My Bedrock welcome shipment

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
markjchambers

My Bedrock welcome shipment

#1 Post by markjchambers » October 11th, 2019, 5:41 pm

I contacted Bedrock a few months ago to get on their mail list. In response, I was offered a "welcome" package. I took it all and I just received 18 bottles. They are mostly zins (Envangelo, Bedrock, Old Vines, etc), all 2018. Plus a few odd things: a grenache, a field blend, Old Hill Ranch, and a couple of whites. So much like Carlisle, but these all seem very young. Should I pop them or salt them away for a couple of years?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: My Bedrock welcome shipment

#2 Post by Kris Patten » October 11th, 2019, 6:01 pm

I would open one of all the multiples. That's just me.
ITB

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael Martin » October 11th, 2019, 6:07 pm

I wouldn’t touch anything for at least 90 days. I would then open the Old Vines with a decant just for fun and then watch CT for updates on all the others.
Most likely you are going to want to sit on these for a bit.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 11th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Opening an Evangelho early is not a bad idea. It seems to drink well pretty much all the time.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Andrew Demaree » October 11th, 2019, 6:10 pm

And I wouldn’t touch any for at least three years.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

So let’s think about this for a minute. The guy gets first ever shipment from Bedrock, and he should wait three years to open anything? He’s going to have a new offering hit his email in 3-4 months. Shouldn’t he try a few to see what he thinks?

David Baum

#7 Post by David Baum » October 11th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Exactly. They are $20 to 40 bottles. Open whatever you want. You'll have plenty of offerings to load up on and age in the future

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Maddox » October 11th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Open as much as you want, as early as you want. Decide what you like, buy more.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

YLee

#9 Post by YLee » October 11th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Found the answer
Last edited by YLee on October 11th, 2019, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mattstolz

#10 Post by Mattstolz » October 11th, 2019, 7:02 pm

most bedrocks I've had are really enjoyable pretty much straightaway, but they all do well with some time in a cellar too. I would definitely open a few of the multiples to see if you like the style, then sit on a few if you think they'd benefit (they probably will). as noted before, the email list gets pretty regular offerings. would stink to get the next offering and not have tried anything yet!

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 11th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Whatever you choose to do in terms of your opening windows, you will learn something about aging wine and what your preferences are! [cheers.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#12 Post by Robert M yers » October 11th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Open one of each at least and possibly then save a couple to see what may happen in the future. These wines are hedonistic joy, I don’t think your missing anything by opening early. The wines will become different possibly, but not necessarily better. Save some for experiment and science but not to defer pleasure imo.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#13 Post by larry schaffer » October 12th, 2019, 1:06 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm
So let’s think about this for a minute. The guy gets first ever shipment from Bedrock, and he should wait three years to open anything? He’s going to have a new offering hit his email in 3-4 months. Shouldn’t he try a few to see what he thinks?
Agreed. Try them and see if you like them. To get an idea of how these will age, enjoy them over a 2 or 3 day period

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Rich Brown » October 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I would only open an Old Vine zin and give it tons of air. Even that is going to be REALLY young. Maybe a Dolinsek if you got one in the bundle.

Obviously plenty others here disagree, but to me the single vineyard wines demand 5+ years to start strutting their stuff, and are nowhere near as enjoyable young. For reference, 2012's are crazy good right now, and 07, 08, 09, and 2010 Bedrock heirloom/heritages opened within the last year have all been excellent with absolutely zero sign of slowing down anytime soon.

I totally get the concept of trying some now so he can get a feel for whether or not he likes them.....but it's just a tough call as to me they're completely different animals with some age on em.

Not what you were asking....but maybe find a 2012 online so you can compare to a 2018 if you do open one??

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Nate Simon » October 12th, 2019, 12:40 pm

My take (based on about 10 vintages of MTP’s wines): ALL of them need age. OVZ. Rosé. Appellation Syrah. All of them. Some drink nicely on release, but all will improve substantially after 1-3 years.

Albert R

#16 Post by Albert R » October 12th, 2019, 1:19 pm

For us it’s 3 years for the OZV and 5-8 years for the SVD’s. As some have mentioned, go ahead and try some. Just give them at least an hour decant and save some to follow over 2-3 days.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm

How long to decant a cracked bottle of the Esola Zin that arrived today? It’s leaked a tablespoon or two.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 12th, 2019, 2:00 pm

What about the whites in the recent release, wait on all those?

