Sending bottles home from Napa

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
EHeffner

Sending bottles home from Napa

#1 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 7:59 am

Visiting Napa for first time next month. Going to celebrate a birthday and figured it may be fun to pick up some bottles while out there to bring home for future celebrations. Do the wineries offer their own shipping methods while out there? As in, can I buy some wine and have them ship it home for me?

Is there a store or service that I can use out there to drop off wine to be shipped back to me?

Looking to avoid lugging bottles around on a road trip and finding room in luggage
Evan Heffner

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yup...

#2 Post by TomHill » April 16th, 2019, 8:06 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 7:59 am
Visiting Napa for first time next month. Going to celebrate a birthday and figured it may be fun to pick up some bottles while out there to bring home for future celebrations. Do the wineries offer their own shipping methods while out there? As in, can I buy some wine and have them ship it home for me?
Is there a store or service that I can use out there to drop off wine to be shipped back to me?
Looking to avoid lugging bottles around on a road trip and finding room in luggage
Most wineries are willing to ship the wines for you. If you buy only a few btls, the $/btl can become expensive.
Tom

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Sending bottles home from Napa

#3 Post by mark rudner » April 16th, 2019, 8:07 am

adams st shipping in st helena and about 100 similar places seem to specialize in wine shipping and have containers etc
btw love that dogfish beer!

GregT

#4 Post by GregT » April 16th, 2019, 8:34 am

Many threads about this issue, with lots of suggestions, depending on how much you buy.
G . T a t a r

EHeffner

#5 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 9:13 am

Thanks for responses. I will use the search function when I have more time.

I would imagine that we would be walking away with a total of 6 to 12 bottles in all, so consolidating shipping to one source is what I’d be looking at. Shipping to Florida, so may have to look into cold shipping or hold until fall.

I also have access to some of the winery’s wines back at home, but thought it would be more special to bring some back. Thanks again for input. I’m staying at the Inn on First so reached out to them for recommendations
Evan Heffner

Brian Gilp

#6 Post by Brian Gilp » April 16th, 2019, 9:31 am

Go to the local UPS store. Buy one shipper. Fill with 12 bottles of wine. Take back as checked baggage.

EHeffner

#7 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 9:51 am

Issue resolved. I reached out to the Inn where I am staying and there is a service that comes to the Inn to pick up bottles for shipping. Seems like the most practical thing for me to do.
Evan Heffner

EHeffner

#8 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 9:52 am

Brian Gilp wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:31 am
Go to the local UPS store. Buy one shipper. Fill with 12 bottles of wine. Take back as checked baggage.
The main issue with that is lugging around a 13 bottle shopper on a road trip
Evan Heffner

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by mark rudner » April 16th, 2019, 9:58 am

that 13 bottle shipper is oddly bulky ;)

Paul Luckin

#10 Post by Paul Luckin » April 16th, 2019, 10:11 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:52 am
Brian Gilp wrote:
true, but consider:

1. you get your wine when you walk off the plane, eliminating the need to wait for a shipment, weather issues, Common Carrier mistakes, etc.

2. checked bag is only $25 on most airlines, sometimes less if you fly a bunch. shipping wine from CA to FL, depending on the service, could be 2x to 4x as much.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#11 Post by Dave McIsaac » April 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

Wine Check - Todd, I'll send you my address for my commission check!

EHeffner

#12 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 10:34 am

Paul Luckin wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 10:11 am
EHeffner wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:
true, but consider:

1. you get your wine when you walk off the plane, eliminating the need to wait for a shipment, weather issues, Common Carrier mistakes, etc.

2. checked bag is only $25 on most airlines, sometimes less if you fly a bunch. shipping wine from CA to FL, depending on the service, could be 2x to 4x as much.
Thanks! More food for thought! Honestly, I may just price out the service the hotel works with and see what the price is. I think my wife would kill me if we carried another piece of luggage from stop to stop (4 stops in 9 nights)
Evan Heffner

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Alan Rath » April 16th, 2019, 10:58 am

If you're going to be a wino, your wife will have to learn to accept this ;) I'm actually quite serious. And it's not really a big deal.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Bdklein

#14 Post by Bdklein » April 16th, 2019, 11:12 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 10:34 am
Paul Luckin wrote:
EHeffner wrote:

true, but consider:

Thanks! More food for thought! Honestly, I may just price out the service the hotel works with and see what the price is. I think my wife would kill me if we carried another piece of luggage from stop to stop (4 stops in 9 nights)
4 stops in 9 nights ? Ouch . Too much for me. Where you staying ?
Bruce Klein

EHeffner

#15 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 11:22 am

SF, Napa, Carmel, Santa Barbara, fly out of LA. Little road trip to celebrate my better half’s birthday. It’ll be a little hectic but looking forward to it. But ya, with all the hustle and bustle, I think shipping directly from Napa may be the move.
Evan Heffner

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by John Morris » April 16th, 2019, 11:39 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:13 am
Thanks for responses. I will use the search function when I have more time.

