The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
GregP
Posts: 466
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3251 Post by GregP » March 4th, 2019, 9:11 am

ERPark wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 10:21 pm
GregP wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 9:04 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 3:34 pm
which bourbon are you talking about? Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB? MSRP is $90 on it, and it's selling for $200+ on the secondary market. If you can find it for $75 you should buy all you can.
I'll stop by this coming week to verify, saw it in 2 local shops (same owner) a few weeks back, but since I never had them before and had no idea what they are walked away.
Did they look like the bottles I posted? I’m thinking you may be mixing up Old Forester with Old Fitzgerald. They’re not one and the same.
No, I think that's the one.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3252 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 4th, 2019, 9:24 am

There are other old Fitzgerald that aren’t the limited editions. If that’s what it actually is, you should buy every single bottle at that price.

B.J. Law
Posts: 15
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:10 am
Location: Toronto

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3253 Post by B.J. Law » March 4th, 2019, 9:25 am

On a recent road trip to Niagara Falls NY i stumbled on a bunch of bottles of Mckenna 10 for $38. A few dollars high but I cannot pass it up when I find BIB 10 yr bourbon for a reasonable price. I love heaven hill stuff
Bryan Law

GregP
Posts: 466
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3254 Post by GregP » March 4th, 2019, 9:51 am

B.J. Law wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
On a recent road trip to Niagara Falls NY i stumbled on a bunch of bottles of Mckenna 10 for $38. A few dollars high but I cannot pass it up when I find BIB 10 yr bourbon for a reasonable price. I love heaven hill stuff
Why is that such as great deal when Total Wine has it at that price? Is Bourbon market in Canada that different? Just curious.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3255 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 4th, 2019, 10:25 am

McKenna is pretty easy to find in that price range.

B.J. Law
Posts: 15
Joined: January 29th, 2019, 11:10 am
Location: Toronto

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3256 Post by B.J. Law » March 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm

GregP wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:51 am
B.J. Law wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
On a recent road trip to Niagara Falls NY i stumbled on a bunch of bottles of Mckenna 10 for $38. A few dollars high but I cannot pass it up when I find BIB 10 yr bourbon for a reasonable price. I love heaven hill stuff
Why is that such as great deal when Total Wine has it at that price? Is Bourbon market in Canada that different? Just curious.
McKenna isn't available in Canada except for secondary markets. The LCBO trend would likely charge $80+ for a bottle like that based on our 40% Duty on liquor.
Bryan Law

GregP
Posts: 466
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3257 Post by GregP » March 4th, 2019, 4:35 pm

B.J. Law wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm
GregP wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:51 am
B.J. Law wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 9:25 am
On a recent road trip to Niagara Falls NY i stumbled on a bunch of bottles of Mckenna 10 for $38. A few dollars high but I cannot pass it up when I find BIB 10 yr bourbon for a reasonable price. I love heaven hill stuff
Why is that such as great deal when Total Wine has it at that price? Is Bourbon market in Canada that different? Just curious.
McKenna isn't available in Canada except for secondary markets. The LCBO trend would likely charge $80+ for a bottle like that based on our 40% Duty on liquor.
Thanks for the info, sad to see such a crazy tax on it.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

User avatar
Jeannean/Ryman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 153
Joined: March 4th, 2016, 5:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3258 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » March 8th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I've been trying different bourbons for the last few years, and last week, bought my first bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed because a lot of reviews on the LL/G series (2018/116.8 proof) have stated it was fantastic (especially for the price). They weren't wrong! I'm not a big WT 101 fan, but this stuff is in a whole other league. Lots of caramel, vanilla, and spice...so very nice! If you go looking, make sure the laser code is an LL/G... and not LL/F...(those are the 2017 batch and not nearly as good apparently). One store I went to only had the LL/F's but another store had the LL/G's. This at $40 and available everywhere is a no brainer. I'm not going to be sad anymore about not finding Blanton's very often. This Rare Breed is really good (I went back and bought a case.)

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4735
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3259 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 9th, 2019, 8:32 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:25 am
McKenna is pretty easy to find in that price range.
How is it?

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3260 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 9th, 2019, 8:50 am

It’s very good, solid sipper. Nothing world beating.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4735
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3261 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 9th, 2019, 9:29 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:50 am
It’s very good, solid sipper. Nothing world beating.
What is the best bargain bourbon available at the PLCB?

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3262 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 9th, 2019, 9:36 am

At what price point?

30 or less:
Buffalo trace single barrel
Weller SR
wild turkey 101
Eagle rare 10

50 or less:
Rare breed
Knob creek
1920 (right around 50)

70 or less:
Blanton

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4735
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3263 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 9th, 2019, 10:04 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 9:36 am
At what price point?

