Boston Dining

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Boston Dining

#1 Post by jan.brekke » August 20th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I'll be out in Boston for a weekend in late October. Friday night I'd like to find a higher end restaurant with great tasting menu, suitable for an anniversary dinner. Reviewing previous posts, I have found Troquet and L'Espalier mentioned.

On Saturday, we'll be dining as a family (with two teenagers). Just looking for a great local restaurant (seafood, Italian, Asian all good). I was looking at Giulia as an option.
Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated. We'll be staying at the Westin Copley.

thx

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#2 Post by Jud Reis » August 20th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Jan - another option for the tasting menu is O Ya - fantastic multi course meal. For the more casual seafood meal, I personally love Row 34 on Congress street.

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#3 Post by jan.brekke » August 20th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Jud, Thanks for the recs. We had a great dinner at Row 34 in Portsmouth NH last year during our daughter's official recruiting visit to UNH. Did not know that they were also in Boston. O Ya looks great!

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#4 Post by Jud Reis » August 20th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Happy to help. If you are looking for the best wine list in town, you can’t go wrong with Troquet.

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#5 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » August 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Just made a reservation for O Ya Saturday October 20. Reading along to find some other spots, mostly for lunches as dinners will be work-related.

Staying in the Seaport.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

Re: Boston Dining

#6 Post by Joshua Kates » August 20th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Really like no.9 Park for the ambiance, as well as the food and wine. (Neither too fancy nor too casual, and right near the commons.) Don't think they are open for lunch, however.

geoffpm
Posts: 225
Joined: April 23rd, 2010, 6:45 am
Location: Wayland , MA

Re: Boston Dining

#7 Post by geoffpm » August 21st, 2018, 7:40 am

If you have a hankering for real Piemontese Northern Italian with an entirely Italian list with great surprises, Try Erbaluce . http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/#about-us-section. Charles Drahgi is an amazing chef and aspiring stand up comic.

The food is always inspiring and the wine impeccable.
Geoffrey P Miller

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#8 Post by jan.brekke » August 21st, 2018, 3:03 pm

geoffpm wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 7:40 am
If you have a hankering for real Piemontese Northern Italian with an entirely Italian list with great surprises, Try Erbaluce . http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/#about-us-section. Charles Drahgi is an amazing chef and aspiring stand up comic.

The food is always inspiring and the wine impeccable.
Geoff, would you recommend Erbaluce over Giulia? Both look very good.

User avatar
Alicia C.
Posts: 626
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (ex-D.C.-er)

Re: Boston Dining

#9 Post by Alicia C. » August 21st, 2018, 5:05 pm

Island Creek Oyster Bar is always delicious (I think it's the same folks who run Row 34 ... I'm still new to the area so learning my way). But if you venture over to Cambridge, so far my favorites here (with great wine lists) include Puritan & Co. and Pammy's .
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

geoffpm
Posts: 225
Joined: April 23rd, 2010, 6:45 am
Location: Wayland , MA

Re: Boston Dining

#10 Post by geoffpm » August 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am

Jan.

Guilia is also a great place. Their pastas are sublime. Erbaluce is not like any other American Italian restaurant. Draghi's touch is a bit more subtle and he lets the ingredients shine. It's also in an interesting quaint village area of Boston.
Geoffrey P Miller

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#11 Post by jan.brekke » August 22nd, 2018, 10:11 am

geoffpm wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 9:16 am
Jan.

Guilia is also a great place. Their pastas are sublime. Erbaluce is not like any other American Italian restaurant. Draghi's touch is a bit more subtle and he lets the ingredients shine. It's also in an interesting quaint village area of Boston.
Very helpful. thanks

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#12 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

My favorite restaurant in the Boston area is Craigie on Main (James Beard award), which has an outstanding tasting menu. Great cocktails and an interesting wine list. They also happen to serve one of the most famous burgers in American (cover of Bon Appetit), but they only make 18 a day, so you need to be there at 5:30PM sharp in the bar to snag one. Personally, I think their tasting menu is much better than Troquet or L'Espalier. L'Espalier is certainly a sexy experience, but I find it a bit tired. Bistro du Midi also has a good tasting menu, although I can never go back there again for an embarasing reason I won't mention lol.