I would imagine that we would be walking away with a total of 6 to 12 bottles in all, so consolidating shipping to one source is what I’d be looking at. Shipping to Florida, so may have to look into cold shipping or hold until fall.

I also have access to some of the winery’s wines back at home, but thought it would be more special to bring some back. Thanks again for input. I’m staying at the Inn on First so reached out to them for recommendations
One winery was kind enough to let me consolidate bottles from other places in one case, and then ship it for me. I bought a half dozen bottles and asked if I could leave the there while I made other visits and bring the other bottles later. They were fine with that.
“The writing of legislation is perhaps the highest art form the United States has yet achieved, even more original and compelling than the television commercial.” – Gore Vidal, 1974

It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same. – me, 2018

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Alan Rath » April 16th, 2019, 11:41 am

Ah, didn't make the connection between this and your overall trip, duh. In that case, hauling wine around and worrying about it in a warm car is a PITA, one which would put a scowl on even my wife's face ;) Shipping is definitely the answer.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

EHeffner

#18 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 11:49 am

Thanks again for all the replies and information. It seems my best bet is to price out the option the Inn has, and go from there
Evan Heffner

Bdklein

#19 Post by Bdklein » April 16th, 2019, 12:03 pm

It was several years back , but when we stayed at the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena at the end of each day we gave them our wine from various wineries .When we left they worked with a shipping company who sent us 1 consolidated shipment .
Bruce Klein

EHeffner

#20 Post by EHeffner » April 16th, 2019, 12:09 pm

The Inn on First uses Carton and crates, which seems like a similar deal to the above. Now just need to see if they offer refrigerated shipping or hold until fall lol [snort.gif]
Evan Heffner

Mattstolz

#21 Post by Mattstolz » April 16th, 2019, 8:59 pm

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 7:59 am

I just got home from Oregon tonight and what we did was buy our wine there, a winery gave us a 12 pack shipper, and we checked it. cheapest shipping I've ever paid for a case.

Josh Espinosa

#22 Post by Josh Espinosa » April 17th, 2019, 4:49 am

I’ve used https://stagecoachexpress.com/ numerous times in Napa to send bottles back to NYC and it’s been great. Worth a second to check out!

David H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by David H. » April 17th, 2019, 5:54 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 10:34 am
Paul Luckin wrote:
EHeffner wrote:

true, but consider:

We always check cases back to Florida on our flight, five trips with zero issues. I vote to check your wine and keeping a shipper with you all day isn’t that bad. Depending on when you visit and how many days, you can leave the shipper in your room and fill it when you return each day.

Some wineries will offer penny shipping if you join a club for a couple shipments a few will allow your first purchase to be one of them, we’ve taken advantage of that also in the past.

Feel free to PM me any questions.
H @ y c º c k

EHeffner

#24 Post by EHeffner » April 17th, 2019, 6:40 am

Thanks again for all of the input. This is exactly why I asked now, so I know my options while there. I guess it’ll depend on how much we buy. If we buy 6 or under, I’ll probably just use a service to ship via UPS/FedEx. If we buy closer to 12, grabbing a winecheck locally may be the move!
Evan Heffner

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by David Glasser » April 17th, 2019, 8:18 am

I’m a fan of bringing it home with me in checked luggage. Or having the winery ship it, weighing convenience vs. cost/bottle.

As others have mentioned, weather is another factor. If it’s sunny or hot and you’re doing multiple stops without getting back to your room to drop off the bottles, bring a cooler and ice packs to keep in the car with the accumulating bottles between visits.

Never heard of stagecoachexpress before but will give them a look. Sounds very convenient.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by JDavisRoby » April 17th, 2019, 9:44 am

Fan of the wine check luggage. It’s a bit weird to travel with empty on the way but the travel back is great. If you’re flying Southwest it flys free, assuming you only have one other bag.

When I travel to Oregon for an annual golf tournament I utilize my golf bag carrier for wine shipping. Always worked great.
Joshu@

Joel S Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Joel S Morris » April 17th, 2019, 10:15 am

EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:51 am
Issue resolved. I reached out to the Inn where I am staying and there is a service that comes to the Inn to pick up bottles for shipping. Seems like the most practical thing for me to do.
Dicey shipping this time of year (I live in south FL); once plane lands here, it could sit & be exposed

EHeffner

#28 Post by EHeffner » April 17th, 2019, 10:51 am

Joel S Morris wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 10:15 am
EHeffner wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 9:51 am
Dicey shipping this time of year (I live in south FL); once plane lands here, it could sit & be exposed
If I go this route, I’d pay a little extra for cold packs. Honestly, I started this thread so I don’t panic while out there and stress out finding out options. Now I know the options available to me and will play by ear while out there. Hell, not even sure we’ll be bringing bottles home.

