05 Mt Eden Chard, 13 Navarro Grenache, 05 St Innocent Chard

One chardonnay showed why it should be aged … the other, not so much.

• 2005 Mount Eden Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/9/2017)
    Wow. Mt Eden Chardonnays are stunning. This is in a perfect spot right now. There is a lot of oak here and it really works in this wine. Acid is on the lower side but it is far from flabby. Lemon, pears and a bit of honeysuckle. Nice flinty elements on the nose. Color shows it’s age but the palate just shows pure balance. Delicious with and without food. (95 pts.)
  • 2013 Navarro Vineyards Grenache - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (2/9/2017)
    Just took delivery on this one. Upon opening the aromatics were like a young wine with baby fat. A bit of cherry bubble gum. Not my favorite. The palate was wonderful. On the feminine side. Hints of pinot noir. My favorite rhone wines do that. Strawberries mixed with blackcurrant Ribena. The texture is wonderfully silky. Drinks fine now but could use a few years. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 St. Innocent Chardonnay Anden - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/31/2017)
    When I had this in 2013 it was terrific but showing very fragile. i didn’t realize I had another bottle. This was pretty oxidized. Still had some interesting elements of white fruits but way past its prime.

Cheers,
Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes, Jason. I have had several different vintages of the Mount Eden Estate Chardonnay, and none of them were better to my palate than the 2005. What a great vintage. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,
If you liked the 2005 Chard, you’ll love the 2005 Pinot! flirtysmile

TTT