If you want a pure tasting menu experience, check out The Tasting Counter, which was Boston's highest rated restaurant on the Opionated About Dining Top 100+ list last year. It's dropped to #117 this year behind Barbara Lynch's Menton at #110. It's trying to be Boston's Brooklyn Fare or The Catbird Seat, although I don't think it is remotely in their league. But a very fun experience (although the wine pairings are all natural wines and not that great imho).

If you want a great wine list, Troquet has one of the best you'll ever see, with great prices, and the food is very good too. Just did a 5-course tasting menu there a couple of weeks ago (they also have a 7-course). Unfortunately, you'll be too late for the Summer Wine Sale, which ends Labor Day Weekend. We had a pristine bottle of '86 Ch Margaux on Monday for $150 ($998 on their list). Wine steal of the year!

As mentioned, Erbaluce is great, although he doesn't use dairy or butter, so it is non-traditional. Best carbonara I've evah had! I also love Pammy's for Italian (fairly new). But personally, I wouldn't take 2 teenagers to either of these. Haven't been to Giulia. SRV would also be a great choice for Italian (Venetian).

Surprised no one mentioned Oleana, which is probably Boston's best restaurant (James Beard award). Although many people prefer their sister, Sarma, which I've never been too.

Boston's best cocktails are at ArtScience, although I haven't been since they switched chefs (the photos on Instagram look amazing).

If you like sushi, the omakase at Cafe Sushi in Harvard Square is as good as a 1 Michelin Star in NYC (the omakase, not the whole restaurant, which is very casual, although newly remodeled). Get reservations for the counter and you might sit next to Christopher Kimball! I would much prefer to eat there than O Ya, although the latter is an amazing experience.

The original Row 34 is actually the one in Boston, not Portsmouth. Their sister restaurant, Island Creek Oyster Bar is legendary (these are the oysters Thomas Keller serves at Per Se and French Laundry), but I personally think Row 34 is much better. Skip the famous Neptune Oyster in the North End (Italian district), my last meal there was very weak and it's a pain in the ass to get into anyway. For great seafood near Neptune, go for North Square Oyster next to Paul Revere's House. I prefer their lobster roll anyway (both hot and cold versions). Select Oyster Bar is also very good, although expensive.

Not knowing your teenager, I don't know where to suggest. If they like seafood, I'm sure they'll be happy at Row 34. Our best pizza is probably Area Four near MIT, where Obama visited. Asian, you might try Tiger Mama (Tiffany Faison from Top Chef). World Championship winning BBQ at The Smoke Shop near MIT (also locations in Seaport and Assembly Square, although I prefer the original). Tiffany Faison's Sweet Cheeks is also supposed to be good BBQ, although I haven't been there. Kirkland Tap & Trotter is the more casual sibling of Craigie on Main. I bet they'd like Myers + Chang, a nationally famous Asian fusion restaurant.

Here's Boston Magazine's current Top 50 list, which is a reasonable list of our best places:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-res ... in-boston/
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#13 Post by jan.brekke » August 23rd, 2018, 10:30 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm
My favorite restaurant in the Boston area is Craigie on Main (James Beard award), which has an outstanding tasting menu. Great cocktails and an interesting wine list. They also happen to serve one of the most famous burgers in American (cover of Bon Appetit), but they only make 18 a day, so you need to be there at 5:30PM sharp in the bar to snag one. Personally, I think their tasting menu is much better than Troquet or L'Espalier. L'Espalier is certainly a sexy experience, but I find it a bit tired. Bistro du Midi also has a good tasting menu, although I can never go back there again for an embarasing reason I won't mention lol.

