Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5585
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#1 Post by Markus S » May 17th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Like Godot, still waiting.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2338
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#2 Post by NoahR » May 17th, 2019, 7:45 pm

If you find any 15 or 16, let me know. Have some ‘15 on order from Robert Panzer.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 13757
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#3 Post by Victor Hong » May 18th, 2019, 5:05 am

Did Ray Walker buy the business?
WineHunter.

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#4 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 18th, 2019, 5:45 am

Patience, grasshopper . . . .

I have no storage, so I’m cool with the wait.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2338
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#5 Post by NoahR » May 18th, 2019, 6:25 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:45 am
Patience, grasshopper . . . .

I have no storage, so I’m cool with the wait.
If you just keep it all in your Orlando attic, probably ends up like beautiful aged Madeira. The Alfert Canteiro method?
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 622
Joined: June 26th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#6 Post by Travis Fantz » May 18th, 2019, 8:24 am

Panzer told me July.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1821
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#7 Post by Robert M yers » May 18th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 8:24 am
Panzer told me July.
Was told April and then May....hmmm. I’m not in any hurry, but I would like to know what’s up I guess.

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 622
Joined: June 26th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#8 Post by Travis Fantz » May 18th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Sorry
I just reread his email, summer arrival which starts June 20th.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Robert Panzer
Posts: 2055
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#9 Post by Robert Panzer » May 18th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Full story once precise timing is locked in will go out to all those who purchased '15s. '16 offer will be on the heels once things are flowin'.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Robert Panzer
Posts: 2055
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#10 Post by Robert Panzer » May 18th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Oh. And I've seen my mound of packaged labeled wine at his winery twice. Tasted the botlled wine on three separate occasions.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1821
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#11 Post by Robert M yers » May 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Thanks For the update here Robert. Good to hear your/our wine is safe and ready to go. Mentally now Clearing some room in the budget for 16’s.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30091
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#12 Post by c fu » May 18th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm
Thanks For the update here Robert. Good to hear your/our wine is safe and ready to go. Mentally now Clearing some room in the budget for 16’s.
wonder what kind of chilling affect the delay of the 15s will have on 16 purchases.

Let's say they arrive end of June. No one will actually have their wines shipped until probably 2-3 months later. Will they purchase 16s when 15s still aren't in their hands?

I know the delay isn't the fault of the importers/retailers and out of their control, but there's probably gonna be some backlash by consumers that affect them based on the errors/delays by the domaine. I'll still be buying, but I know a few people who won't be.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2338
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#13 Post by NoahR » May 19th, 2019, 4:39 am

c fu wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm
Thanks For the update here Robert. Good to hear your/our wine is safe and ready to go. Mentally now Clearing some room in the budget for 16’s.
wonder what kind of chilling affect the delay of the 15s will have on 16 purchases.

Let's say they arrive end of June. No one will actually have their wines shipped until probably 2-3 months later. Will they purchase 16s when 15s still aren't in their hands?

I know the delay isn't the fault of the importers/retailers and out of their control, but there's probably gonna be some backlash by consumers that affect them based on the errors/delays by the domaine. I'll still be buying, but I know a few people who won't be.
Fu, you’ve kicked up the Rhône market so high, there won’t be lack of demand for Benetiere’s 16’s! As long the prices aren’t escalating like Allemand and Jamet ;)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#14 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 19th, 2019, 4:47 am

c fu wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm
Thanks For the update here Robert. Good to hear your/our wine is safe and ready to go. Mentally now Clearing some room in the budget for 16’s.
wonder what kind of chilling affect the delay of the 15s will have on 16 purchases.

Let's say they arrive end of June. No one will actually have their wines shipped until probably 2-3 months later. Will they purchase 16s when 15s still aren't in their hands?

I know the delay isn't the fault of the importers/retailers and out of their control, but there's probably gonna be some backlash by consumers that affect them based on the errors/delays by the domaine. I'll still be buying, but I know a few people who won't be.
My guess is, if you were a fan of Benetiere before the 2015 Northern Rhone hype, you will be a fan in 2016 and beyond. Even if there is something wrong with 2015, I’d still buy 2016 based on my perception of the vintage, and what I have experienced with Benetiere in vintages like 2010-2013. Of course, the winery holding on to 2015s for this period of time, and Robert commenting on tasting them 3 times with no word on what they taste like, is not comforting about the vintage. Part of the risk we all take in this hobby, which of course, is way offset by all the positives.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2338
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#15 Post by NoahR » May 19th, 2019, 5:22 am

His initial offer in 1/2018 had his assessment having tasted it twice in barrel and once in bottle apparently:

(Rob Panzer - hope you don’t mind the quote)

“ Oh yeah, I forgot. There is wine. :0 Pierre elected to sell off in bulk his entire 2014 Cordeloux and Condrieu production as the level of volatile acidity was through the roof, refusing to put his name on such a bottle. Imagine that, an entire year's work down the drain......He had just bottled the 2015 Cordeloux the week prior to my visit, a wine that had me in fits of yum yum freak out on the two prior occasions tasting it in barrel. He opened a bottle for me to enjoy with a veal rib-eye steak that he grilled over coals of dead grape vines. The wine (and veal chop) did not disappoint.....On the first evening, the wine presented deep ripe raspberry toned fruit, deep violet florals, and whole cluster spice, its richness and silky texture enrobing any sense of its seamlessly ripe tannic structure. There was at once a sense of the solar, ripe nature of 2015 without traces of excess, full of the tell tale finesse and harmony that are part of his patte maison (house style). On night number two as we reconvened for leftovers, the wine was even more precise and delineated, with the baby fat toning up a bit, with notably more whole cluster spice, fine buried minerality, and arresting aromatics. The ripe red raspberry toned fruit was even more expressive on the second evening, with savory notes continuing to emerge, with long and ever rising florals and spice, and then there was none.....”

