100 Points by Robert Parker

Hey, I think that was sarcasm! flirtysmile

I also wonder who they’ll recruit to write, or if the content will be largely freelance.

Maybe Jay McInerney, who left the Wall Street Journal a couple days ago.

Seems like a pretty insane move. Does Bob have any credibility when it comes to writing about watches, jets, or even food? I don’t see it unless the WA brings together some writers and he simply becomes a contributor. But wine isn’t going to drive it.

Seems like linking up with Martha Stewart or Oprah would be a better plan.

Hold on – is this magazine going to be called 100 Points? If Parker is going to grade all kinds of lifestyle accomplishments on a 100-Point scale, not only would I subscribe, I think Comedy Central has beaten him to it.

“Smothering these 15 pancakes in butter and syrup is a 97!”

Looking forward to the pain grillé recipes.

Glad you liked it Ian.

5-4-3-2-1 Welcome back Mr. Klapp!

Gotta figure he’s lurking here and this is literally tearing him apart! :slight_smile:

A+ mock thread. I mean, this can’t be real, right?

It is real. I would quote the announcement, but then Todd would get more love letters from Bob’s attorneys.

Parker is just trolling WB. That is the only explanation that makes any sense.

The recent threats Todd received from Parker’s attorneys regarding copyright violation are why I didn’t cut and paste. But several others have confirmed that this is real.

I can’t really fault the ownership group or Bob, whoever will own this, for wanting to cash in. It’s a far cry from what attracted me to Bob back in the '80s, but it’s not my place to tell them how to run their business

The notion that Parker’s attorneys would legally threaten WB for helping publicize his new lifestyle venture is an apt demonstration of how far things have gone off the rails at WA.

Potential articles:

Bryan Flannery Beef - Still As Good As When We Wrote About It Last Month!

Going For A Bike Ride After Telling Off People Who Disagree With You To Prove You Don’t Care - God I Miss the Old Days!

Ellipses…The Platinum Standard of Punctuation…

Great similarities between the rise and fall of Gault and Millau (who did to French cuisine what Parker did to their wine) and that of Parker.

G and M got into all rating all sorts of consumer items when their restaurant influence started to fizzle.

He certainly can offer some great tips for Sushi pairing.

Bob is looking and acting more like this guy with every passing day.
Orson Welles #2.jpg

Orson’s hair was neater.

+100

In the pictures of him taken back in Feb he doesn’t look good; my first thought was he looks sick?

I don’t think he’s in great health. A number of his medical problems have been discussed in other threads and by Parker himself.

So, Parker’s making a magazine out of “The Hedonist’s Gazette”? Sounds like a good plan!

[snort.gif]

BTW this deal is with the Hubert Burda Media Co. based in Germany. According to RP, they possess “a keen understanding of our need to maintain the independence that is paramount and at the core of TWA name and credibility.That is an essential prerequisite to the continuation of our independence and reliable ability to offer intelligent and well-reasoned judgements free of external influence.”

I assume a “lifestyle” magazine would be about all kinds of luxury stuff, not just wine? So how can it not be a conflict of interest to accept advertising from say Rolex if you’re going to review watches?