If you want a pure tasting menu experience, check out The Tasting Counter, which was Boston's highest rated restaurant on the Opionated About Dining Top 100+ list last year. It's dropped to #117 this year behind Barbara Lynch's Menton at #110. It's trying to be Boston's Brooklyn Fare or The Catbird Seat, although I don't think it is remotely in their league. But a very fun experience (although the wine pairings are all natural wines and not that great imho).

If you want a great wine list, Troquet has one of the best you'll ever see, with great prices, and the food is very good too. Just did a 5-course tasting menu there a couple of weeks ago (they also have a 7-course). Unfortunately, you'll be too late for the Summer Wine Sale, which ends Labor Day Weekend. We had a pristine bottle of '86 Ch Margaux on Monday for $150 ($998 on their list). Wine steal of the year!

As mentioned, Erbaluce is great, although he doesn't use dairy or butter, so it is non-traditional. Best carbonara I've evah had! I also love Pammy's for Italian (fairly new). But personally, I wouldn't take 2 teenagers to either of these. Haven't been to Giulia. SRV would also be a great choice for Italian (Venetian).

Surprised no one mentioned Oleana, which is probably Boston's best restaurant (James Beard award). Although many people prefer their sister, Sarma, which I've never been too.

Boston's best cocktails are at ArtScience, although I haven't been since they switched chefs (the photos on Instagram look amazing).

If you like sushi, the omakase at Cafe Sushi in Harvard Square is as good as a 1 Michelin Star in NYC (the omakase, not the whole restaurant, which is very casual, although newly remodeled). Get reservations for the counter and you might sit next to Christopher Kimball! I would much prefer to eat there than O Ya, although the latter is an amazing experience.

The original Row 34 is actually the one in Boston, not Portsmouth. Their sister restaurant, Island Creek Oyster Bar is legendary (these are the oysters Thomas Keller serves at Per Se and French Laundry), but I personally think Row 34 is much better. Skip the famous Neptune Oyster in the North End (Italian district), my last meal there was very weak and it's a pain in the ass to get into anyway. For great seafood near Neptune, go for North Square Oyster next to Paul Revere's House. I prefer their lobster roll anyway (both hot and cold versions). Select Oyster Bar is also very good, although expensive.

Not knowing your teenager, I don't know where to suggest. If they like seafood, I'm sure they'll be happy at Row 34. Our best pizza is probably Area Four near MIT, where Obama visited. Asian, you might try Tiger Mama (Tiffany Faison from Top Chef). World Championship winning BBQ at The Smoke Shop near MIT (also locations in Seaport and Assembly Square, although I prefer the original). Tiffany Faison's Sweet Cheeks is also supposed to be good BBQ, although I haven't been there. Kirkland Tap & Trotter is the more casual sibling of Craigie on Main. I bet they'd like Myers + Chang, a nationally famous Asian fusion restaurant.

Here's Boston Magazine's current Top 50 list, which is a reasonable list of our best places:

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-res ... in-boston/
Just awesome. Thanks much!!

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#14 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 17th, 2018, 8:58 pm

I'm solo in Boston starting Friday night, wife has a punctured eardrum and cant make the flight. Anyone up for a meal or drinks just shout at me.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#15 Post by Jud Reis » October 18th, 2018, 7:13 am

Glenn - how long are you going to be in town?

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#16 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 18th, 2018, 9:30 am

Til Weds afternoon.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#17 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 19th, 2018, 6:19 am

We're doing something tonight. I'll PM you...
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#18 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 19th, 2018, 6:22 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 6:19 am
We're doing something tonight. I'll PM you...
I mean Saturday night.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#19 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 19th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Beer recommendations fellas please...
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#20 Post by Jud Reis » October 19th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Glenn - just got back from overseas. Let me see how jet lag is tomorrow- if I am in reasonably good shape, would you be free Sunday night for dinner?