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Nate Simon » October 12th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm
How long to decant a cracked bottle of the Esola Zin that arrived today? It’s leaked a tablespoon or two.
If it has leaked, definitely notify the winery. Could be a sign of a bad cork, or even more ominously, could be a sign that the shipment was subjected to high temperatures.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by AlexS » October 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm
I would only open an Old Vine zin and give it tons of air. Even that is going to be REALLY young. Maybe a Dolinsek if you got one in the bundle.

Obviously plenty others here disagree, but to me the single vineyard wines demand 5+ years to start strutting their stuff, and are nowhere near as enjoyable young. For reference, 2012's are crazy good right now, and 07, 08, 09, and 2010 Bedrock heirloom/heritages opened within the last year have all been excellent with absolutely zero sign of slowing down anytime soon.

I totally get the concept of trying some now so he can get a feel for whether or not he likes them.....but it's just a tough call as to me they're completely different animals with some age on em.

Not what you were asking....but maybe find a 2012 online so you can compare to a 2018 if you do open one??
100% agreed and the first Bedrock I ever tried was the 2009 OV Zin, which spoke to me of enormous potential and immediately compelled me to forget about my other bottles for 2 years. Agreed on Dolinsek, can be another great option for younger drinking depending on vintage.

That said, I do think the wines can be somewhat showy on release and aside from Pagani or any Syrah, opening a 2018 Bedrock right now isn't nearly so bad as waiting 1 year after release, which is when they really shut down, at least in my experience.

Also love the idea of buying some older bottles to try - 2012 is a fantastic vintage recommendation.
s t e w @ r t

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 12th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm
If it has leaked, definitely notify the winery. Could be a sign of a bad cork, or even more ominously, could be a sign that the shipment was subjected to high temperatures.
It’s not a bad cork the bottle is cracked. The styrofoam was busted up. I emailed photos to bedrock.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Rich Brown » October 12th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Case in point - opened a 14 OVZ yesterday and it was good. Today, it was excellent (like....substantially better). And this is from their entry level zin. These wines really do demand time.....I highly recommend finding an older bottle at auction, and if you do open an 18 now, give it tons of air.

jon leifer

#23 Post by jon leifer » October 12th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I go back a number of years with Bedrock..IMHO, the only new release Bedrocks I wd pop and pour wd be the Rose and the whites, all the rest need time..My rule of thumb is 5 years., still drinking my 2013's.
Jon

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Nate Simon » October 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

The white wines age well also. The single-vineyard ones are awesome with some time. ‘12 Compagni was just great last week.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Dave H. » October 12th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Some are gonna get better but all are going to be good. If you’re curious about how much you like the wine just pop some corks. Healthy decant if you feel like it but it’s going to taste good on pnp. Don’t overthink it.
Hendrik

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew Demaree » October 12th, 2019, 6:43 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

My early experience with Bedrock was that I opened them too soon and thought they were meh. Did the same with Carlisle and actually dropped off the list because I wasn’t especially impressed. It wasn’t until I had each of these with 3-4 years of age that I ‘got it’. I increased my purchases of Bedrock and got back on the Carlisle list.

Rather than opening them early and being underwhelmed, I’d suggest cellaring them and either sourcing a couple with some age to try in the meantime (super easy at auction with almost no mark-up on most of them) and/or just being patient.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Andrew Demaree » October 12th, 2019, 6:46 pm

jon leifer wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 5:56 pm
I go back a number of years with Bedrock..IMHO, the only new release Bedrocks I wd pop and pour wd be the Rose and the whites, all the rest need time..My rule of thumb is 5 years., still drinking my 2013's.
Even the rosé is better after a year in the cellar, but it’s at least close to being ready on release. The reds, to my palate, are released very early and just aren’t anywhere near ready.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Rich Brown » October 12th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 6:43 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

My early experience with Bedrock was that I opened them too soon and thought they were meh. Did the same with Carlisle and actually dropped off the list because I wasn’t especially impressed. It wasn’t until I had each of these with 3-4 years of age that I ‘got it’. I increased my purchases of Bedrock and got back on the Carlisle list.

