Lewelling 2007 Wight

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Lewelling 2007 Wight

#1 Post by Eric Werner » July 13th, 2019, 5:23 pm

So, tonight I opened up a 2007 Lewelling Wight.

Maybe I am a masochist, but I have had so many underwhelming 2007 Napa cabs of late (flabby, hot, disjointed), that after a really (really) bad performance by a 2007 Maybach, I just wanted to see how bad things could be. I checked CellarTracker, and the recent notes are not flattering. I have had the regular Lewelling bottling twice, and both times it was, well, not enjoyable. So, I pulled a couple other bottles out, assuming I would go to those quickly after not enjoying the Lewelling.

But, and it is early, it isn’t half bad. Maybe my expectations were so low that anything would have been ok, but my first few sips (after decanting for five hours) were like velvet. Nose was not hot at all, and no sign of stewed fruit or raisins. It is a big wine, no doubt about it, but the Flannery NY Strip has worked well to mellow it out. Now, it isn’t at the level of the 2004 Wight, which has been my favorite, but I will keep my other two and see how they age.

Let me go back to the 2007 Maybach if I can - had it last weekend, tasted by six people, and it was downright unpleasant. One person said Port. One said stewed/heat spoiled. One said box wine and thought I was playing a joke. The only person who knew what Maybach was (and has had a few), tried as he could to like it but couldn’t. I saved a half bottle of it for the next day, and it did not improve. Maybe the most disappointing wine I have had in years.

I don’t know what everyone else’s experiences have been recently with the 2007 vintage, but I have enjoyed the 2011 vintage way more than the 2007 recently. Who would have thunk?

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Lewelling 2007 Wight

#2 Post by Dan Hammer » July 14th, 2019, 7:14 am

Thanks for the Wight note. I expect to drink mine sooner rather than later. There was an '07 Wight note on CT yesterday. Take a look.
This space for rent.

Eric Werner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Lewelling 2007 Wight

#3 Post by Eric Werner » July 14th, 2019, 8:03 am

Interesting that someone else drank this wine yesterday (and posted on CT). My only follow up notes are that after I put the food away, the last glass did seem hot on the nose, and less balanced. I didn’t get the port notes as strongly as the CT note, but I also wonder if this has any chance and coming into balance (I hope so, but wouldn’t put money on it). I will likely try another one soon, and put the last one away for “science.”

Return to “Wine Talk”