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#21 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 19th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 3:23 pm
Beer recommendations fellas please...
Trillium is one of the best breweries in America.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#22 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 20th, 2018, 8:10 am

Jud Reis wrote:
October 19th, 2018, 6:11 pm
Glenn - just got back from overseas. Let me see how jet lag is tomorrow- if I am in reasonably good shape, would you be free Sunday night for dinner?
Meeting finished today so I’m free until dinner. Meetings tomorrow but right now free for dinner Sunday.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#23 Post by Jud Reis » October 20th, 2018, 9:02 am

PM sent.

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#24 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 20th, 2018, 9:03 am

I’m thinking Trillium/Smoke Shop lunch.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#25 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » October 20th, 2018, 1:46 pm

New Trillium tasting superstore is straight dope.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#26 Post by Jud Reis » October 21st, 2018, 6:44 am

Glenn - don’t know if you got my private messages? If tonight doesn’t work, no worries. But if you want to get together please let me know w soon.

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#27 Post by jan.brekke » November 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm

A quick update from our Boston trip. It ended up just being the wife and I for the weekend. I was in meetings all day Fri/Sat, which wasn't a bad thing with a nasty Noreaster blowing through on Saturday. Friday night we had the tasting menu at Troquet. I tried to book O Ya, but it was fully booked six weeks in advance. Troquet was decent, but nothing more. It was strangely quiet for a Friday night. It had the feel of a place that had hit its peak some time ago. I was expecting more with the wine pairings. They simply brought us a number of wines that were on their by the glass menu.
Saturday at Craigie on Main was a different story. Great vibe, really good waitstaff, nice wine list and excellent food. As a Midwesterner in New England, I went heavy on the seafood: raw oysters, fried essex clams and butter poached dayboat cod (all were excellent). The waiter steered us towards a bottle of 2016 Jean-Philippe Fichet Auxey-Duresses, which was a great choice. The cheese plate was excellent and was paired with a glass of 2 user reviews
1989 Domaine du Viking Vouvray Cuvée Aurélie, which was wonderful. I would highly recommend Craigie on Main and hope to return on our next trip.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#28 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » November 5th, 2018, 8:45 am

jan.brekke wrote:
November 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
I was expecting more with the wine pairings. They simply brought us a number of wines that were on their by the glass menu.
Unfortunately, you screwed up. ;-) Troquet isn't a wine bar; they don't even have an Enomatic system or a Coravin. The bottle list is what makes it special. [head-bang.gif]

If I'm drinking by the glass in the bar, I do beers, since they have some world class beers. Although they do sell NV Krug by the glass ($40).
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#29 Post by Jud Reis » November 5th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy it Jan. Agree with Kevin, the by the bottle list is what makes the Troquet wine program special, by the glass is certainly better than average, but not as good.

User avatar
Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5426
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: Kew Gardens, NY

Re: Boston Dining

#30 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » November 5th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Always Always Always when at Troquet ask if they have any last bottle or 'scratch and dent' deals off the list. Chris always has some random stuff hanging around, or maybe something from a new acquisition that just arrived.

I haven't been in years now but from the start on Comm Ave the brilliance of a night at Troquet was always finding a great bottle at a decent price and the food being a palette for the wine(s).
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#31 Post by jan.brekke » December 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 8:45 am
jan.brekke wrote:
November 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
I was expecting more with the wine pairings. They simply brought us a number of wines that were on their by the glass menu.
Unfortunately, you screwed up. ;-) Troquet isn't a wine bar; they don't even have an Enomatic system or a Coravin. The bottle list is what makes it special. [head-bang.gif]

If I'm drinking by the glass in the bar, I do beers, since they have some world class beers. Although they do sell NV Krug by the glass ($40).
Sad that a restaurant with a great bottle list doesn't have a great wine pairing menu with the tasting menu. I guess I should have known that something was off, as they didn't have the wine pairings listed with the tasting menu. The whole experience wasn't great. This place has the feel of a restaurant that won't be around long. One quarter full on a Friday night in October doesn't bode well. I certainly won't be back.

