Mike on Mini-Tour---Atlanta Dinner at Pyng Ho

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mike on Mini-Tour---Atlanta Dinner at Pyng Ho

#1 Post by Mike Grammer » October 12th, 2019, 8:04 am

Steve outdid himself with the food tonight---it was glorious and it was so good to see him again---as it was the entire crew who came I love visiting with these guys. So pleased that my friend Jay Shampur has again made the trip down this year and wonderful, as always, to have Nick Christie join us from North Carolina:

DINNER AT PYNG HO
DRAMATIS PERSONAE:
Me
Jay Shampur
Randy and Cris Katz
Don Cornutt
Fred Schwartz
Gary and Betty Margol
Dennis & Faye Sullivan
John Eckel and the lovely Raeluca
Steve & Laurie Coulson
Joel Knox and the lovely Joan
Nick Christie
Mike Evans

A note that I didn’t have the Westcott Estates Brilliant sparkling from Ontario that Jay brought, but I have 8 or so at home and it impressed many at the table, was glad it was received so well.

2008 Dom Perignon

Lovely bring from Don. Almost a smoked salt side to the aroma. This is already delicious—smooth and strong at the same time. Baked apple crisp and a nice drying warmth at the back. I like that it’s different from some other 08s I’ve tried.

2014 Schafer-Frohlich Felseneck Ries GG

Wow nose—apple yes, but almost almond/popcorny sidebar. On the gentle side to taste, smooth and the sweetness is integrated nicely. Good stuff here.

2014 Eyrie Melon de Bourgogne

Lemon and mineral do show up on the nose. But goodness—when it hits your tongue, soft and almost sweet. Blind I’m sure I’d have said Pinot Gris. Interesting.

2007 Arietta On the White Keys

Very savoury bouquet, if that makes sense. It has an almost physical quality. I haven’t had one with this much age on it before and I liked what was here—rounded, balanced, has good pear and light lime base and a small, small touch of vanilla bean. From mag, big thanks to Joel for bringing this.

2004 Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Ries Spat

Candy apple and kumquat. Smooth and sneaky length to this. Good, as always, from this producer, and a nice performance for the vintage.

2000 Albert Mann Steinggrubler Gewurtz

Lychee pie? Other tropical fruit pokes its head up too. Soft and sweet on entry, again good length, a bit warm on temp but very consistent with the aromatic notes.

1998 Alzinger Loibner Weingarten Gruner Smaragd

Mike brought this, remembering a thread we were on where I hadn’t had older Alzinger. This was spectacular and my WOTN. Just a devastating level of sophistication and class, especially on the palate. It still had a trace of white pepper and a trace of graininess, but I loved taking each sip of this out of my glass. The elegance level is brilliant here. Huge thanks, Mike!

2014 Pape Clement Blanc

This has a funny story. I bought it last year at a local shop. Schlepped it home. Only to bring it back down again. Glad I did. This has a real floral component to the nuzzie. White fruits and just a light sense of tropical overlay, this is a great example for me of what I want in Bordeaux Blanc---a level of suavity that no other SB (except maybe Dagueneau) ever gets to. Liked by many tonight.

2001 Ramey Hyde Chard

From Joel, again from mag. A devil to get the cork out, but we did. Slightly musty bouquet, sandalwood a bit. Even at 18 years, this is still California. Almost past the post, but lemon and apple pie with some saline and the oak structure buttresses properly. Glad to try this.

2014 Pichler Loibner Loibenberg Gruner

Signature, for me, white pepper and mustard. Strong, deep, good replays. This has fine length and I like how active it is in the mouth.

1971 Schloss Schonborn Erbader Marcobrunner Ries Spat

Somewhat muted nose, but some apple pie percolates up. Settled wine, good and stylish presentation, missing some verve, admittedly, but elegantly pretty.

1976 Freiherrlich Langwerth von Simmersche Eltville Erzeuger Abfullung Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen Ries

How’s *that* for a mouthful to try to say fast 3 times? Well, this is a good deal fresher than the 71 Schonborn and has a lot of focused apple with caramel treacle in the background. All remains pretty lifted for the age. I liked this.

2013 Rene Bouvier Marsannay Rose

One of Randy’s. Quick note and taste, but there’s some sophistication weaving in and out of raspberry and cranberry sniffs and tastes. Has a nicely controlled level of activity.

2005 Jean-Claude Boisset Clos de la Roche

In-ter-es-ting as I got a sort of truffle, sour cherry, lots of unroasted chestnut and even a dash of creosote or maybe tar in the nose here. Still quite young, has structure, with rooty cherries and berries at the core. The mineral is theb] re.

2014 Once and Future Bedrock Zin

Mike brought this as well—cocoa galore, with some mulberry and plum. Delicious—fantastic depth and clean lines here, some strawberry and mulberry around mocha goodness. 13.7% Wish more zin was made in this style.

2001 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos de Prieure Blanc

Randy brought this one too. Bouquet had a little nuttiness left to go with light pear-based scents. Fills the mouth OK, but doesn’t show anything particularly individualistic. Definitely drink it now if you have it----not sure it’ll make it out another 2 years. Always fun to try these though, and not had one with this much age on it before.

2000 Pahlmayer Merlot

Like the nose here, diesel and aniseed to plum and black cherry. Palate is fairly resolved, maybe drying out just a little bit, but the red plum and cherry fruit is definitely still on display. Liked without loving it.

1990 Reserve de la Comtesse

I am unabashed in being a fan of all things Comtesse. This was an exuberant wine for them, but has a lot to say with deep red developed currant and small berry fruit. Shows the vintage really well and in no sign of decline whatsoever---actually one of the better reds tonight for me.

1968 Vigneti Xonchetta Barolo Brunate

Licorice bit, yup—creosote, blue and red berry, an intriguing combo. Still acid, still tannins, lots of raspberry and some cedar at the back. We all wonder whether we’d pick off Barolo, but this is a fine, fine wine for something with this age on it and we all enjoyed drinking it.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Mike on Mini-Tour---Atlanta Dinner at Pyng Ho

#2 Post by dcornutt » October 12th, 2019, 9:13 am

A fun night Mike. Great notes. I thought the food was great too.
So great to see you, Jay and Nick!
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mike Evans » October 12th, 2019, 9:26 am

Mike, I’m always impressed that you are able to produce cogent notes after a dinner like last night. My 1998 - 2002 Austrians have been aging brilliantly and the Alzinger was no exception, I’m glad you enjoyed it. I didn’t find a lot of standout wines last night but also very few that weren’t enjoyable or that didn’t work with the food. I’m fine with that, as it can be hard to keep focus on the wines with so many old friends catching up and enjoying the food and company.

Looking forward to round two this afternoon.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Gus Siokis » October 12th, 2019, 10:23 am

Shoot! Mike G. how do I get plugged in with you for the Atlanta events?
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Gary Margol

#5 Post by Gary Margol » October 12th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Mike - 2015 Bedrock Cuvee Karatas? 2001 Weingart Schloss Furstenberg Spatlese?

Gus - shoot me an email for invites to some ATL events. Upcoming is La Grotta Buckhead Italian Stallions this month. Next month is Bien Nacido dinner.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Gus Siokis » October 12th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Sure, Gary!
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by NickRut » October 12th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Hope to be at the next one. Sounds like a fantastic event
Rutkowski

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mike Grammer » October 13th, 2019, 8:16 am

Didn't get to the Weingart Gary--so much great wine. Only had a small splash of the Karatas, it had some creaminess for me, but wasn't able to scratch out a note :) Thanks to the whole crew for spending time with me/us.

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Return to “Wine Talk”