#1 Post by Jay Miller » October 20th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Are they any good?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

Re: Has anyone used an air fryer?

#2 Post by Nola Palomar » October 20th, 2019, 4:54 pm

I have not personally, I have so many gadgets in the kitchen already I just have not found the interest. My neighbors have one and they love it.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong » October 21st, 2019, 3:21 am

I am planning one to fry my Thanksgiving turkey. No worries about a deep-fryer grease fire burning down the roof garden.
WineHunter.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jay Miller » October 21st, 2019, 5:38 am

At my job people are able to give points when someone helps them out with something so I was browsing the catalog to spend mine. This was one of the items which I didn’t have but seemed potentially useful. Other than the whole counter space issue. I had never even heard of the gadget before.

So it would be free other than opportunity cost.

Victor Hong

#5 Post by Victor Hong » October 21st, 2019, 5:55 am

Might not be worthwhile, if fried food is not your favorite.
WineHunter.

Andrew Gold

#6 Post by Andrew Gold » October 21st, 2019, 6:43 am

We have one, a sorta random purchase my wife made. It works well enough for frozen fried things, quicker than heating up the oven and does a nominally better job. That said, the basket is small, so if you're trying to make frozen fish sticks (or whatever) for more than 2/3 people it's not ideal.

I'd not buy the thing again, though we only eat that category of food 3-4 times a year. Plenty of cabinet space, but I'd still prefer to do without the thing.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Russell Faulkner » October 21st, 2019, 7:45 am

Mother in law has one. Takes forever to make fries for a family of seven. They are nice enough when they arrive but it’s 3-5 batches.

Victor Hong

#8 Post by Victor Hong » October 21st, 2019, 9:20 am

Maybe, doing the turkey this way might not be a good idea.
WineHunter.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jay Miller » October 21st, 2019, 10:10 am

I was thinking of it for the frozen lumpia (filipino spring rolls) that Arnold likes to buy.

ERPark

#10 Post by ERPark » October 21st, 2019, 11:08 am

Not the clearest image, as I cropped this from a larger picture. A Berserker whose partner is very adept in the kitchen served these chicken wings for dinner. Wings were prepared in an air fryer, so weren’t oily whatsoever even though they were nicely crispy..........

E188F212-00A4-45D6-A88E-7341804AB46C.jpeg
GEN3

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jay Miller » October 21st, 2019, 12:57 pm

Those look surprisingly good.

TimF

#12 Post by TimF » October 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm

What is the difference between an air fryer and a convection oven?
Tim F@itsch

Victor Hong

#13 Post by Victor Hong » October 21st, 2019, 2:19 pm

TimF wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
What is the difference between an air fryer and a convection oven?
Cost, and counter space.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/wha ... air-fryer/
WineHunter.

Christine Huang

#14 Post by Christine Huang » October 23rd, 2019, 8:39 am

Hi Jay!

I bought the Cosari Air fryer as people were complaining that the Philips has a very small basket and you couldn't fry much at a time. I wasn't going to buy one because my Breville Smart Air Toaster oven (which I LOVE TO DEATH) has an Air Fryer Function, but for true Air Frying, it's a pain in the butt to clean because what little grease there is gets sprayed all over the inside and it's a pain to clean.

The Air Fryer will take up counter space, but the basket is so easy to clean I love it. It won't hold as much as the Breville at one time, but it's supercharged. Wings are amazing in there. I think it would do an amazing job with the lumpia, so long as you spray some oil on them before putting them in. They still need some oil, but nothing compared to deep frying them.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jay Miller » October 23rd, 2019, 9:30 am

Thanks Christine!

Much appreciated. Unfortunately Cosari isn't one of the fryers I have available for points ("just" Presto, NuWave, Philips, Elite Platinum, Cuisinart, Ninja, and Instant Vortex).

On the other hand I just spent all my points on another iPad so it will be a while before I have to decide again.

