100% tariffs - effect on other regions’ prices ?.

Maybe just speak easy.

this

Windsor was a lot less iffy than Detroit when I was in my teens (1970s). When we went, it wasn’t for Chinese food.

My initial thoughts are that Champagne prices here in Australia should fall. Given that we are a reasonable market for Champagne considering our population size, I suspect that some focus will be put on our market and others, to take up the slack that will be sales lost in The States. I’m not so sure now. We were notified of a pending price increase from LVMH, kicking in on the 1st of February, right across their range (from 3-7%). Perhaps other markets will cop discretionary price rises so that the Champagne houses can offset some of the tariff caused increases in The States?

I don’t know yet about prices; but I do know that Philippine allocations for rarified champagnes are going to increase (a close friend whose company locally distributes Salon, Selosse, as well as de Vogüé, etc. told me so). I doubt their prices will go down as regards those labels though, as those labels are smaller production, and there are more than enough people here willing to pay for those wines. I’m pretty sure I get my own tiny share of those bottles only because the owners of that distribution company are my friends.

I’m in Vancouver this week and had a 2017 Le Vieux Pin - Cuvee Violets syrah from the South Okanagan. I’d enjoyed one five years ago and bought one to take back to NY and stash away. The current release is even better – approximating a Cote Rotie in flavor profile and structure. I’ll take a couple back with me (along with the Donnhoff Grauburgunder I found, which can’t be had in the US).

I don’t know about the impact on prices, but I’d guess that Argentina would be one of the biggest beneficiary. If you’ve buying lesser Bordeauxs, Argentinian malbec may be the easy substitute in a similar price range.

Interesting “share-the-wealth pain” philosophy!

Strange logic. If you are going to have more stuff for sale in future and you want to shift it, surely you’d cut the price not increase it.

Maybe this was a decision made before the tariff news.

Niagara wins on the Chardonnay front. But the Okanagan has some interesting Syrah and I think it will be the best red grape for the region. Sparklers and Riesling are what I think are most successful from the white perspective.