Any reason to believe the wine will suffer either the same fate as 2014 or excesses of 2015 heat?
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 19th, 2019, 5:45 am

What was the issue, if any, with 2014? I forgot that I had not grabbed any.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
NoahR
Posts: 2338
Joined: December 1st, 2013, 1:07 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#17 Post by NoahR » May 19th, 2019, 5:51 am

He didn’t make any. VA problems.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#18 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 19th, 2019, 5:57 am

NoahR wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 5:51 am
He didn’t make any. VA problems.
Thanks, had totally forgotten about that. Terrible for such a small, artisanal producer.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30091
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#19 Post by c fu » May 19th, 2019, 10:49 am

NoahR wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 4:39 am
c fu wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 10:56 pm
Thanks For the update here Robert. Good to hear your/our wine is safe and ready to go. Mentally now Clearing some room in the budget for 16’s.
wonder what kind of chilling affect the delay of the 15s will have on 16 purchases.

Let's say they arrive end of June. No one will actually have their wines shipped until probably 2-3 months later. Will they purchase 16s when 15s still aren't in their hands?

I know the delay isn't the fault of the importers/retailers and out of their control, but there's probably gonna be some backlash by consumers that affect them based on the errors/delays by the domaine. I'll still be buying, but I know a few people who won't be.
Fu, you’ve kicked up the Rhône market so high, there won’t be lack of demand for Benetiere’s 16’s! As long the prices aren’t escalating like Allemand and Jamet ;)
Now that the Source are importing it i to the 3 tier system it’ll get there in no time. I’ll keep buying from panzer who is always prices and allocates fairly
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Robert Panzer
Posts: 2055
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#20 Post by Robert Panzer » May 19th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Fwiw, the '16 will be more expensive, but nothing crazy different. Like 15%-ish from what I understand.
Honestly, the dude deserves even more, which I tell him openly...
No prob at all Noah to quote my tasting note. Shows you actually read the offers, not just scroll down to boldface wine and price (tisk, tisk lord Alfert saying that i've not described tasting the wine....). [wink.gif]
As you would expect from the nature of the '16 vintage in general, it is more elegant, not as dense; fans of elegance vs raw power may prefer it, based on my barrel/tank tastings. It is plenty sappy and pure, with a seamless texture and similar if a bit brighter red fruited than the more solar '15. I will perhaps not have a chance to taste it in bottle before offering it, as I won't see him until late November.
Like I said, the story for the delay will go to purchasers once the dust is fully settled (i've been waiting for the final call any day now for a while), which I imagine will allay any concerns.
Um, I don't think it will be a problem if some people are skittish to buy the '16.
Their loss.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#21 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 19th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Robert Panzer wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Fwiw, the '16 will be more expensive, but nothing crazy different. Like 15%-ish from what I understand.
Honestly, the dude deserves even more, which I tell him openly...
No prob at all Noah to quote my tasting note. Shows you actually read the offers, not just scroll down to boldface wine and price (tisk, tisk lord Alfert saying that i've not described tasting the wine....). [wink.gif]
As you would expect from the nature of the '16 vintage in general, it is more elegant, not as dense; fans of elegance vs raw power may prefer it, based on my barrel/tank tastings. It is plenty sappy and pure, with a seamless texture and similar if a bit brighter red fruited than the more solar '15. I will perhaps not have a chance to taste it in bottle before offering it, as I won't see him until late November.
Like I said, the story for the delay will go to purchasers once the dust is fully settled (i've been waiting for the final call any day now for a while), which I imagine will allay any concerns.
Um, I don't think it will be a problem if some people are skittish to buy the '16.
Their loss.
Come on, you think I can possibly remember your email from almost a year ago!?! Your writing is flamboyant, but ain’t that memorable! Now keep in mind, I don’t remember what I read this morning, either. neener

Lord Alfert, Esq., out.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

ybarselah
Posts: 5760
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#22 Post by ybarselah » May 20th, 2019, 6:38 am

from the importer so public knowledge now... Due to an administrative oversight, 2015s and maybe 2016s will not be Cote Rotie but rather VdF. They failed to file some required paperwork, which led to a long bureaucratic nightmare. They were unable to release the wine until this was all settled. awaiting the new VdF labels. don’t anticipate seeing the wines before summer’s end.
Yaacov (ITB)

Robert Panzer
Posts: 2055
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#23 Post by Robert Panzer » May 20th, 2019, 7:05 am

In a nutshell, yes. '14/'15/'16 are the vintages in question, with an appeal in to the oh so slow INAO to respond to see if he can in fact still use Côte Rôtie on the label or not. I don't believe that there has yet been a final decision from the INAO. Moving forward, '17 and beyond can be labelled as Côte Rôtie.
Ugh. Paperwork.
I told him to label it Rôte Côtie.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30620
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#24 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » May 20th, 2019, 8:46 am

Or just label it “slow wine.”
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 5585
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#25 Post by Markus S » May 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Interesting. Nice to finally get some solid answers.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19580
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 20th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Just keep it cold, Robert. I look at this as free storage!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert Panzer
Posts: 2055
Joined: June 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Re: Anyone seen, gotten, or received any 2015 Benetiere yet?

#27 Post by Robert Panzer » May 21st, 2019, 8:36 am

My warehouse is ideal temp/humidity 24/7/365.
I am quite proud of its efficiency, the total energy bill in August is around $100!!!
It will soon be 100% solar, so ideal and self sustaining for ever and ever aaaamen.
Fwiw, indeed, the '15 and '16 Cordeloux will be labelled as Vin de France, as Yaacov was informed.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”