UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#1 Post by Vince L. » May 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm

Hi

So I ordered a 3pk of Ceritas Chard last Sunday. It shipped out via UPS Tuesday Night with an expected arrival of Thursday. Thursday was a no show/delivery attempt as well as Friday. Today UPS states that a delivery was attempted but that's complete BS cuz i've been home and I haven't seen a single UPS truck drive by. I call UPS and they state that it will be redelivered on Tuesday due to the holiday... and explained the situation on how they missed delivery on 2 days and on the 3rd day they said they couldn't deliver. They said they'd send a msg to the location supervisor and they would return my call by Tuesday 8pm.

(I do live in a complex with a gate, but my unit faces the street and again haven't seen a single UPS truck drive by.)

So ... 1 full day in a UPS warehouse (it was actually in LA on Wednesday @ 11am), 3 FULL days in a UPS truck driving around LA, 2 more days in a warehouse/truck somewhere + 1 more full day before they deliver the package. It's been mid 70 to mid 80s the past few days and upcoming weekend. Is my wine toast ... literally?

I've sent Ceritas an email asking what my options are and if a cold pack was placed, but that was after the 1st missed delivery. I dont think any cold pack will do 1 full week ...
l e r t

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2926
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#2 Post by Robert M yers » May 23rd, 2020, 7:54 pm

If I miss a delivery or get a bogus attempt I always schedule a pickup at the depot the next day. Not sure what you can do at this point, maybe the winery will be nice, but it’s not really their fault either. We just shouldn’t be shipping wine right now.

I say that as I’m kind of in the same boat as a three pack of cheap wine I ordered didn’t make it’s Friday estimate. It will be cooked by Tuesday but It’s my fault though really for even taking the risk.

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10225
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#3 Post by Randy Bowman » May 23rd, 2020, 8:03 pm

FYI, we as shippers using UPS we have been notified that they do not guarantee shipping dates/arrivals due to the Corona Virus impacts. Saying they made an attempt doesn't fly, particularly when they didn't leave a tag on your door at the attempted delivery time, albeit, FedEx left a tag on my door of an attempted delivery at 10:20 AM, but I arrived at the store at 9:40 AM to find the tag. That's another story.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

YLee
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#4 Post by YLee » May 23rd, 2020, 8:19 pm

I honestly think the wines might be ok still. We dont give wines enough credit. They arent that fragile as we make it out to be. 70-80s I think its ok. Especially if they are wines you will drink soon.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 594
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#5 Post by Adam Frisch » May 23rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

I wouldn't panic. Although of course not ideal, unless seal is somehow broken, cork has pushed and air has entered, they stay pretty sealed. Just age a little faster which is less critical on whites.

I've done some very unscientific test with my own wines. A few returned wines that had been delivered, never picked up at depot, then eventually returned. Another pack was misplaced by FedEx and spent almost 2 weeks on the lam before it turned up. I swapped that one out for a fresh set, of course (made it easier as it was local). Sampled wines from both packages side by side with correctly stored wines and could find no difference. Now that said, this was during April and May, so mean temps were a little lower.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

User avatar
Andrew K.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 244
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 11:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#6 Post by Andrew K. » May 23rd, 2020, 8:28 pm

Yeah high temps are worst for long periods. I had a bottle that sat in a warm storage room all summer. The cork pushed up and it tasted cooked to me. Others thought it tasted fine. We tried it side by side with a properly stored bottle and everyone could taste a difference, but it's not like the wine was totally ruined. Of course that's way different than a few days.
Last edited by Andrew K. on May 23rd, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
к𝓁ย𝐠

User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1851
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#7 Post by Mattstolz » May 23rd, 2020, 8:30 pm

I agree with the others saying that I think the wines will be OK, especially if its not 80 degrees there. also I agree that if I miss a delivery its normally best to schedule to pick it up at the hub.

