'00" Corton-Charlemagne 2017...$325!

And you wonder why winemakers generally avoid these types of forums. In the post you objected to, he praised eight other Oregon chardonnay producers (nine if you include himself) for making high-quality chardonnay. And yet you still want to punish him.

What he actually did was criticize a producer that has been getting better scores and press than he has and is apparently pricing their wines aggressively. We can draw our own inferences about what was behind the comments.

Not only winemakers, anyone who owns a business should be very careful about engaging the public one-on-one via social media. It is rarely a good idea in my opinion. No matter what you say will offend someone, and sometimes a lot more than just one someone. Admittedly, I closely follow only a handful of producers, but I can’t think of a single example of any of them commenting on their competitors in a way that could be interpreted negatively. They talk about their own work, and leave it at that. Seems like a smart policy to me, but YMMV.

Marcus’ comments were generally complimentary. Not sure how saying that the wine being in the top tier of Oregon producers is criticism.

I’ve had a few 00 wines. They’re fine, but not really in the league of WS for their Oregon offerings.

I haven’t had the CC but am not going to seek it out at that price point. $325 will buy PYCM mp from a good vintage.

You know, most of Marcus’ posts about other producers are positive. He’s definitely a cheerleader for other Willamette producers 99% of the time. I suppose he shouldn’t say positive things about his competitors, as well?

1 Like

No, we can’t.

And in your opinion it is “rarely a good idea” for anyone who owns a business to engage with the public one-on-one via social media. Got it.

2 Likes

I don’t know what your business is, but you are already not creating a good impression.

I though I had unsubscribed from this thread lol.

1 Like

Kevin, you indicate that you don’t know what Vincent’s business is. Vincent makes wonderful wines in Willamette, and is a frequent poster on this board.

It seems like you don’t follow Willamette winemaking very closely, and certainly don’t follow it on this forum. There’s no fault in that - you like what you like.

But if you had, see a number of things: Marcus knows a helluva lot about wine and winemaking. He’s incredibly passionate about not just the wines he produces but the wines around him (check out thisthis thread . He’s been a part of the wine scene in Willamette for decades now. And he’s incredibly generous with his insight (both on this forum, via email, and in person).

You’ll also see that while he’s quite passionate he’s also even-handed. If you’ve followed him and interacted with him, you’d see that he has no hidden agenda. He’s worked hard not just to make great wines, but to promote Willamette in general. That two winemakers have already come here to say so speaks to that.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I have to draw a different conclusion.

At this point I’m thinking Kevin owns part of 00 LOL

p.s. marcus is one of the very best winemakers in Oregon imo. I love his wines.

1 Like