'09 Ruinart, '10 Carillon les Perrieres, '07 Lafarge les Caillerets, '03 Armand clos des Epeneaux, '10 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays

I enjoyed a recent dinner out with a few friends at the newly opened The Black Sheep restaurant, a locally owned and operated- “SB Brasserie” modern-classic California-French Pub.

The food and service was terrific and we now have another winner to add to the many fine restaurants in Santa Barbara.

We drink and ate well as each ordered our own courses. Since there was only 4 for us, we were able to track each wine over the course of the entire evening as they went through their various stages and our palates changed from various food intake.

Here’s some wine notes:

2009 DOMAINE RUINART BLANC de BLANC- 80% of the cuvée is from Avize, Chouilly, Oger and Le Mesnil, plus 20% Montagne de Reims; aged on its lees for 8 years and disgorged March 2018 with a dosage of 4 gpl; this was the 2nd bottle I`ve opened in the last month and it was by far the better of the two being much more expressive in every way; I should add, the first bottle was very good; this one was rich and full bodied showcasing wondrous citrus fruit with lemon and lime most prevalent and a coat of honey to add to the flavor profile; it had a streak of bright acidity running all the way through which sure ensure longevity.

2010 JACQUES CARILLON LES PERRIERES PULIGNY-MONTRACHET 1er Cru- having the advantage to follow this wine over the course of the evening proved to be significant as it went through lots of phases and finally landed on being a beautifully balanced, magnificent wine; it started out with a somewhat muted nose, but in time, huge aromas of flint and minerals took over and were joined by honeyed apple, lemon and lime on the palate; background accents of licorice/ fennel also came in late; it had a wondrous soft and oily mouthfeel and finished with everything coming together for a grand, lasting impression.

2007 DOMAINE MICHEL LAFARGE LES CAILLERETS VOLNAY 1er Cru- I decanted this 2 hours ahead; following its grainy red purple color came mild aromas of smoke, burnt red cherry and cranberry which also made up a good proportion of the taste profile; later on, a nice mild touch of talc, vanilla and caramel joined in; it was medium to full bodied and took a while to settle out before providing a nice, overall pleasing experience; 2 nights later, the remnants were consumed with consistent notes and an added note of blueberry.

2003 COMTE ARMAND CLOS DES EPENEAUX MONOPOLE POMMARD 1er Cru- popped and poured; the nose had a bit of Brett in the form of bandaid/ barnyard; thus, the 4-ethylphenol type; additional aromas of red berries and rose petals served to ease the Bretty component all the way through; once tasted, it gave some dried red cherry/ berry fruit while being delivered in a soft and velvety textured medium; in time, it also came together with everything nicely balanced and with the barnyard notes in the background.

2010 DOMAINE DES LAMBRAYS CLOS DES LAMBRAYS GRAND CRU- decanted 1 hour; when it came time to pull a red Burg for this evening, this was one of my choices and I deferred in favor of the seemingly more ready Volnay and was super happy to see this show up; what a fabulous wine this is; it just hits all of the sensory receptors with grace and charm with such a pleasing taste, mouthfeel and impeccable balance; talc and spice provide just the right accent to the red raspberry/ red cherry notes in the nose which continue on to be joined by black raspberry and blackberry; the soft, silky texture perfectly complimented the talc component and when it was all over and done with, I made a note to include this in my top 5 wines of the year.

Great fellowship, food, wines, service and ambience made for a great evening.

Cheers,
Blake

5 Likes

2010 JACQUES CARILLON LES PERRIERES PULIGNY-MONTRACHET 1er Cru - Having the advantage to follow this wine over the course of the evening proved to be significant as it went through lots of phases and finally landed on being a beautifully balanced, magnificent wine; it started out with a somewhat muted nose, but in time, huge aromas of flint and minerals took over and were joined by honeyed apple, lemon and lime on the palate; background accents of licorice/ fennel also came in late; it had a wondrous soft and oily mouthfeel and finished with everything coming together for a grand, lasting impression.

I love this note, my friend. Both of the 2010’s sound amazing, but I’m particularly heartened that this lovely Carillon got the space to really blossom. Some Pups just need to get off-leash. A beautiful note & a lovely wine.

1 Like

Another appropriate post Sir Nick. Always appreciated.