09's including 7xDRC's, 2 Rousseau Big Boys and Faiveley Moose

Hi Claude, I think it was the interview Antonio Galloni did with Aubert de Villaine, I believe he said the 2009’s were more for the longterm. I should run the interview again to be check… Cheers Mike

I haven’t seen the Galloni interview, Mike, but more structured vintages don’t automatically give longer life. Both Aubert and Jacques Lardière compare 2009 to 1959, another vintage that showed less “structure” than some other vintages but where the wines are still going strong.

Hi Claude, just ran the interview again. In summary:
2010 - saved by the long fine Autumn, unusual, it was a great surprise (questions whether it is climate change???)
2009 - kind of vintage one wishes for - quantity, quality, seduction, purity… for aging… like 1959.
Cheers Mike

I wouldn’t say the '09 were well structured, they were big but not really defined.

One point a bit missed here is how bad the Leflaive '09 Batard was. Leflaive seems to do badly in riper years (with both the '03’s and '06’s being decidedly very average), and this seems to have continued somewhat with the '09’s. I really didn’t like it, it looked quite ripe and alcoholic, with a decidedly caramel note to it, and would have probably scored this wine around 87pts on the night.

Lots of talk also around the table on how their wines aren’t really as good now as they used to be…especially since the change in winemaker.

As an aside, on my visit with Freddy Mugnier last year, he felt that the 09 vintage had more potential in the long haul than the 08…which I found quite interesting and counter to my thinking.

The wine makers believe that, when the fruit of the -09 has resided, they will become great wines. Maybe they are right? For my taste 2010 is the best vintage I have tasted, but maybe -09 will catch up in 10 years time?

I can see the the discussion going on for decades, certainly of interest to me and I also prefer the 2010’s to date. BTW I secured the 2010 Faiveley Musigny (1 bottle for NZ) and Les Ouvrees Rodin - a couple more… Cheers Mike

There will always be interesting debate regarding the difference of each vintage of certain wines.Guess it is one of the reason why we are so passionate about them.

That being said…I firmly believe the best way to enjoy them will always be : when to open them - according to your own personal preference. [cheers.gif]

*******Freddy Mugnier - felt that the 09 vintage had more potential in the long haul than the 08…which I found quite interesting and counter to my thinking ******

Certainly at the top end, but not even then with every wine or region, I can see that many '08 look like they will be better than their '09 counterparts…but there is no way you can really make a broad generalisation about the two vintages as they are so different.

I would bet though that many of the top end wines '08’s live longer and look better with long aging than many similar '09’s…DRC included.

Doug, I have been banned from taking photos since my last effort at our R.C dinner.

Hans, I just took delivery of some more 10 Faiveleys today but sadly no ‘Ouvrees Rodin’. I guess I’ll have to drink Anthony’s bottle.

Paul, The Leflaive 09 Batard was a bit disspointing as are their 06’s but the 10’s looked brilliant at the Domaine earlier this year so keep the faith.

Best Regards
Jeremy