Rather than opening them early and being underwhelmed, I’d suggest cellaring them and either sourcing a couple with some age to try in the meantime (super easy at auction with almost no mark-up on most of them) and/or just being patient.
This x 10000

Its so true - while the wines might be 'ok' early on....they're a shell of themselves compared to 5+ years down the road. Again, I totally get wanting to open one now....just do yourself a solid and find an older one online. Pretty easy to do and wont set you back much.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 12th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Andrew Demaree wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 6:43 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:

I have opened numerous Bedrock wines directly on release or shortly thereafter, and only had one wine that I thought was “meh.” The rest were flat out gorgeous.

Different strokes.

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mark Maddox » October 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I’ve only been buying Bedrock for a couple of years. I popped and drank many young because I wanted to try them. I enjoyed every one I tried, some more than others...those some I bought more of, which I think is the point. Would they have been better with age, probably. Did I enjoy them young, yes. If I had put them in the cellar and not tried them for 5 years would they have been better, probably. If I had done that would Bedrock sell more wine, no. Do you think they would like to sell more wine, yes. Do you think I would like to enjoy Bedrock, yes. Should we quit telling people who are brand new to Bedrock to shelve wines they’ve never had longer than they’ve never had them, yes. New people, like myself, should be encouraged to learn about these and draw informed conclusions. Not trying them for years hurts our learning...and Bedrocks bottom line. So again, pop what you want, drink what you want, learn, enjoy and buy more!

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Rich Brown » October 12th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Mark Maddox wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm
I’ve only been buying Bedrock for a couple of years. I popped and drank many young because I wanted to try them. I enjoyed every one I tried, some more than others...those some I bought more of, which I think is the point. Would they have been better with age, probably. Did I enjoy them young, yes. If I had put them in the cellar and not tried them for 5 years would they have been better, probably. If I had done that would Bedrock sell more wine, no. Do you think they would like to sell more wine, yes. Do you think I would like to enjoy Bedrock, yes. Should we quit telling people who are brand new to Bedrock to shelve wines they’ve never had longer than they’ve never had them, yes. New people, like myself, should be encouraged to learn about these and draw informed conclusions. Not trying them for years hurts our learning...and Bedrocks bottom line. So again, pop what you want, drink what you want, learn, enjoy and buy more!
Always appreciate a good rant Mark, but I'd direct everyone back to Andrew's previous post. Again, I totally get the point of a someone new to Bedrock wanting to take one for a test drive.... but since it sounds like you've never tried one with some age on it, ...I honestly think you're missing out as well. Luckily you didnt seem to mind them young, but I think many others might be turned off by them. Take it from me and the handful of others on this thread who have been drinking these wines for a bit...they're WAY better after some time in the bottle. Not trying to discourage anyone from 'learning' by any means, but I stand by my previous statement of finding a 2012 (or older) online to get a feel for how these age. If you like em....which I'm guessing you will...you can continue buying/supporting Bedrock so that you have delicious wines at very reasonable prices to drink down the road.

Rant over ;)

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mark Maddox » October 12th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Really wasn’t intended as a rant, rather a perspective, you can buy some, pop a few young, cellar others and go from there. It doesn’t have to be an either/or but rather and and...do both, age some, drink some. While I appreciate and truly respect the opinions of people on this board, sometimes one must experience wine for themselves. Just one n00bs opinion.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Rich Brown » October 12th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Mark Maddox wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 8:20 pm
Really wasn’t intended as a rant, rather a perspective, you can buy some, pop a few young, cellar others and go from there. It doesn’t have to be an either/or but rather and and...do both, age some, drink some. While I appreciate and truly respect the opinions of people on this board, sometimes one must experience wine for themselves. Just one n00bs opinion.
I'm the one always going off on a Bedrock rant ;)

Totally makes sense Mark and I get both sides of the coin here. At the end of the day, i feel that everyone who is interested in Bedrock should source an older bottle (if they havent already) so that you can get a feel for what some of us are talking about. I'd highly recommend anything from 2012 right now - every single one I've opened recently has been silly good.

Let me know of you're ever in AZ Mark and we'll pop some Bedrock!! [cheers.gif]

Ian H

#34 Post by Ian H » October 13th, 2019, 1:36 pm

We had a 2016 Sodini last night and I thought it was excellent. I haven't had any of the other single vineyards earlier than this, but this was really good at 3 years on.
@@S

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Kris Patten » October 13th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Totally understand where you are coming from Rich, but for me personally, its absurd for a new person to Bedrock to get a bunch of sub-$50 wines, some sub-$30 and not try them young. We all have different palates and in the end it's a small price to pay to see where on the evolutionary scale you like Bedrock. I get sitting on some Grand Cru Burgundy, Classed Growths, whatever due to price, but to not try these young seems a shame.

