TN: 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

TN: 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7

#1 Post by Dale McClaran » April 16th, 2019, 5:01 pm

• 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/16/2019)
    "A prime example of what I call “hidden sweetness” – residual sugar playing a supportive and catalytic role while not engendering any overt sense of sweetness – this will perform brilliantly at table as well as in your cellar.” David Schildknecht - I pasted this last part of DS's review on this same wine that perfectly encapsulates the perception of how the sweetness translates to the drinking experience; not troken nor Kabinett, it was very unique and damn tasty. Almost clear in color, I loved the smoky peach notes with biting grip. My first Halbtroken, my first Merkelbach, they won’t be my last. Yowzers. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
GO HAWKS!

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 16th, 2019, 5:08 pm

Merkelbach is old school Mosel Riesling. Amazing producers. Get the wines while you can. The brothers are not getting any younger.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Pat Martin

Re: TN: 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7

#3 Post by Pat Martin » April 16th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Merkelbach halbtrocken for sale. I plan to look, thanks!
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#4 Post by Dale McClaran » April 16th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Well priced too, this was all win. Can't wait to try the standard Spat, I have the 16 UW Spatlese #6 in the batters box.
GO HAWKS!

Return to “Wine Talk”