11's in Bottle and 12's in Barrel in Burgundy

Tried the 2011 Maison Ilan from barrel. Made me glad I took my entire allocation. All were wonderful wines.

Cheers!

Thanks for the report Don. I’m with you on the Mugneret-Gibourg wines. I love the style & they have become some of my favorite wines in all of Burgundy. I’ve only been to a handful of cellars in Burgundy & the sisters made us feel like they had nothing better to do than let a couple of yahoos from the US taste their 2009s & 2010s. It was a great experience.

Thanks for the update Don. I too really liked the whites, they have nice minerally acidity and excellent purity and definition. They do not have the density of the previous few vintages but are delicious and well balanced in the main. The reds are a little more variable than 09 and 10 and certainly don’t have the weight of 08, 09 or 10. There are some deliciously fruity wines and they tend to really speak of their specific terroirs. There is certainly a spicy/herbal, cool fruit character to some wines but not at 04 GM level.
Best Regards
Jeremy

Jon,
We had the Coche 06 Perrieres which might be one of the wines of the trip last night. The real value is the Coche 09 Perrieres at a very reasonable price.
Lots of great wines. We did a blow out night. Vogue 89 Musigny VV. Michel Ganoux Grand Epenots 1996. Ramonet Batard 10. 2004 Raveneau Chablis
The Pigeonneu dish at Aupres du Clocher is a religious experience.

Thanks Jeremy for this perspective. You tasted a much broader range of producers I am sure. We only tasted 11 red in bottle from Bertheau, Mugneret-Gibourg and Bouchard. The only place I picked up a little of the spicy, slightly unripe character was a 11 Gevrey village from Bouchard. Hopefully this will be a savory element like Dujac. I was surprised at the quality of the 11’s I tasted in red. I know I only got a small slice of experience however. These reds and whites from 11 seem to be wines to savor in the mid range rather than wines to age like 08/09/10. (I am not getting any younger so this is good news to me.) FWIW.
Cheers.

Agreed Don…I tasted the 11s in barrel in November and I was uniformly impressed with them.

It look like you are having a wonderful trip Don. Love Après du Clocher and of course have a very special place in my heart for l’ Hotel, as that is where we had my birthday party last December. They did an outstanding job for us. Agree with you on the 11’s. I was surprised how much I liked the wines…and we did get a pretty broad perspective tasting up and down the Cote…tasting at Dujac, MG, Fourrier,Mugnier, DRC, Vogue, etc. Agree they are wines to enjoy while waiting on the 09’s and 10’s.

Outstanding. Thorougly enjoyed the Roger Nellans Bday party at the Bistro L’Hotel last year. Need to hit Aupres du Clocher next visit.

“Le cul bordé de nouilles” = literally - your rear end is surrounded by noodles (you’re extremely lucky)

Sante.

RT