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#32 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 16th, 2018, 7:25 pm

jan.brekke wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm
This place has the feel of a restaurant that won't be around long.
Care to place a bet on that?
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20644
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: Boston Dining

#33 Post by Steve Manzi » December 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 7:25 pm
jan.brekke wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm
This place has the feel of a restaurant that won't be around long.
Care to place a bet on that?
Been there a few times when I drive up to visit. They are NOT disappearing. Not a chance.
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 265
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Boston Dining

#34 Post by jan.brekke » December 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 7:25 pm
jan.brekke wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm
This place has the feel of a restaurant that won't be around long.
Care to place a bet on that?
Been there a few times when I drive up to visit. They are NOT disappearing. Not a chance.
I'm sure that you are correct, but I've never been to a highly rated restaurant so dead on a Friday night in good weather. The contrast between Troquet and Craigie on Main was absolutely striking. Can't say enough good things about Craigie on Main - I'll definitely be back.

User avatar
Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20644
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Location: North/Central NJ

Re: Boston Dining

#35 Post by Steve Manzi » December 17th, 2018, 6:50 pm

jan.brekke wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Steve Manzi wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 7:25 pm


Care to place a bet on that?
Been there a few times when I drive up to visit. They are NOT disappearing. Not a chance.
I'm sure that you are correct, but I've never been to a highly rated restaurant so dead on a Friday night in good weather. The contrast between Troquet and Craigie on Main was absolutely striking. Can't say enough good things about Craigie on Main - I'll definitely be back.

Been to Craig On Main twice. Excellent.
________________________________________
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but silence of friends" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#36 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 17th, 2018, 7:18 pm

jan.brekke wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Steve Manzi wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 2:45 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 7:25 pm


Care to place a bet on that?
Been there a few times when I drive up to visit. They are NOT disappearing. Not a chance.
I'm sure that you are correct, but I've never been to a highly rated restaurant so dead on a Friday night in good weather. The contrast between Troquet and Craigie on Main was absolutely striking. Can't say enough good things about Craigie on Main - I'll definitely be back.
Apples and oranges. Craigie is a nationally famous restaurant with a James Beard Award-Winning chef and would have a Michelin star if Michelin deigned to review Boston. The wine list can be interesting, but I usually order their cocktails, which are better. Troquet has good food, but the reason it is a drive-out-of-your-way restaurant is the best wine list in New England. I had so many great or at least facinating wines there this year over a dozen or so visits (not the least of which was a pristine bottle of 1982 Chateau Margaux for $150). They've even got the best happy hour in Boston. Wanted to go there last Saturday, but they were booked solid.
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10837
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Boston Dining

#37 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm

Back from a week in Boston. I lived there until 1997, and go back 3-6 times per year. Always stay at XV Beacon on the hill.

Food: Since I stay at XV Beacon, it is natural to have food there at the bar. They turn out excellent food, whether you want steak with all the fixings, or some wagyu dumplings, for something light. Still hate the name "Mooo," which is the rename after they called it the Federalist. Oh well.

No.9 Park had always been a favorite for years, but had fallen from glory to my taste. A friend wanted to go there, so of course I said yes. Everything was way up to par...food, service, everything. I went for the homemade tagliatelle with the fresh white truffles shaved over at the table. Awesome. I asked for the waiter to bring me a glass of something to pair, and he opened a fresh bottle of something I think was not on the by-the-glass menu. Regionally correct and perfect for my dish. He poured a second glass on the house. I was not "working," so I paid little attention to the bottle, just enjoyed what was in the glass.

Lunch at Cultivar, in the Ames Hotel. Gorgeous cod fish stew with potatoes and bacon. I had a glass of some champagne they had on their list.

Lunch at Toscano on Charles St. Always a must. Very inexpensive and always good. Dierdre still behind the bar and ready to please. I had the pasta Nocera (black truffled). Excellent.

Lunch at Post 390 - my friend's choice. You can easily pass on that because of the food and the service. It was a grade of "D" at best.