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#8 Post by Vince L. » May 23rd, 2020, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm just extremely frustrated with them as I've been waiting and each day UPS My Home delivery says 10:45am to 12:45pm so I stay home and wait.
Robert M yers wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:54 pm
If I miss a delivery or get a bogus attempt I always schedule a pickup at the depot the next day. Not sure what you can do at this point, maybe the winery will be nice, but it’s not really their fault either. We just shouldn’t be shipping wine right now.
Thought about this, but couldn't even do it till today cuz today was the first attempt... I could go pickup on Tuesday at their warehouse. Which I might....
Randy Bowman wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:03 pm
FYI, we as shippers using UPS we have been notified that they do not guarantee shipping dates/arrivals due to the Corona Virus impacts. Saying they made an attempt doesn't fly, particularly when they didn't leave a tag on your door at the attempted delivery time, albeit, FedEx left a tag on my door of an attempted delivery at 10:20 AM, but I arrived at the store at 9:40 AM to find the tag. That's another story.
No tag. I've been hearing from my neighbors that UPS has been running late for the last few days with the same BS. Package on truck for delivery. Reschedule Delivery...
YLee wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:19 pm
I honestly think the wines might be ok still. We dont give wines enough credit. They arent that fragile as we make it out to be. 70-80s I think its ok. Especially if they are wines you will drink soon.
Adam Frisch wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:24 pm
I wouldn't panic. Although of course not ideal, unless seal is somehow broken, cork has pushed and air has entered, they stay pretty sealed. Just age a little faster which is less critical on whites.

I've done some very unscientific test with my own wines. A few returned wines that had been delivered, never picked up at depot, then eventually returned. Another pack was misplaced by FedEx and spent almost 2 weeks on the lam before it turned up. I swapped that one out for a fresh set, of course (made it easier as it was local). Sampled wines from both packages side by side with correctly stored wines and could find no difference. Now that said, this was during April and May, so mean temps were a little lower.
Sigh I know I'm not going to hold on to these for too long, but I was gonna open one to see what the big hoopla with Ceritas was. Then I was gonna hold on to the other two for at least a year or two ... as I typically like my Chardonnay around 2-4 yrs from release.
l e r t

YLee
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#9 Post by YLee » May 24th, 2020, 4:11 am

After many fake "attempted to deliver" by Fedex, now I only ship wines to my local Walgreens FedEx pickup location. If a shop uses UPS, I ask them to ship with FedEx. Now I have 0 problems with delivery and I am not stuck at home waiting for my packages.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10343
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#10 Post by dcornutt » May 24th, 2020, 4:44 am

Been there so many times. I don't have any great suggestions. I doubt you will get much sympathy from UPS. At least that is my experience. They do have centers that you can pick up the wines before they hit the truck but as in most areas they are highly inconvenient to access. Feeling for you.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6679
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#11 Post by Michael Martin » May 24th, 2020, 5:45 am

I switched all wine deliveries from my business to my house due to my impending retirement. So the first time we sat around on a Friday (didn’t want to miss it and have it sit in a hot truck over the weekend) waiting for the delivery guy felt like we were watching paint dry.
Then I discovered the “manage your delivery” link. Once we have the tracking number, I reroute the package to a local drug store and pick it up later in the day at my convenience. It has worked perfectly now for the last few shipments and we can go for a hike instead of waiting to give the delivery guy a signature.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 444
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#12 Post by TGigante » May 24th, 2020, 6:18 am

Michael Martin wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 5:45 am
I switched all wine deliveries from my business to my house due to my impending retirement. So the first time we sat around on a Friday (didn’t want to miss it and have it sit in a hot truck over the weekend) waiting for the delivery guy felt like we were watching paint dry.
Then I discovered the “manage your delivery” link. Once we have the tracking number, I reroute the package to a local drug store and pick it up later in the day at my convenience. It has worked perfectly now for the last few shipments and we can go for a hike instead of waiting to give the delivery guy a signature.
Michael,
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?
Cheers,
Tony

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6679
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#13 Post by Michael Martin » May 24th, 2020, 6:49 am

TGigante wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:18 am
Michael Martin wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 5:45 am
I switched all wine deliveries from my business to my house due to my impending retirement. So the first time we sat around on a Friday (didn’t want to miss it and have it sit in a hot truck over the weekend) waiting for the delivery guy felt like we were watching paint dry.
Then I discovered the “manage your delivery” link. Once we have the tracking number, I reroute the package to a local drug store and pick it up later in the day at my convenience. It has worked perfectly now for the last few shipments and we can go for a hike instead of waiting to give the delivery guy a signature.
Michael,
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?
I did it awhile ago, but I think you just need to create an online account.

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 35816
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#14 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 24th, 2020, 6:54 am

Just create an account and you can do it.

