19 Grenache/ Garnacha blind tasting

• 2011 Bonny Doon Vineyard Grenache Clos de Gilroy - USA, California, Central Coast (5/2/2013)
    Whoa, screw top alert! It’s not really the screw top per se, i have no problem with the twist off, but the bottle is literally filled to the VERY top of the bottle and a little spilled just opening. Dumped into a big pinot glass and gave it a good swirl. Humm, legs forming like it might be boozy. Quite dark color, like a ripe raspberry, and good clarity. First whiff is loaded with heat, this wine needs a solid decant so I waited 30 minutes. Nose is amazing; rose petals, dark fruit, sage, white pepper, and perfume. Palate really improved with time as the heat took a backseat to the mild dark fruit, green stem, sage, and blast of cayenne pepper. Mouthfeel is on the lean side, probably the alcohol at work here, but the finish is very long. I’d guess whole cluster was used as stem influence seems to show across the board and its not a fruit forward syrupy mess that some California Grenache turn into. Good value and enjoyable.

Posted from CellarTracker

BTW there’s zero chance this wine is 13.3%

What do you think it truly is and why would Randall, of all people, understate it?

Just never had heat like that with a 13% wine, that’s all. If it said 14.8 I’d have believed it.

And I know Adam Lee has clearly showed that all ABV is not clearly distinguished by even worthy palates.

Not throwing stones at Randall, probably best to restate as “I would have guessed the ABV much higher, like upper 14’s” versus the “proclamation” I made previously.

Just never had heat like that with a 13% wine, that’s all. If it said 14.8 I’d have believed it.

And I know Adam Lee has clearly showed that all ABV is not clearly distinguished by even by worthy palates.

Not throwing stones at Randall, probably best to restate as “I would have guessed the ABV much higher, like upper 14’s” versus the “proclamation” I made previously.