Lunch at Carrie Nation. Forget it - do not step in the door. Any Boston restaurant that screws up fish and chips should be fired.

Dinner at Sorellina. Elegant, very good food, very pricey. Not up to previous visits. I was asked by my male companion to order the wine, and I did so. The waiter brought the bottle and a glass to taste from, and set it between us. My companion picked up the stem and declared it fine as my jaw hit the table. Both he and the restaurant are on double-probation.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2798
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Boston Dining

#38 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 21st, 2018, 5:33 pm

No mention of deuxave?

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10837
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Boston Dining

#39 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 21st, 2018, 6:24 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 5:33 pm
No mention of deuxave?
I went there shortly after they opened. Been years. Omition is not a negaive - I jut had so many lunches and dinners to have. And I defer to my local hosts. Do not go to Carrie Nation. That was just awful.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: Harpswell, Maine

Re: Boston Dining

#40 Post by Dan Kravitz » December 22nd, 2018, 4:06 pm

I did a working dinner at Deuxave just over a year ago. They did really, really well. Wine list is carefully chosen, not inexpensive, but far from crazy pricing and it's not in the low rent district. Food was excellent, as was service.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2798
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Boston Dining

#41 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 22nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

I really liked deuxave the 2-3 times I’ve been.

User avatar
Alicia C.
Posts: 626
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (ex-D.C.-er)

Re: Boston Dining

#42 Post by Alicia C. » December 22nd, 2018, 5:51 pm

Thanks, Merrill for the report! After about 8 months here in Boston, I'm still trying to make my way around the city (so this is helpful!) I had lunch at the Cambridge Toscano a few weeks ago (same as the one on Charles St., I believe) and it was delicious!
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18600
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Boston Dining

#43 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 23rd, 2018, 11:06 am

Months removed I find myself remembering O Ya as a truly fantastic meal, even if solo. I also need to send thanks to Jud and his lovely wife, who took me out to Troquet on South for communion with great wines they brought.

This was epic, shaved, local Fluke:
7399068A-C194-4BE0-83CF-D363C73B98B4.jpeg
A5, nuff said:
A92F8000-F077-4AF7-B41B-0FA3C0849B50.jpeg
Japanese Harmony:
19B0CEA3-313B-44BD-851C-217DA4EF825F.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#44 Post by Jud Reis » December 23rd, 2018, 2:31 pm

Glenn - it was a pleasure meeting you. I have only had great experiences at O YA, although my patience for that long a meal experience is starting to wane. No Bandon this year with my buddies ( Streamsong in FL) instead. We will definitely be in touch if we make it out your way.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Boston Dining

#45 Post by Jud Reis » December 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm
Back from a week in Boston. I lived there until 1997, and go back 3-6 times per year. Always stay at XV Beacon on the hill.

Food: Since I stay at XV Beacon, it is natural to have food there at the bar. They turn out excellent food, whether you want steak with all the fixings, or some wagyu dumplings, for something light. Still hate the name "Mooo," which is the rename after they called it the Federalist. Oh well.

No.9 Park had always been a favorite for years, but had fallen from glory to my taste. A friend wanted to go there, so of course I said yes. Everything was way up to par...food, service, everything. I went for the homemade tagliatelle with the fresh white truffles shaved over at the table. Awesome. I asked for the waiter to bring me a glass of something to pair, and he opened a fresh bottle of something I think was not on the by-the-glass menu. Regionally correct and perfect for my dish. He poured a second glass on the house. I was not "working," so I paid little attention to the bottle, just enjoyed what was in the glass.

Lunch at Cultivar, in the Ames Hotel. Gorgeous cod fish stew with potatoes and bacon. I had a glass of some champagne they had on their list.

Lunch at Toscano on Charles St. Always a must. Very inexpensive and always good. Dierdre still behind the bar and ready to please. I had the pasta Nocera (black truffled). Excellent.