Both UPS and FedEx have had bogus deliveries the last few weeks. I talked to my regular FedEx driver on Friday, and he said they are scheduling more packages than can fit on his truck. It’s been 50% or more higher volume for him during the pandemic. No way everything can get out.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2926
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#15 Post by Robert M yers » May 24th, 2020, 6:57 am

Which drug store accepts UPS deliveries? The fed ex to Walgreens has been a huge convenience for me.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 444
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#16 Post by TGigante » May 24th, 2020, 7:00 am

Thanks Michael, David
Looks like my Patty Green shipment just docked today here in NJ at my local distribution center

Will let it ride for delivery. I have had zero problems with UPS deliveries

FedEx I usually route to Walgreens
Cheers,
Tony

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 782
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#17 Post by Albert R » May 24th, 2020, 7:00 am

YLee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 4:11 am
After many fake "attempted to deliver" by Fedex, now I only ship wines to my local Walgreens FedEx pickup location. If a shop uses UPS, I ask them to ship with FedEx. Now I have 0 problems with delivery and I am not stuck at home waiting for my packages.
+1 FedEx to the FedEx Store for pick-up. I try to stay away from UPS.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6679
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#18 Post by Michael Martin » May 24th, 2020, 7:08 am

Robert M yers wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:57 am
Which drug store accepts UPS deliveries? The fed ex to Walgreens has been a huge convenience for me.
Walgreens, CVS

Peter C.
Posts: 4090
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#19 Post by Peter C. » May 24th, 2020, 7:41 am

Vince L. wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm
Hi

So I ordered a 3pk of Ceritas Chard last Sunday. It shipped out via UPS Tuesday Night with an expected arrival of Thursday. Thursday was a no show/delivery attempt as well as Friday. Today UPS states that a delivery was attempted but that's complete BS cuz i've been home and I haven't seen a single UPS truck drive by. I call UPS and they state that it will be redelivered on Tuesday due to the holiday... and explained the situation on how they missed delivery on 2 days and on the 3rd day they said they couldn't deliver. They said they'd send a msg to the location supervisor and they would return my call by Tuesday 8pm.

(I do live in a complex with a gate, but my unit faces the street and again haven't seen a single UPS truck drive by.)

So ... 1 full day in a UPS warehouse (it was actually in LA on Wednesday @ 11am), 3 FULL days in a UPS truck driving around LA, 2 more days in a warehouse/truck somewhere + 1 more full day before they deliver the package. It's been mid 70 to mid 80s the past few days and upcoming weekend. Is my wine toast ... literally?

I've sent Ceritas an email asking what my options are and if a cold pack was placed, but that was after the 1st missed delivery. I dont think any cold pack will do 1 full week ...
Here in MA this has happened a lot recently, mainly with FedEx. Bc of high volume of packages they’ve had to subcontract deliveries, meaning these new drivers miss our house 50% of the time. We’re home all day and we get the ‘no one home’ notice via email. Sucks but I bet you also have a new driver who is getting acclimated to their route.
( z y ® y ( @

User avatar
Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 358
Joined: May 16th, 2011, 7:45 am
Location: Crozet,VA

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#20 Post by Bob Davis » May 24th, 2020, 7:59 am

TGigante wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:18 am
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?
in my experience Not all packages can be rerouted by the recipient. The sender has to enable it. For example Ridge shipments can’t be rerouted by the receipient.

J. Rock
Posts: 666
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#21 Post by J. Rock » May 24th, 2020, 8:13 am

A lot of the time, if there's a shipping problem, I'll let the seller know. If the seller shipped the wines in the heat without getting my authorization or at least notifying me, I'll except them to accept a return of those bottles and give me new ones that are properly cared for or just refund my money. If it seems like more of the shipper's fault (e.g., they misroute the package), I'll still let the seller know what happened and that I'm disappointed, but I'll generally leave it up to them to decide if they want to try to get the shipper to make it right, make it up to me even though it's not their fault, or just use the information to hopefully have a better chance of preventing the same thing from happening in the future.
J o r d a n

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 111
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#22 Post by HoosJustinG » May 24th, 2020, 8:32 am

My experience has been that ground packages just come when they come. If you send a package via FedEx Express or UPS 1-day or 2-day Air, they come when they’re supposed to. AFAIK, those services are still guaranteed, and they owe you a refund if they don’t hit the delivery window whereas ground services are not guaranteed and delivery dates are just “estimates.” Guess which packages get priority when there’s not enough room on a delivery truck...

