TN: 1977 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon)

• 1977 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (12/25/2017)
    A beautiful old wine holding up quite well. It benefited from a one hour plus decant. The lighter side of Chinon in taste. The fruits are quite mellow and the forest floor and pig pen is gentle. It is unmistakenly Chinon. This was a joy to drink. I wouldn’t say it is dropping off, but probably in a flat line. My fear would be waiting too many more years will drop out the remaining fruit. I only see two on CT and one is my other, so this isn’t much of a PSA. Yes, I would rebuy. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

classic chinon…well done sir…one of the best Olga’ s i have ever tasted…a wine that has plenty of life left in the tank

Marc, for me the 1979 and 1985 are a touch better with the volume turned up a bit more on the components like fruit and nose. I am especially fond of the 1985 having consumed 5 of my 7. My least favorite has been the 2012 but maybe it needs 30 years. [cheers.gif]

Some wonderful library releases from Olga.
I need to find that '85.

Very nice, Steve!
I’ve gone through a bit of the '83, '85, and '90, but never went as far back as '77.
Nice treat.
The '85 is really special and used to be rather easy to find for like $75. (oh, it still is!)
Marc- https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/olga+raffault+picasse/1985/usa

The 77, 79, 89 and 90 have all shown extremely well to me over the past two years. I still have several of the latter vintages. Have not had the 85 but will track it down based on the recos above. And 2012, hmmm, somehow I missed it. I can’t believe I grabbed a horde of 07, 09 and 10 at $20 per!!!

Great stuff, and great notes!