1064 Bottles of H. Jayer wines to be auctioned in June

Looks legit to me too.

I get “video is unavailable” with the link? anyone else/any other link/search?

No wonder Henri was so reluctant to sell bottles at the winery…he was hoarding it all for his family…he was no fool.

me too.

Viewed the video at Approximately 11:00 AM EST.

Now, unavailable!

IT police, Pleeez!

What video? :wink:

[popcorn.gif]

If these are legit, and I have no reason to doubt the authenticity, the daughters are sitting on a gold mine. Looking at auction data for Cros-P, top vintages like 1978, 1985 and 1990 sell for $12,000 per bottle. Other vintages seem to be in the $6k to $9K range. When you add the impeccable provenance coupled with the signed labels (btw what amazing forethought for the family to have the master sign the labels), these bottles should carry a heavy premium over the current market. My guess is a 20-40% premium? So depending on the mix of vintages and sizes, the 469 bottles of Cros-P probably will sell for an average of above $10K per bottle, with top vintages approaching $20K per 750ml bottle. That is ~$5-6M for the Cros-P portion of the cellar.

Didn’t Christie’s sell his cellar in 2012?

the sale of wines from Henry Jayer’s estate is a historic event featuring the rare vintages with perfect condition and origin. The opportunity would never be repeated with its extraordinary rarity. The rarest and finest wine was sold from the Hong Kong office of Christie. The recent auction of Henry Jayer’s wines on 10th of February 2012 revealed the demand for old and rare wines. Christies sold seven hundred and forty four wine bottles directly from the Henri Jayer’s private cellar with 644 normal bottles and 100 magnums. The evening sale offered ninety eight lots with huge range of vintages from Master Burgundy Henri Jayer’s private cellar which made the auction unique.

The bottles were sold for US$8.5 million or more than HK$66 million. The sale included a case of 1985 Vosne-Romanee premier cru Cros Parantoux and three bottles of 1978 Richebourg. The sale demonstrated the Asian clients ‘passion for burgundy wines. The once in a life time sale confirms the potentiality of Hong Kong market for rare wine. The estimation of Pre-sale was smashed by 100 or 200% margins. 1987’s three magnums of Cros Parantoux reached three hundred and three percent.

a version of the video still seems to be up on youtube

Thanks for posting. That video certainly looks legitimate, although it does not look like the bottles/labels are individually signed by H. Jayer as someone reported. The shipping boxes are all stamped with an authentication seal from the Domaine, I supposed to help prove provenance direct from the cellar to the auction house. It’s going to be fun to see what that auction generates. . .

I would guess that they will have the daughters at the auction, the bidding will be nuts

Keep in mind I posted a google translation of the RdF article. I believe the translated word “signed” refers to “produced”.

That is the first thing that came to my mind, and I looked it up last night. The sale did not specifically state it was the entire rest of his collection, however.

The video brings a great deal of validity to the sale, and while I would research it further if I were a buyer, from the sidelines I would shocked if that were faked.

Prior to seeing the video, I had my own grave doubts- as would anyone in the current marketplace- but interestingly I was able to alleviate one of them in looking over the 2012 Christie’s detail last night. Specifically, I was wondering how a sale of 1,064 bottles would be over 40% Cros Parantoux. But in the 2012 sale, almost a third of the bottles offered were Parantoux, so the proportions here are not out of line. I did not realize that he had kept back so much of the production.

Jayer’s fondness for the magnum format is well known, so that alone does not spark concern.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. There is certainly the potential here for records that may well stand for a very, very long time.

I think that the daughters need to be authenticated, examined by a physician and their dental records studied to verify they they are indeed the offspring of Henri Jayer.

This sounds like a lot of bottles but it’s just three and a half barrels - not really that much in the context of a domaine cellar. It doesn’t seem surprising for them to hold back this many.

I guess Jayer realized how valuable his cellar is and may become. Therefore it isn’t surprising that he hold back a significant amount of bottles. Any clever winemaker would do this. The daughters will have a good life after the sale. That’s for sure.

1064 over 29 vintages does not seem like he was holding back very many. That’s about 3 cases per vintage.

Trying to buy a bottle from him at the estate was murder. I got two bottles during one trip and they guy made me feel that I had taken his daughters’ inheritance.

Emmanuel Rouget will be there to vouch that they are his cousins…and someone will be there to vouch for Rouget…the guy who runs the convenience store in Flagey.

I still can’t get the video to run through…it stops about 10 seconds into it.

Looks like you did take from their inheritance ha

Their only regret is selling some in the 2012 auction that was sold at 50 to 100% less than this auction. I would love to buy a mag…he was and is a magician.

I always that Martine had the largest collection of Jayer as she had pallets of it that weren’t sold thru channels.