I’ve been having shops/wineries hold my bottles until I get to 6 or 12 and then biting the bullet and paying for shipping via air (Napa to East Coast is about $100/case). So far I’m at 100% on time delivery to my house, offsite storage and beach house in 3 different states (there’s no knock on wood emoji but pretend I put it here). For stuff I don’t want shipped as quickly, I’ve also been taking advantage of Domaine’s pick up service. At $40/case, it gets the wine across the country at 55F ... just very slowly.
Last edited by HoosJustinG on May 24th, 2020, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#23 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 8:38 am

I never knew you could reroute delivery to drug stores. I understand ups/FedEx stores but that's news to me.

I tried ups my choice after the first failed attempt and it wouldn't let me do anything cuz no delivery attempt happened yet. I can now reroute only to the UPS distro hub which according to Google Reviews have recently been slammed with 2-4 hr lines.

Sigh
l e r t

User avatar
Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 782
Joined: June 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#24 Post by Albert R » May 24th, 2020, 8:54 am

Since my wife and daughter are home I have had a few shipments from new wineries shipped to the house. Just now Fedex delivered a case (daily drinkers). The driver knocked a few times and waited at least 2-3 minutes since I had just finished taking a shower. FedEx is tops in South Florida!!!
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 140
Joined: January 22nd, 2015, 5:30 pm
Location: Chicago NW Burbs

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#25 Post by Larry Chmel » May 24th, 2020, 8:55 am

YLee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 4:11 am
After many fake "attempted to deliver" by Fedex, now I only ship wines to my local Walgreens FedEx pickup location. If a shop uses UPS, I ask them to ship with FedEx. Now I have 0 problems with delivery and I am not stuck at home waiting for my packages.
+1

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#26 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:05 am

Larry Chmel wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:55 am
YLee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 4:11 am
After many fake "attempted to deliver" by Fedex, now I only ship wines to my local Walgreens FedEx pickup location. If a shop uses UPS, I ask them to ship with FedEx. Now I have 0 problems with delivery and I am not stuck at home waiting for my packages.
+1
How do you set that up. I went into delivery manager but couldn't find that option to default delivery there
l e r t

YLee
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#27 Post by YLee » May 24th, 2020, 9:09 am

Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:38 am
I never knew you could reroute delivery to drug stores. I understand ups/FedEx stores but that's news to me.

I tried ups my choice after the first failed attempt and it wouldn't let me do anything cuz no delivery attempt happened yet. I can now reroute only to the UPS distro hub which according to Google Reviews have recently been slammed with 2-4 hr lines.

Sigh
What I do is i have it shipped directly to walgreens fedex location from the start. Not a reroute. In the shipping information I put my full name, address I enter in Walgreens and their address.

Once walgreens has it, i get email notification from fedex and an automated phone call.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8139
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#28 Post by larry schaffer » May 24th, 2020, 9:14 am

First off, great advice on the Walgreens and Fed Ex stores redirect for Fed Ex shipments. There is no extra fees assigned wineries to do it which is a great thing. If you redirect from business to home addresses, there will be additional charges levied, often times eaten by the wineries but stuff we hate to do if we don't have to.

It's a bummer that UPS does not have that same type of relationship with a retailer - perhaps they will in the future. The My UPS app is a good one to use to take back some control here.

The bottom line and reality here is that shipping of wine has become more challenging these days with the sheer number of packages being shipped via both UPS and Fed Ex. No matter how many drivers are hired, they are dealing with unprecedented numbers of packages - and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've had to explain to customers to have a bit more patience these days with either company. Fed Ex Ground has become a bit more unpredictable - 4-5 day shipments have now regularly become 6-7 day shipments, and notices are not always given upon attempts of delivery. With 'contactless deliveries' these days, liberties are being taken - but again, I think everyone needs to show more patience here.

As others have also noted, you can pay the extra $$$ to get 2nd Day or 3rd Day delivery, and I have had no issues with those being delivered on time. They are costly, but if it's that important your wine gets delivered when you want it to, pay the extra $$$.

At the end of the day, the shipping companies and drivers are doing the best that they can, but they are simply being overwhelmed - and they are not given wine any more 'importance' than they are delivering food supplies, masks, etc . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#29 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:15 am

YLee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:09 am
Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:38 am
I never knew you could reroute delivery to drug stores. I understand ups/FedEx stores but that's news to me.

I tried ups my choice after the first failed attempt and it wouldn't let me do anything cuz no delivery attempt happened yet. I can now reroute only to the UPS distro hub which according to Google Reviews have recently been slammed with 2-4 hr lines.

