TN: 2010 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Meunier

I ended up inadvertently buying a case of this (I bought a half a case twice in error), so I’ve had the chance to try this relatively frequently. At least I did until it became horribly reduced about six years ago. I still had six bottles left, and they were not a pleasant drinking experience, so I decided to let it sit for several years and see what happens. This is my first bottle of those that were remaining.

The wine is clear, pale red with no bricking. The nose displays darker fruit, primarily blackberry and cherry with an occasional whiff of sulfur/barnyard. On the palate the wine shows more blackberry with some cherry peeking around the edges along with a hint of graham cracker. The flavor concentration belies its pale color. The wine is smooth with no rough edges and just enough acidity to give it a nice long finish. I expect that I’ll drink my remaining five bottles over the next 3-4 years as this is in a really good spot for my palate.

I’ve had several Dundee Hills wines with a bad reduction problem and, in the past, I’ve just dumped them because I thought there was no coming back from that problem. That’s an action I now regret. It appears that time can heal that wound, at least in the case of this wine!

1 Like

Interesting.

Don’t think I’ve ever had aged an Pinot Meunier outside of Champagne.

Glad it came around.

Robert, there are several wineries in Oregon that make/sell Pinot Meunier. Eyrie first planted the grape here in 1979 and this bottling comes from those grapes.

I used to get Pinot Munier from WillaKenzie on occasion, sometimes they did a blend with PN. We are going back a bit.

It has been my experience that many reduced wines can work the reduction out. I am not a chemist, but my facile understanding is that there are pathways out of the reduced state that don’t screw up the wine. I am convinced that there are exceptions to prove the rule. I recall a few times declaring a wine “terminally reduced”. I anecdotally recall a few winemakers stating that they aim for a little reduction at bottling to buffer the wine.

Cheers,
fred