Part of the adventure, and frankly most of the fun, is finding your way to where you have, knowing you like them at 7-12 years from vintage. Buying a 2012 doesn't let you experience what it was like in 2013.

I am in same boat as Mark, new to Bedrock (shame on me), and I know wine fairly well and will open most of the wines I ordered young, while taking some sage advice from you and others and buying a couple older wines to see 3, 6, and 9 years for fun and to cement my thoughts on the 2018s and cellar time.
ITB

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Rich Brown » October 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Yeah man, I totally get it and those are all valid points for sure. I can see wanting to open one super young to try and get a feel for them (again, I'd absolutley go OVZ or Dolinsek), especially since they're fairly priced....but i think you're spot on with also sourcing an older one to compare to a new release. These wines are truly built to age (much more so than their price point would leave many to believe), and as it sounds like you're about to find out, taste night/day different 5+ years out. So much so that I could see alot of people dismissing the wines if they've only tried a recent vintage (i.e Andrew's first Carlisle experiences).....which would be a damn shame as, to me, these are some of the most distinctive, well made, and flat out delicious wines being produced in CA.

Cheers man - make sure you report back after trying a few!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 13th, 2019, 4:43 pm

FWIW, popped a 2015 Bedrock Heritage tonight, and it has been stunning after about two hours (planned) of air.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Kris Patten » October 13th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Yeah man, I totally get it and those are all valid points for sure. I can see wanting to open one super young to try and get a feel for them (again, I'd absolutley go OVZ or Dolinsek), especially since they're fairly priced....but i think you're spot on with also sourcing an older one to compare to a new release. These wines are truly built to age (much more so than their price point would leave many to believe), and as it sounds like you're about to find out, taste night/day different 5+ years out. So much so that I could see alot of people dismissing the wines if they've only tried a recent vintage (i.e Andrew's first Carlisle experiences).....which would be a damn shame as, to me, these are some of the most distinctive, well made, and flat out delicious wines being produced in CA.

I found Carlisle to be delicious young or with some age, surly in between, somewhat like my Sauternes/Champagne rule...drink em young, drink em old, don't drink them in between.
ITB

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Rich Brown » October 13th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 5:36 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:40 pm

I found Carlisle to be delicious young or with some age, surly in between, somewhat like my Sauternes/Champagne rule...drink em young, drink em old, don't drink them in between.
Gotcha! Then you might actually dig some of the Bedrock wines early on. I'm with Andrew in that I like both Carlisle and Bedrock a lot more with some age......but either way, looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you pop/compare a few!

markjchambers

#40 Post by markjchambers » October 14th, 2019, 5:36 am

Wow… Lots of good advice out there. I appreciate it. I did crack an 18 OVZ and it was fine. Not a revelation, but solid and enjoyable.Not a Turley fruit bomb. I've been a long-time buyer of Carlisle, and I can't keep my hands off of them. I'm trying not to drink my 16 Paparas right now (but failing). I suspect I will have the same problem with Bedrock. I have planned a trip to Sonoma next month and I will visit their tasting room so maybe I will be able to try some older bottles.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Vince T » October 14th, 2019, 8:40 am

Many current and older vintages are still available at retail, e.g.
https://www.klwines.com/Products?searchText=bedrock

You can have it both ways... buy a few bottles with age and pop them to see what they blossom into, and then decide if you want to hold or drink... with the bonus that you can buy a few more back-vintages and wait for your shipment to get a few years. Or, you can decide to drink your bottles young, and then look for more bottles of the ones that you really love.
T s 3 n g

Gabe Berk

#42 Post by Gabe Berk » October 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Zinfandel young or with 2-3 years of age on it is fantastic. Pop a couple open to get a sense of the world of Bedrock, then start opening them over the next year or three. Killer stuff!!!