30 or less:
Buffalo trace single barrel
Weller SR
wild turkey 101
Eagle rare 10

50 or less:
Rare breed
Knob creek
1920 (right around 50)

70 or less:
Blanton
Sounds good. Blanton inventory is currently 1 50ml bottle in the state.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3264 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 9th, 2019, 10:22 am

They’ll restock, Ive bought like a case of it in the last year from there.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14765
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3265 Post by Craig G » March 9th, 2019, 10:35 am

Has anyone tried David Nicholson 1843? I bought one because one of the K&L blurbs said it was quite similar to Weller Antique, which was the first Bourbon I found that I really liked. I haven’t had a chance to compare them directly but I do like the 1843 a lot (currently it’s my choice for an Old Fashioned if I use Bourbon). It’s easy to find locally and not expensive ($23 at Total Wine). Antique has mostly disappeared except one local place which is now charging $50 for it.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3266 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 9th, 2019, 11:00 am

I have, it’s ok, not as good as the antique but not bad.

User avatar
EHeffner
Posts: 424
Joined: March 13th, 2018, 8:23 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3267 Post by EHeffner » March 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Had a fair share of angels envy last night. Sure love their bourbon and rye
E v @ n

GregP
Posts: 466
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3268 Post by GregP » March 9th, 2019, 12:24 pm

EHeffner wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Had a fair share of angels envy last night. Sure love their bourbon and rye
One of the best in the under $50 range, IMO. And many a time available at $35-40.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3069
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3269 Post by ERPark » March 11th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Got the last few bottles of Henry McKenna 10 year BiB @ a local Costco just now for $26.99 per.
GEN3

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3270 Post by Robert M yers » March 13th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Just got an email for a liquor lottery for Ohio residents. Double Eagle Rare and O.F.C. 1993, price are 2k and 2.5k. Certainly not going to win, and don’t know if I could drink them anyways, but has anybody ever had either of these?

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3271 Post by Alan Eden » March 14th, 2019, 10:30 am

Whats OFC 93 ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3272 Post by Robert M yers » March 15th, 2019, 11:22 am

Old Fashioned Copper which I think was an old distillery on the Buffalo Trace property. It’s a label BT uses to put out really old stuff, only a couple hundred bottles. I didn’t realize it was that limited, so I’m sure it has no following as no one can actually drink it.

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3273 Post by Robert M yers » March 15th, 2019, 11:26 am

44DE1DC5-6B90-4051-8973-A99DFBBA0CE9.jpeg

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4626
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3274 Post by Kris Patten » March 16th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:26 am
44DE1DC5-6B90-4051-8973-A99DFBBA0CE9.jpeg
We sold some of each to restaurants so I'll stump for a shot to help crack the bottles.
ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3275 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 20th, 2019, 10:20 am

Weller Blanton and BT store picks at fwgs; Blanton is sold out immediately but the others are available. I went in on SR at 19 per

GregP
Posts: 466
Joined: October 15th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3276 Post by GregP » March 20th, 2019, 11:24 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 10:20 am
Weller Blanton and BT store picks at fwgs; Blanton is sold out immediately but the others are available. I went in on SR at 19 per
What's so special about Blanton's that so many seem to be after? Not disparaging it in any way, just not sure why the demand.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3277 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 20th, 2019, 11:48 am

It’s a perfect weekday whisky. It’s my house whisky, perfectly smooth, and drinks well with some complexity; it’s what I reach for on a weeknight. I have cases and cases of it stockpiles.

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3278 Post by Alan Eden » March 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Had a Blantons Gold brought over from UK, is it that much better than normal Blantons ? not opened yet
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 132
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3279 Post by Nick F. » March 20th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Blantons always available at my local grocery store $60.

It’s my go to
i a s c o n e

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3280 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 20th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Had a Blantons Gold brought over from UK, is it that much better than normal Blantons ? not opened yet
Yes, the extra punch helps quite a bit. Is it worth the price difference of ~100%? That depends on what you use it for. I have a couple bottles of Gold and SFTB around but don’t drink them on the regular; they’re better but more special occasion whiskies.

User avatar
Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5871
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 3:58 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3281 Post by Otto Dobre » March 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:15 pm
Had a Blantons Gold brought over from UK, is it that much better than normal Blantons ? not opened yet
Yes, the extra punch helps quite a bit. Is it worth the price difference of ~100%? That depends on what you use it for. I have a couple bottles of Gold and SFTB around but don’t drink them on the regular; they’re better but more special occasion whiskies.
Michael, the gold sells in Europe for about $85. Found it in Paris and Bucharest of all places.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3282 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Right, but getting it to the states you’d be lucky to get it for 100.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11853
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3283 Post by alan weinberg » March 21st, 2019, 7:24 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Right, but getting it to the states you’d be lucky to get it for 100.
talk to Patrick Albright.

