1969 vs. 1970

Also, the 1967 Cheval Blanc (near Pomerol) was fantastic in the early 80s.

The 1970 vintage might be the best drinking Port Vintage right now. Beautifully mature and not fading at all.

I had '70 Trotanoy about five years ago, and it was in fine shape.

Can’t comment on 69 vs. 70 but can on Nick Peay. Have had the extreme pleasure of visiting the Peay vineyards out in Annapolis twice. They are some of the most beautiful vineyards I’ve been to and I’ve been too many. And Nick is just a great guy to hang with for a couple hours not to mention the wines are spectacular! Among my favorite wine country experiences of all time. If these are for you, I’ll add sincere Birthday Wishes to you Nick!

Nick,
69 was ok and sometimes very good here. Great in Burgundy but elsewhere??
70 is your better bet. Vintage Port?? Still good and not that expensive. California: you need a collector friend. Bordeaux: very good but at the end of its run. Latour should be great but how much? Barolo??
71 was great for Sauternes and German wine.There might be some good 70s around as well.

Good to know, thanks. I found a seller in Singapore. Will have one of my sons check it out when he’s there next week.

I would take Fun House! 69 in Burgundy. 70 in Bordeaux.

I had a couple of 1970 Bordeaux at the end of last year:

La Conseillante was quite good though not as good as a bottle I had long ago - at its best it was right up with the great bunch of 80’s La Conseillantes. I’m not sure if it’s fading or if my recent bottle wasn’t perfectly stored.

Pape Clement was excellent and still in great form. It’s a super vintage for the chateau.