Cake Cutting Fee?

I was reading a story from a local blogger about a birthday celebration and she mentioned that a restaurant charged her a $3 per person cake cutting fee because her party brought in their own cake. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

The BYO thing is getting out of hand. [rofl.gif]

Yes.

Project Wedding is Now WeddingWire - WeddingWire.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Isn't a $100 Cake Cutting Fee a Tad Aggressive? - Eater NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its been around for at least 20 years that I know of. Quite common.

Yes, I have heard of this. I can see both sides of this. Someone is having a special dinner and the restaurant doesn’t have the ability to make a special desert. Thus the restaurant allows the party to bring in a cake and they will serve it up and provides plates/forks/… for a fee.

The smart restaurateur hides the fee in the per-person/meal rate so as not to surprise anybody. [wink.gif]

Yeah, but when it’s 8 women from the bridge club who ask for separate checks - because every one of them is worried she’ll have to pay more than what her individual meal cost ("You had the Cobb Salad and it costs fifty cents more than my Chicken Caesar, and I only had one glass of wine!) - it’s hard to hide the fee. [bow.gif]

Absolutely. $3 is very fair.

Yup. Such a fee is common. $3 is very reasonable.

How about $25 for four? Forkage Fee - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don’t think I’d like to run a restaurant these days.

Its not that it sounded outrageous, I had just never heard of it before. Perhaps because it has never occurred to me to bring my own dessert to a restaurant. Mostly because I am not a big dessert person, but certainly not because I don’t enjoy the practice of BYO . . .

I think that’s reasonable, too.

So do I.