MBerto

#43 Post by MBerto » October 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I find all these "Let it age!" opinions to be interesting. I'll start by noting Bedrock is likely 2X the next most represented producer in my cellar. Maybe 3X. HOWEVER, this winery has only been around since what, 2007? And wasn't really getting noticed until 2010 or so? Given that so little is out there that even has 10 years on it, I posit we don't really know how this stuff is going to age. Now, I'm not particularly worried about any of it going over the hill in the next 5 years, but will it improve? I say TBD (although I like my chances). I do know when I open something with 2-4 years of "age" on it (I should note a general bias of mine that no wine is really "aged" until it's got 15 or so years on it) it's almost always fantastic. Yes, it tastes like a young wine - it is! So I say pop without worries, but hold if you're so inclined.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to go cry over the 2011 W-a-W Syrah #1 my wife opened with her friends.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

markjchambers

#44 Post by markjchambers » October 14th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Vince T wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:40 am
Many current and older vintages are still available at retail, e.g.
https://www.klwines.com/Products?searchText=bedrock

You can have it both ways... buy a few bottles with age and pop them to see what they blossom into, and then decide if you want to hold or drink... with the bonus that you can buy a few more back-vintages and wait for your shipment to get a few years. Or, you can decide to drink your bottles young, and then look for more bottles of the ones that you really love.
That is a great selection. I even have an account with K&L and I had a case picked out. But somewhere along the line they decided that they can't ship to Ohio. So I will have to look elsewhere.

Mattstolz

#45 Post by Mattstolz » October 14th, 2019, 3:32 pm

markjchambers wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 5:36 am
Wow… Lots of good advice out there. I appreciate it. I did crack an 18 OVZ and it was fine. Not a revelation, but solid and enjoyable.Not a Turley fruit bomb. I've been a long-time buyer of Carlisle, and I can't keep my hands off of them. I'm trying not to drink my 16 Paparas right now (but failing). I suspect I will have the same problem with Bedrock. I have planned a trip to Sonoma next month and I will visit their tasting room so maybe I will be able to try some older bottles.
to be fair, thats kind of the spot the OVZ should occupy in the lineup. its the one that should be an into to the style, but its also the least expensive in the lineup. you know based on that wine you're not gonna be the typical "poizin" style zin, but you also know its their most straightforward wine. I would absolutely suggest cracking open at least one of the field blends (even the evanghelo and other vineyard designates, while mostly Zin, are actually a blend) to see what the cost jump gains you. definitely decant and serve with something thats got a little backbone to it, and follow over a couple days!

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Chris H. » October 14th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Against my better judgement and out of pure curiosity, I coravined a few glasses of the recently arrived 2018 Old Hill Ranch Zinfandel, and greatly enjoyed it. Granted, it will improve over many years (I am still trying to save some 2014 Bedrock Vineyard Zins, as they are fairly young). I decanted for 4 hours, and enjoyed over another 2. I am not rating, but was young but VERY promising.

Enjoy the wines young and with bottle age, I've done both--no regrets. I'd say overall, the wines show well with several years of age on them, at least the reds.
H a r r i s

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by David H. » October 14th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Which whites did you receive? I'm a big fan of their Riesling and Compagni Portis offerings. The SB's, not so much.
H @ y c º c k

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mark Maddox » October 14th, 2019, 7:47 pm

David H. wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 7:00 pm
Which whites did you receive? I'm a big fan of their Riesling and Compagni Portis offerings. The SB's, not so much.
My wife and I visited in June, she doesn’t drink but lived the nose On the ‘18 SB so much she tried it and loved it, as did I. We bought quite a bit in case she decided to imbibe...in other words I love their SB!

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Kris Patten » October 15th, 2019, 8:31 pm

So, I opened a 2018 Old Vine Zin. Accessible, but would not open another for 2 years to flesh out a bit and develop some nuance vs. primary fruit. All that being said, I'd open one every vintage just to make that determination, for the sake of science.
ITB

JMFrawley

#50 Post by JMFrawley » October 16th, 2019, 7:24 am

AlexS wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Rich Brown wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm

100% agreed and the first Bedrock I ever tried was the 2009 OV Zin, which spoke to me of enormous potential and immediately compelled me to forget about my other bottles for 2 years. Agreed on Dolinsek, can be another great option for younger drinking depending on vintage.

That said, I do think the wines can be somewhat showy on release and aside from Pagani or any Syrah, opening a 2018 Bedrock right now isn't nearly so bad as waiting 1 year after release, which is when they really shut down, at least in my experience.

Also love the idea of buying some older bottles to try - 2012 is a fantastic vintage recommendation.
The 2012 North Coast Syrah is an absolute favorite of mine.
J@mes Fr@wley

Return to “Wine Talk”