Christine Huang

#16 Post by Christine Huang » October 23rd, 2019, 11:09 am

Nice! I would choose the iPad too.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Bdklein » May 23rd, 2020, 11:12 am

Bumping . Any further info to share . My wife just bought one . Seems like a waste of money and space -haven't told he that -yet.
Bruce Klein

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Linda Baehr » May 23rd, 2020, 7:25 pm

I found one on sale and it hasn't arrived yet, but my (also single- so I can't speak about cooking large amounts) makes wonderful looking arancini and fried fish (he is an avid fisherman).
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 23rd, 2020, 7:27 pm

Absolutely kills for bacon. Great with broccoli and asparagus as well. For bacon, just cut into smaller pieces (3-4 pieces per bacon strip, let's say) and be sure to shake at least once during the process
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JDavisRoby » May 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm

I’ve been using my convection oven to do bacon. Put them on a rack which is placed in a sheet pan. About twenty minutes at 350 depending upon thickness. I don’t even preheat the oven. Comes out perfectly crisp.

I’ve been told by several local chefs the air fryer is just a small convection oven that moved fast and the basket keeps the food off the surface. Hence my using racks in the convection oven for bacon.
Joshu@

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Mike Maguire » May 23rd, 2020, 10:22 pm

Have a Breville toaster oven/ air fryer, couldn’t live without it, mostly air fry veggies,
but chicken wings find there way in there weekly.

D Zurcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by D Zurcher » May 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

We recently purchased a Breville counter top oven which has about 11 different functions. Air frying is one of them and it works great. We use the Breville oven all the time, might be one of our best purchases ever. Heats up quickly, and the temp is pretty accurate.
DanZ

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Linda Baehr » May 24th, 2020, 6:57 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm
I’ve been using my convection oven to do bacon. Put them on a rack which is placed in a sheet pan. About twenty minutes at 350 depending upon thickness. I don’t even preheat the oven. Comes out perfectly crisp.

I’ve been told by several local chefs the air fryer is just a small convection oven that moved fast and the basket keeps the food off the surface. Hence my using racks in the convection oven for bacon.
I haven't cooked bacon in anything but an oven for years. Regular oven works fine for it.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Jay Miller » May 25th, 2020, 7:41 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:57 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:44 pm

I haven't cooked bacon in anything but an oven for years. Regular oven works fine for it.
Almost ditto. 1 or 2 slices I'll pan fry, 3+ go in the oven. I'll cook at anything from 325 to 375 depending on how much of a hurry I'm in and whether I think I'll be able to keep a close eye on it. 375 is fastest and can make good bacon but can go from not quite there to overdone in the time it takes to walk to another room and back again.

Eric Michels

#25 Post by Eric Michels » May 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

My sister-in-law raves about her air fryer so my wife picked one up cheap. We have been thoroughly unimpressed. The only thing that it seems to do well is to heat frozen food, which we almost never eat. If your household eats a lot of frozen food your experience might be better. We found that the only difference to a convection oven is that because the airflow is directed down onto the food from above (rather than across from behind) that more of the surface area of the food is exposed to direct airflow, tending to create a crispy exterior more quickly. I think that this works on frozen food because the exterior of the food is already dry, allowing it to crisp more easily. Also, do not underestimate the size of these things. It is much larger than even a good size convection toaster oven despite have a smaller usable cooking surface. While we are still testing to see if there is a real use case for the beast, I don't think ours will be in the house much longer.

GregT

#26 Post by GregT » May 27th, 2020, 1:58 pm

We use it all the time. The genius was calling it a "fryer" but it's really just a little convection oven. I don't like fried foods anyhow so that's good for me.

You can use it without turning on the oven and waiting for it to pre-heat and then heating up the whole kitchen. We use it a few times a month.

It's great for chicken legs, potatoes, and anything you'd normally roast. We've cooked scones in it too and when it's too hot to make pizza with the oven, I've made a pan pizza in the air fryer.

I haven't made bacon in years and don't eat frozen food, so I have no idea how it works for those. And it's not good for large quantities. But if you want something like a potato galette or something similar, it's great.

Ours has a large glass bowl. When I make chicken, I usually coat the chicken with a few herbs and spices and I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the cooking bowl. That makes it easy to clean but I found out it also makes a great broth after you've used it a few times. And that in turn, can be used to make a great mushroom soup.

So I was skeptical initially, but now I quite like having it.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”