Les Clos--Aging and Plot Differences

Wine industry guests, bringing their expertise to WineBerserkers for week-long question/answer sessions
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Les Clos--Aging and Plot Differences

#1 Post by Frank Murray III » January 30th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Guillaume, over this past weekend, we opened a number of bottles of Dauvissat produced from the Les Clos grand cru. The 95 and 97 were the oldest and both continued to remain fresh, especially the 95. For your Les Clos, what are you expecting as an aging window in comparison to that of say Dauvissat? You have some vintages going back 20 years from this property--what are you finding on the older Michel Les Clos cuvees?

And futher, within the Les Clos, are there distinct differences within this plot that can translate into the wines from the various producers, say Raveneau, Brocard, yours?
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Guillaume Michel

Re: Les Clos--Aging and Plot Differences

#2 Post by Guillaume Michel » February 3rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

Another difficult question, and sorry I missed it before!!

Of course each winemaker has its own philosophy and techniques, which makes the interest of wine. And in Les Clos you'll have different personalities differents wines depending if you open a bottle from Vincent Dauvissat, Michel or Brocard... It's also important to be able to recognize a terroir in a bottle, who ever has made it.

We make wines that needs time to open up. They can seem closed when young, especially in Les Clos which is a very complex and powerful wine, but which will need 10 to 20 years to developp and show its personnality.

Return to “Special Wine Guests - Guillaume Michel (Archive)”