03 Pavie Macquin

It was a long time ago now and I no longer have access to RMP’s stuff, but what I remember is a discrepancy between his guarded general vintage guide and the EP notes/scores he gave to the wines. It may not have been announced as the best ever, but there was not much to suggest just how awful some of the wines were either. I had no idea just how different the tastes were and bought heavily EP - big mistake. I think he described Quinault L’Enclos as a “sleeper”, which at the time was a good sign - I bought a case - one of the worst wines I have ever tasted. This is just one example, there were many others, like GPL, which showed me for the first time that he had lost his mojo, at least as far as I was concerned.

As for the “unanimously in favour” bit, I was talking about the reactions on Ebob when the bottles arrived - I still recall the threads comparing them to 1982!

I sold nearly all of mine, before buying some back over the last two years to make a case of birth-year wine for one of my daughters. I did what I should have done in the first place - wait at least ten years, then buy according to in-bottle reputations. Most of the dozen or so wines I have bought have indeed been really good.