Lunch at Post 390 - my friend's choice. You can easily pass on that because of the food and the service. It was a grade of "D" at best.

Lunch at Carrie Nation. Forget it - do not step in the door. Any Boston restaurant that screws up fish and chips should be fired.

Dinner at Sorellina. Elegant, very good food, very pricey. Not up to previous visits. I was asked by my male companion to order the wine, and I did so. The waiter brought the bottle and a glass to taste from, and set it between us. My companion picked up the stem and declared it fine as my jaw hit the table. Both he and the restaurant are on double-probation.
Funny you mentioned #9 Park - Lisa and I went there last fall for the first time in ages and thought everything was really well done, food and service were spot on. Merry Christmas Merrill!

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10837
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Boston Dining

#46 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 24th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm
Back from a week in Boston. I lived there until 1997, and go back 3-6 times per year. Always stay at XV Beacon on the hill.

Food: Since I stay at XV Beacon, it is natural to have food there at the bar. They turn out excellent food, whether you want steak with all the fixings, or some wagyu dumplings, for something light. Still hate the name "Mooo," which is the rename after they called it the Federalist. Oh well.

No.9 Park had always been a favorite for years, but had fallen from glory to my taste. A friend wanted to go there, so of course I said yes. Everything was way up to par...food, service, everything. I went for the homemade tagliatelle with the fresh white truffles shaved over at the table. Awesome. I asked for the waiter to bring me a glass of something to pair, and he opened a fresh bottle of something I think was not on the by-the-glass menu. Regionally correct and perfect for my dish. He poured a second glass on the house. I was not "working," so I paid little attention to the bottle, just enjoyed what was in the glass.

Lunch at Cultivar, in the Ames Hotel. Gorgeous cod fish stew with potatoes and bacon. I had a glass of some champagne they had on their list.

Lunch at Toscano on Charles St. Always a must. Very inexpensive and always good. Dierdre still behind the bar and ready to please. I had the pasta Nocera (black truffled). Excellent.

Lunch at Post 390 - my friend's choice. You can easily pass on that because of the food and the service. It was a grade of "D" at best.

Lunch at Carrie Nation. Forget it - do not step in the door. Any Boston restaurant that screws up fish and chips should be fired.

Dinner at Sorellina. Elegant, very good food, very pricey. Not up to previous visits. I was asked by my male companion to order the wine, and I did so. The waiter brought the bottle and a glass to taste from, and set it between us. My companion picked up the stem and declared it fine as my jaw hit the table. Both he and the restaurant are on double-probation.
Funny you mentioned #9 Park - Lisa and I went there last fall for the first time in ages and thought everything was really well done, food and service were spot on. Merry Christmas Merrill!
And Merry Christmas to you and Lisa! Sorry your schedule was full and we could not get together. Try Cultivar...I have been a few times and really like it. Thankfully, one of my friends cancelled sort of last minute, and the concierge got me an awesome ticket to the Celtics game.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#47 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 25th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Devra First (Globe reviewer) didn't seem very enthused by the food at No. 9 Park recently (she re-visted all of Barbara Lynch's restaurants):

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/f ... story.html
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 10837
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: Boston Dining

#48 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 26th, 2018, 8:39 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 3:19 pm
Devra First (Globe reviewer) didn't seem very enthused by the food at No. 9 Park recently (she re-visted all of Barbara Lynch's restaurants):

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/f ... story.html
I stopped going to No9, but my Boston friend wanted to go there. It was spectacular, so I will go back again to see if it is a repeatable expereince.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#49 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » December 27th, 2018, 5:34 am

L'Espalier is closing after 40 years this week:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/f ... story.html
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1212
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Boston Dining

#50 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » January 10th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Not a good few months for Boston dining: B3, L'Espalier, Erbaluce, Cultivar, Shepard, Brasserie Jo, Les Sablons...all closed. Erbaluce and B3 are particularly sad for me.

On the positive side, we no longer have to warn visitors away from Durgin-Park (just Union Oyster House).
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”