RIP André Lurton

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
GregT

RIP André Lurton

#1 Post by GregT » May 17th, 2019, 6:09 pm

French Resistance fighter and first owner in Bordeaux to sell a screwcapped cru classé.

And major force in Bordeaux politics.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: RIP André Lurton

#2 Post by Kris Patten » May 17th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Truly a gentleman. Visited him years ago and he asked me if I wanted to come to a company tasting of La Louviere from 1970 to 2001 because he found my palate and feedback thoughtful at a tasting at Couhins Lurton.

RIP
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Craig G » May 18th, 2019, 7:42 am

Lurton is one of those names where if I see it on a bottle, I’ll try it. I found lots of good Bordeaux that way. RIP.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mel Knox » May 20th, 2019, 2:58 pm

I stayed with Andre and his wife for a week back in 1979. They put a ping pong table into the ballroom of the chateau. They always said that Andre and his brothers wanted a chateau for every child.
ITB

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Mark Golodetz » May 20th, 2019, 3:18 pm

We took a tour of the chateau, and the highlight for me was a massive porphyry bath tub. It was magnificent, around 12 foot long, and the bathroom needed massive reinforcements to hold the weight.

My memories of Andre are wonderful; the consummate gentleman who was a polite but brilliant businessman, who with his brother built a mini wine empire, and yes, each of their children got a chateau. Will get a Louviere 1990 from warehouse, and toast his memory tomorrow.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”