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2420
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3284 Post by Robert M yers » March 23rd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Anybody know What would be their logic on not even selling it here? I’d think they would be selling the off barrel stuff to Bucharest :)

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3069
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3285 Post by ERPark » March 24th, 2019, 9:00 am

Here’s some background on some of the drivers for Blanton’s offering bottles to international markets:

https://www.whisqy.com/blog/en/why-are- ... he-us.html
GEN3

User avatar
Jeannean/Ryman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 153
Joined: March 4th, 2016, 5:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3286 Post by Jeannean/Ryman » March 24th, 2019, 10:46 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Right, but getting it to the states you’d be lucky to get it for 100.
Yeah, my one and only bottle came from Denmark and was $130. I need a Canadian hook up I guess.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14765
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3287 Post by Craig G » March 24th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Jeannean/Ryman wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 10:46 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Right, but getting it to the states you’d be lucky to get it for 100.
Yeah, my one and only bottle came from Denmark and was $130. I need a Canadian hook up I guess.
I bought one for about $60 in Tokyo. But I don’t like it very much.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3288 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 24th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I’m sure someone would be willing to take it off your hands.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14765
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3289 Post by Craig G » March 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 2:35 pm
I’m sure someone would be willing to take it off your hands.
I promise I didn’t backwash.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18965
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3290 Post by Alan Rath » March 25th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Craig G wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Jeannean/Ryman wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 10:46 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Right, but getting it to the states you’d be lucky to get it for 100.
Yeah, my one and only bottle came from Denmark and was $130. I need a Canadian hook up I guess.
I bought one for about $60 in Tokyo. But I don’t like it very much.
I also don't quite get the notoriety for Blanton's. Only had it a couple times, but didn't make we want to find any.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 703
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3291 Post by JulianD » March 26th, 2019, 2:45 am

Seems pretty prevelant in Tokyo; have seen several stores with Blantons Gold (~$60), black (~$40), and the normal- silver? (I think $50). Was looking for the SFTB, but couldn’t find any
Davies

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3292 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 26th, 2019, 3:08 am

I didn’t see any in the liquor stores I saw but will look next time I’m there.

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 793
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3293 Post by Edward H. Earles » March 26th, 2019, 10:07 am

Jeannean/Ryman wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 7:18 am
I wish they'd let me "stock up" on Blanton's and ER. When it does show up, it's 1 per customer and is usually hidden, so you have to be "in" with the store folks, and even then, it's hit or miss with who you ask.
I can't remember that last time I saw Blanton's on a shelf in KY. Buffalo Trace is now owned by a Japanese conglomerate that has no particular loyalty to, or appreciation of, Kentucky consumers.

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8947
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3294 Post by Gordon Fitz » March 26th, 2019, 10:32 am

Buffalo Trace is owned by Sazerac which isn’t Japanese. I think you may be confusing it with Four Roses that is owned by Suntory which is Japanese.

Blantons is now on allocation to retail stores. They can’t produce it fast enough to meet demand. I’ve been to the distillery and not even found it a available there.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1206
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3295 Post by Mike Maguire » March 26th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Easy to find in Wa.

User avatar
Edward H. Earles
Posts: 793
Joined: January 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3296 Post by Edward H. Earles » March 26th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Oops, sorry. My comment still applies though; the hardest place to find it, is where it's made!

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1206
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3297 Post by Mike Maguire » March 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 12:14 pm
Oops, sorry. My comment still applies though; the hardest place to find it, is where it's made!
My middle son was in Louisville over the weekend and he said he looked at several places, no dice.On the upside he found the OF 1920 at Costco and Weller12, wait for it, at Target [wow.gif]

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 38958
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3298 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 26th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Michael Sopher wrote:
April 9th, 2015, 6:19 am
Just picked up a Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea Bourbon ($70). We'll see if it is more than just a marketing ploy.
I was just gifted a bottle of Batch 17 - wonder how it is?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21786
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3299 Post by AlexS » March 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm

It's decent but I'm not sure if it's really any better than Jefferson's Reserve. Otoh, I really like the Jefferson's Reserve releases that are aged in wine barrels (Groth & Pritchard Hill, haven't had the Pichon Baron).
s t e w @ r t

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7245
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#3300 Post by Nick Gangas » March 26th, 2019, 3:49 pm

The groth is fantastic ! I didn't know Beam owns 4 roses. Just had a meeting with them today and they did not mention it.

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”