Sigh
What I do is i have it shipped directly to walgreens fedex location from the start. Not a reroute. In the shipping information I put my full name, address I enter in Walgreens and their address.

Once walgreens has it, i get email notification from fedex and an automated phone call.
Interesting? Do you setup this with Walgreens ahead of time? This is such new information.
l e r t

YLee
Posts: 1768
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#30 Post by YLee » May 24th, 2020, 9:40 am

Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:15 am
YLee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:09 am
Vince L. wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:38 am
I never knew you could reroute delivery to drug stores. I understand ups/FedEx stores but that's news to me.

I tried ups my choice after the first failed attempt and it wouldn't let me do anything cuz no delivery attempt happened yet. I can now reroute only to the UPS distro hub which according to Google Reviews have recently been slammed with 2-4 hr lines.

Sigh
What I do is i have it shipped directly to walgreens fedex location from the start. Not a reroute. In the shipping information I put my full name, address I enter in Walgreens and their address.

Once walgreens has it, i get email notification from fedex and an automated phone call.
Interesting? Do you setup this with Walgreens ahead of time? This is such new information.
No. So when you make your purchase with the wine shop or winery tell them to ship it to your Walgreen address and put your name as the recipient.
John Doe
Walgreens
1234 street
City, State Zipcode

Just make sure your Walgreens location does FedEx dropoff. I am not sure if all Walgreens allow this.
The pickup person's name must match the recipient's name on the shipping label in order for you to pick it up at Walgreens.

Regarding getting notification via email and phone call, I'm not sure if I get that because I have a FedEx account. It's free to create a FedEx account if you want to try that.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#31 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:51 am

Thanks =)

For those who are interested here's a webpage that talks about it:

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/on ... ickup.html

UPS & CVS partnered in 7/2019 as well.
https://pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/Con ... 285461-478

But it does appear that I can't redirect my pkg to a CVS.
l e r t

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31524
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#32 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Bob Davis wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 7:59 am
TGigante wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:18 am
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?
in my experience Not all packages can be rerouted by the recipient. The sender has to enable it. For example Ridge shipments can’t be rerouted by the receipient.
Yep. It’s not as receiver friendly as Fedex.

Also most of the time UPS doesn’t let you re route until there’s a failed delivery the first time.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 444
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#33 Post by TGigante » May 24th, 2020, 1:30 pm

c fu wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Bob Davis wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 7:59 am
TGigante wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:18 am
Can anyone reroute or do you have to sign up for My UPS to do it?
in my experience Not all packages can be rerouted by the recipient. The sender has to enable it. For example Ridge shipments can’t be rerouted by the receipient.
Yep. It’s not as receiver friendly as Fedex.

Also most of the time UPS doesn’t let you re route until there’s a failed delivery the first time.
Yes that sounds familiar. I thought there was a for fee service that allows you to redirect in Transit or hold for pickup, etc
Cheers,
Tony

markjchambers
Posts: 197
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#34 Post by markjchambers » May 24th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Go to your local UPS store and rent the cheapest box they have. Then have all of your wine deliveries sent to you UPS box. There will never be a missed delivery. The staff will accept your deliveries and store them under good conditions until you come pick them up. You don't have to worry about being home, being on vacation or your wife discovering what you bought. My UPS store never closed during the pandemic. If you do have have something sent to your home and there is a missed delivery, immediately get on the website and redirect it to a business - UPS Store, Walgreens, whatever. When you choose "redirect" you'll get options.

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 846
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 7:52 pm
Location: South Carolina Coast...lakeside Wisconsin

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#35 Post by b. c@stner » May 24th, 2020, 7:46 pm

markjchambers wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:38 pm
Go to your local UPS store and rent the cheapest box they have. Then have all of your wine deliveries sent to you UPS box. There will never be a missed delivery. The staff will accept your deliveries and store them under good conditions until you come pick them up. You don't have to worry about being home, being on vacation or your wife discovering what you bought. My UPS store never closed during the pandemic. If you do have have something sent to your home and there is a missed delivery, immediately get on the website and redirect it to a business - UPS Store, Walgreens, whatever. When you choose "redirect" you'll get options.
Correct, if wines are coming UPS you can't redirect to an access point aka CVS or whatever, like you can redirect Fedex to Walgreens. UPS only allows hold for pickup at Customer Centers. You can ship direct to a UPS Store if you have a mailbox there. And some UPS stores allow you to ship direct to them without renting a mailbox for a small fee. I pay $5 for each shipment held, don't rent a box. But they get a little testy about it sometimes
b 0 b

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 594
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#36 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 8:27 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:14 am
First off, great advice on the Walgreens and Fed Ex stores redirect for Fed Ex shipments. There is no extra fees assigned wineries to do it which is a great thing. If you redirect from business to home addresses, there will be additional charges levied, often times eaten by the wineries but stuff we hate to do if we don't have to.

