Advice for traveling to Nice, France?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Advice for traveling to Nice, France?

#1 Post by Todd Tucker » October 11th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Hello all,

I was hoping to mine some of the WB community knowledge. I am stopping in Nice for a couple days prior to my annual pilgrimage to the Langhe in late April- early May of next year. I am completely unfamiliar with the city and was wondering what part of town I should stay in. I will be traveling alone and will likely rent an apartment. I would like to see the sea and walk to restaurants, cafes etc. Old Town seems very interesting to me, but I know next to nothing. I am not a night owl and am way past the bar scene stage in life. Also, any restaurant rec's would be appreciated for anything from delicious casual bistro to Michelin level food.

Also, I am flying into Nice, but do not have to stay in Nice, and if I would be better served driving east some and staying somewhere en route to the Langhe, I am open to any recs of places to stay on the sea.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

G. Greenbaum

Re: Advice for traveling to Nice, France?

#3 Post by G. Greenbaum » October 12th, 2019, 10:33 am

Was in Nice in April. We stayed here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/28331718?s ... n3JYuDgoWA
We had dinner at Maido, a japanese inspired place, very good. Also visited La Part des Anges, a very nice wine bar with cheese and charcuterie. They have a bistro down the street that is also excellent. http://lapartdesanges-nice.com. Nice is avery walkable city. If you want quiet, stay away from the old town and major streets in the city proper.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Todd Tucker » October 12th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Thank you!

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by George Hejna » October 15th, 2019, 7:22 am

It really depends on what you want. You basically have the entire south of France in to Italy within an easy drive from Nice. There are beautiful hill towns, you can stay on or near the sea or you can stay in a city. An Apartment for 3 days doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle. If you are traveling solo maybe move around a bit.

George

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#6 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 16th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Todd, as a lad (age 8 or 9) I was spoiled by a week at the Hotel Negresco with the family...including Bastille Day. Quite the experience. I'll never forget the dining, the cheese cart, the multi-course meals, the wait staff choreography....the waiter carefully peeling a peach like a surgeon, etc.. I believe there's still a 2 star Michelin restaurant inside the hotel. The Mediterranean just across the street. It was a splurge 50 years ago...but what a place. We took side trips to Monaco and the local park/mountains. Seems like the hotel is still operational and just as over the top.

RT

Return to “Travel Forum”