I have been in touch with fellow WB Carrie from Napa Wine and Cigars. They sell WineChecks so can always pivot once there if we end up buying a lot
Evan Heffner

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Karen Troisi » April 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I was just going to suggest getting in touch with Carrie and Randy. Other options are Buffalo Shipping in Napa and Bodega Shipping in St. Helena - both offer cold pack shipping options.
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Mike Van1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mike Van1 » April 17th, 2019, 7:04 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:44 am
Fan of the wine check luggage. It’s a bit weird to travel with empty on the way but the travel back is great.
We fill our Wine Check up with water bottles on the way out to give it some heft and to have water to start out with in Napa.
V-one

Rob Isaacs

#31 Post by Rob Isaacs » April 19th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Karen Troisi wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm
I was just going to suggest getting in touch with Carrie and Randy. Other options are Buffalo Shipping in Napa and Bodega Shipping in St. Helena - both offer cold pack shipping options.
Have used both of these and also Stagecoach, all were great. The only problem with using a shipping service is that you are bound to buy more than 12 bottles, once you get to 13 you might as well make it 24...

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » April 19th, 2019, 5:33 pm

I'd caution you to make a list of the things you're thinking about buying before you go and checking the pricing at local retail.

There are always unique things at the wineries when you visit, but you may be able to get a better deal locally than cellar door price for known wines from bigger wineries that have products in the distribution system.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

markjchambers

#33 Post by markjchambers » April 19th, 2019, 8:22 pm

No-one has talked about the actual cost of shipping wine back home. I've been to Napa and priced shipping services. A case of wine weighs about 40 lbs. If you ship via UPS it
might cost $30-$35 shipping to Ohio, but if you declare it as wine UPS or Fedex won't ship it. I've sent it undeclared and never had a problem. If the shipment was lost or damaged you would be SOL.

I've seen shipping services charge $80 a case or more. That's a rip off. Bringing your own styrofoam shipper is by far the best way. And it will give some protection to your wine while you're driving around sunny California. If you have you wine shipped, have the winery do it. They are mostly accommodating. When I've traveled with friends, we've always pooled our purchases so we are buying at least a case from the winery we are visiting. Most wineries want to make it easy for you to buy their wine on site and having a good shipping policy is a good selling point.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Randy Bowman » April 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Mark, you go buy your own shipper from a retailer, you pay the highest price for it. Shippers use wholesale pricing to be competitive. A case to Ohio is currently, without a residential fee, but with signature required and no insurance is about $50.00. To a business and insured, $70.00 plus, depending on the value of the wine. Most wineries use outside shippers/fulfillment centers which are more expensive, $80 to $100 to Ohio and $90 plus to the east coast.

There have been many laws, lawsuits and legislation among the states requiring UPS and FedEx to monitor and eliminate illegal shipments of alcoholic beverages or be prosecuted.

If you want your wine and no hassles, buy a Wine Check, pay the pittance for the extra bag and you have same day shipping.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Philip N. Jones

#35 Post by Philip N. Jones » April 19th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Does Alaska Airlines still have their wine flies free promotion?

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Dennis Borczon » April 20th, 2019, 1:03 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm
Mark, you go buy your own shipper from a retailer, you pay the highest price for it. Shippers use wholesale pricing to be competitive. A case to Ohio is currently, without a residential fee, but with signature required and no insurance is about $50.00. To a business and insured, $70.00 plus, depending on the value of the wine. Most wineries use outside shippers/fulfillment centers which are more expensive, $80 to $100 to Ohio and $90 plus to the east coast.

There have been many laws, lawsuits and legislation among the states requiring UPS and FedEx to monitor and eliminate illegal shipments of alcoholic beverages or be prosecuted.

If you want your wine and no hassles, buy a Wine Check, pay the pittance for the extra bag and you have same day shipping.
The definitive answer is above. Better yet if you have a cc that allows for airline credits (I have an AMEX that credits $200 per year, handy for charging extra bags). Checked bag shipping is an economical solution that will guarantee that you will not get into trouble with FedEx /UPS and our incredibly stupid alcohol shipping laws that are driven by the three tier protectionist system. Airlines could care less what you check.
If you want to make it super easy, try using the skycap curbside check when you pull up with a rental car (assuming you are traveling with another person). They will take those nice heavy boxes off your hands without you lugging them through a check in line.

Now if only the damned airlines would go back to allowing a free bag check again we could really travel more conveniently, and we might even get to the point where we can all get off and on the damn plane in less than an hour. If I have to watch another 110lb woman trying to hoist a 60 lb carry on bag into an overhead bin by herself (because she does not want to pay a check fee) I am going to lose my mind. But that is another story. deadhorse

PS. Slipping the skycap a tenner to assist you with those heavy boxes will assure they will arrive on the plane promptly in my experience.

EHeffner

#37 Post by EHeffner » April 20th, 2019, 6:37 am

Brent C l a y t o n wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 5:33 pm
I'd caution you to make a list of the things you're thinking about buying before you go and checking the pricing at local retail.

There are always unique things at the wineries when you visit, but you may be able to get a better deal locally than cellar door price for known wines from bigger wineries that have products in the distribution system.
This wasn’t terrible advice. One of the wines I was looking at bringing home, the winery wants $110, and then whatever to get it home. My local shop has same bottle for $99.
Evan Heffner

Return to “Wine Talk”