It's a bummer that UPS does not have that same type of relationship with a retailer - perhaps they will in the future. The My UPS app is a good one to use to take back some control here.

The bottom line and reality here is that shipping of wine has become more challenging these days with the sheer number of packages being shipped via both UPS and Fed Ex. No matter how many drivers are hired, they are dealing with unprecedented numbers of packages - and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've had to explain to customers to have a bit more patience these days with either company. Fed Ex Ground has become a bit more unpredictable - 4-5 day shipments have now regularly become 6-7 day shipments, and notices are not always given upon attempts of delivery. With 'contactless deliveries' these days, liberties are being taken - but again, I think everyone needs to show more patience here.

As others have also noted, you can pay the extra $$$ to get 2nd Day or 3rd Day delivery, and I have had no issues with those being delivered on time. They are costly, but if it's that important your wine gets delivered when you want it to, pay the extra $$$.

At the end of the day, the shipping companies and drivers are doing the best that they can, but they are simply being overwhelmed - and they are not given wine any more 'importance' than they are delivering food supplies, masks, etc . . .

Cheers!
Agree with Larry. I see that people get frustrated these days. Ground, as Larry said, is completely overwhelmed these days. At my FedEx they limit dropoffs to 2 packages, that's how bad it is. The guy there says they're 1.5x more busy every day of the week than the busiest Christmas day! Ground packages can easily take up to a week to arrive. When I ship east, I've been a little less worried as the weather has been cold, but here on the Pacific side, it can be very challenging. I've shipped a few in a low temp lull only to find that they take much longer to arrive and end up having a day or two in higher temps, with customers getting a little frustrated. Not much one can do, unfortunately. I've been sitting on a few packages destined for Vegas - not sure there will be an opening at all.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Vince L.
Posts: 146
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#37 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Wow I guess do i kinda sound like an entitled consumer.

I get it that things are backed up, when things are delayed and not on delivery truck and take a few days to get here I get it. I guess what frustrates me the most is when tracking shows they were either in my complex and lied or supposed to show up and dont. Just say it's scheduled to be delivered on X day so I'm not waiting at home all day to hear a knock on the door or something. Worse yet, don't say you attempted and nobody was home ... and hold my package for an additional 2 days.
l e r t

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 594
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#38 Post by Adam Frisch » May 24th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Yes, it's happened multiple times that "delivery was attempted" when we were home all day. That's not cool.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1795
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Re: UPS really screwed up? What are my options?

#39 Post by Eric Lundblad » May 24th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm
Hi

So ... 1 full day in a UPS warehouse (it was actually in LA on Wednesday @ 11am), 3 FULL days in a UPS truck driving around LA, 2 more days in a warehouse/truck somewhere + 1 more full day before they deliver the package. It's been mid 70 to mid 80s the past few days and upcoming weekend. Is my wine toast ... literally?
Hey,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Your location is listed as LAX, so I just checked the temps over the last several days in that general area, and the predicted temps over the next couple of days. And things could be worse. I agree that 3 days driving around in a UPS truck isn't great...but I'm not convinced that the wine was in a truck more than a day, maybe two. Assuming UPS 'fudged things' in their conversation to you (about making a drop off attempt) then that works in reverse as well (i.e. UPS delaying putting it in a truck until they hear from you, so they can maximize what they'll actually deliver). Course, if you have multiple ups attempted delivery tags at your door, I might think differently, but sounds like that's not true.

Anyways, my guess is UPS made one delivery attempt, so one day in a truck, and the rest in a UPS warehouse, when the temps look ok...not like in temp controlled storage, but not bad either (assuming my assumptions are correct, of course).

My guess is the wine is in ok or better shape...if some other opportunity, regarding this situation, doesn't present itself, then I think the wine will be in good shape for drinking in the next year...probably longer, but I'd drink it in a year to be on the safe side. Ceritas makes well structured wines, which is always a bonus in cases like this.

Hope everything works out for the best!
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”