19 Echezeaux restaurant pick

Thanks @Gaudissabois_Johan ! More food for thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can choose between the 19 and the 17 then of course the 19 is the superior vintage. 17 on the other hand was very light (even too?) out of cask but it gained weight after having been bottled. For now I would try the 17 since it is, of course, early days for the 19. . However, if the latter is drunk now on his baby fat…could be spectacular !
SINCERELY JOHAN

1 Like

Chateauneuf du Echezeaux - wow! Unlike 95% of most people I am not much of a current fan of 2019 in red Burgundy because of the ripeness, but I guess there’s something to be said for wearing it proudly :grinning:.

1 Like

16 degrees of alcohol? That’s not ripeness but overripeness. Not to be found in the Burgundies I bought which did not include ROUGET Emmanuel.
SINCERELY JOHAN

1 Like

To me, of recent vintages, 2017 is the one drinking the best right now.

2 Likes

It’s a number that makes you rub your eyes. Apparently not overripe so much as a peculiar outcome from hydric stress leading into harvest. I hope this leaves a chance for some sense of integration to the wine to be enjoyable at some point as a unique vintage example, by no means a style that’s my personal preference to be sure.

I certainly hear you and would agree in abstract, with some amount of similar preference. I haven’t had nearly enough ‘19 across producers to have a useful POV yet.

Others who are much more knowledgeable seem to think there will be more than enough examples freshness or elegance to balance out the vintage’s headline of concentration or ripeness.

I’ll be shocked if that holds true for the Rouget, but it will make a “memorable” outlier for some.