYnZo4/?igshid=88e07wnw8ign
Martin, next time we can make a comprehensive Figeac + Magdelaine vertical [cheers.gif]

That would be great, Claus. TAK

And Soren would be happy too. :wink:

Last year, I had a great Figeac 1998 (35% CS, 35% CF, 30% merlot) : 95/100 (logically ripe, elegantly balanced, excellent showing - as Kevin could say)

I had a great vertical in december 2009 : http://www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr/index.php/degustations-thematiques/verticales-domaine/591-20091204-verticale-figeac
“Our” Figeac 1979 was disappointing :
26. Château Figeac Saint-Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classé B 1979 (pas d’indication de degré)
DS(14?) - PC(13,5) - LG14,5 - PR13,5 - MS13,5 - CD13. Report by Pierre Citerne :
Niveau parfait. Dessus du bouchon (sous la capsule) : quelques moisissures.
Robe assez dense, voilée.
L’olfaction, peu amène, ressemble à celle d’une vieille syrah très végétale : suie, viande fumée, cuir et surtout notes « vertes » pouvant évoquer le petit pois ou l’asperge…Ce cousinage aromatique avec le Rhône septentrional tend à disparaître à l’aération, puis reviens…
Bouche bizarre, assez concentrée, peu harmonieuse, rude, très acide.

By Figeac standards of that era, the 1998 is a little riper, but in no way overripe. Perfect. It is also my favorite young(ish) Figeac in the modern era. Drinking beautifully now.

Just opened a bottle of the 1979 Figeac—really beautiful nose with some green notes that (for me) go great with everything else—loads of tobacco and black fruit. Not all that dissimilar from the 1978 I opened several weeks ago, though the Cabernet Franc is perhaps a bit more front and center here. Slightly better than a recent 1979 Magdelaine.

Lot of respect for the Figeac red here. We swapped an 82 Mouton for 3 bb of the Figeac - I figure we came out far ahead on that one. Am pretty much out of 79s now as I intentionally drank them while they were drinking well (last bottle was a Ducru that had the effrontery to be corked). Have one Latour left - thinking that will have held well.