The Paring Red by Jonota

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Karl F

The Paring Red by Jonota

#1 Post by Karl F » October 24th, 2017, 7:14 pm

So, I came onto this wine last year from a local merchant. The 2012
I have to say that it is quite delicious. I really like this Red Blend. I have a few more of the 2012 but the 13 is out now and Vivino shows it rated a tad higher.
A site that I found on the web says the following.

Today we offer a 92 point Cabernet-based California red blend that thoroughly over-delivers! From the owner of Screaming Eagle, the hottest cult wine in California, Jonata's "The Paring" is flat-out delicious. Antonio Galloni calls it "easily one of the very best values readers will find in California."

I have to tell you, I like this wine.

Anyone know more about the winery?

I have some of the 13 lined up.

Thanks
Karl Fauser

Rory K.

The Paring Red by Jonota

#2 Post by Rory K. » October 25th, 2017, 1:05 am

They do some nice work with Bordeaux varieties (plus syrah/Sangiovese) in Southern California, definitely marketed as premium with a more modest sister winery The Hilt (Pinot/Chard). Same OWNER as Screaming Eagle, not the same wine-making team however, most write-ups do tend to really punch up the Screagle connection though I don't understand how a billionaire financier makes the wine. Jonata's wine maker Matt Dees does great work though.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Karl F

The Paring Red by Jonota

#3 Post by Karl F » October 25th, 2017, 4:25 am

Thanks Rory
The red is great especially at the price point.
It's interesting that it is from that central southern region of CA.
Not that I know what that regions cabs are like other than Paso Robles which is distinct in its difference from Napa / Sonoma.
Could have sworn this was northern CA fruit.
Karl Fauser

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

The Paring Red by Jonota

#4 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 25th, 2017, 4:42 am

I've been buying The Paring Red as a cellar defender for years! I can usually find it locally for less than $25 and it over delivers for that price IMO.

Rory K.

The Paring Red by Jonota

#5 Post by Rory K. » October 25th, 2017, 8:01 am

Karl F wrote:Thanks Rory
The red is great especially at the price point.
It's interesting that it is from that central southern region of CA.
Not that I know what that regions cabs are like other than Paso Robles which is distinct in its difference from Napa / Sonoma.
Could have sworn this was northern CA fruit.

Well I'm not so sure, Jonata is located in Santa Ynez, but I just read the Paring is a vineyard blend of leftover fruit from both Jonata and The Hilt's sources, and the AVA is listed as just 'California' so likely its a real mix of regions.
K i n n e a r

ITB

P Turk
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#6 Post by P Turk » October 25th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Really like The Paring for the price, typically $22-23 where I shop. Had a Jonata Todos recently, and that is really good, too.
Phil

Karl F

The Paring Red by Jonota

#7 Post by Karl F » October 25th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Sounds like Jonota is flying under the radar.
Would love to know where the fruit comes from for the Red blend.
Karl Fauser

R. Gaston

The Paring Red by Jonota

#8 Post by R. Gaston » October 25th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Definitely not under any radar. Matt is an amazing winemaker but Jonata has been around and priced very high compared to anything around the area. I love their wines but man are they pricey. The Paring is a great value and would be a solid candidate for the best 2nd label wine thread.
Ryan

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

The Paring Red by Jonota

#9 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 26th, 2017, 4:17 am

R. Gaston wrote:Definitely not under any radar. Matt is an amazing winemaker but Jonata has been around and priced very high compared to anything around the area. I love their wines but man are they pricey. The Paring is a great value and would be a solid candidate for the best 2nd label wine thread.
Agree not under the radar, for sure. Wondering what similar quality red blends from the area you would recommend that are less expensive? Would love to try.

Karl F

The Paring Red by Jonota

#10 Post by Karl F » October 26th, 2017, 6:53 am

Interesting that the name Jonota is not on the label anywhere.
Picked up some 2013 and tried.
Very nice.
Wonder where the fruit comes from?
Karl Fauser

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

The Paring Red by Jonota

#11 Post by larry schaffer » October 26th, 2017, 7:11 am

From what I understand, some of these are blends of fruit from their holdings up in Napa with Santa Barbara county fruit and some use only SB County fruit. There is no way to tell at all.

Great values from a great winemaker.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

H Bongiovi

The Paring Red by Jonota

#12 Post by H Bongiovi » October 26th, 2017, 11:43 am

I've been a buyer since the 2005 vintage and considerate this an annual purchase; as others have stated, great QPR and Matt Dees is extremely talented and a good guy
Henry

Karl F

The Paring Red by Jonota

#13 Post by Karl F » October 26th, 2017, 4:41 pm

This was interesting.
Review on Vivino on The Paring by Luke.
Regarding the location of cabernet fruit.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/the-par ... s/red-2012
Karl Fauser

greg gartland

The Paring Red by Jonota

#14 Post by greg gartland » October 27th, 2017, 6:59 am

Karl F wrote:This was interesting.
Review on Vivino on The Paring by Luke.
Regarding the location of cabernet fruit.

https://www.vivino.com/wineries/the-par ... s/red-2012
Yes some stores were pushing the Paring around 5+ years ago (when I first came across it) as being secretly the "parings" from the Screaming Eagle bottling.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#15 Post by P Intag » November 6th, 2017, 1:19 pm

I picked up a bottle of the 2012 recently and opened it Friday. WAY too much oak for my palate. Toasted oak, cocoa galore with an abundance of oak tannin. My wife and I drank the bottle over about 4 hours in one evening. Not decanted, but left one glass in air for about an hour. The oak did not seem to integrate at all through the evening. Absolutely hated it.
Paul

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#16 Post by Mike Evans » November 6th, 2017, 2:15 pm

I posted a note on the 2013 in my Saturday Bordeaux thread, and while it isn't the style I prefer, I didn't find the wood overwhelming and expressed more as caramelized brown sugar than vanilla and it had enough savoriness that I found it perfectly drinkable.

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#17 Post by jcoley3 » November 6th, 2017, 9:13 pm

+1 on all the love for Matt Dees. He's doing great work at Jonata, Hilt and with Paring.

The Jonata stuff is expensive, but they show well with other comparably priced wines, particularly the Syrah. The Cab Franc can be special, too.

(disclaimer - Matt is a friend, but I had his wines before I ever met him)
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#18 Post by P Intag » November 7th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Mike Evans wrote:I posted a note on the 2013 in my Saturday Bordeaux thread, and while it isn't the style I prefer, I didn't find the wood overwhelming and expressed more as caramelized brown sugar than vanilla and it had enough savoriness that I found it perfectly drinkable.
I haven't tried the 2013, so I can't comment on it vs. the 2012. The other notes on the 2012 in CT and Vivino don't make much mention of the oak, but there are many mentions of "dark fruit". I am of the opinion that most of these "dark fruit" comments are really referring to the flavors imparted by the toasted oak, but recognize it as fruit flavors. In any case, most folks seem to love lots of oak in their red wine, so carry on with the love-fest for The Paring. I'm not going to purchase any other vintage of this wine, but if one shows up at a tasting, I'll give it a go.
Paul

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#19 Post by Mike Evans » November 7th, 2017, 2:34 pm

P Intag wrote:
Mike Evans wrote:I posted a note on the 2013 in my Saturday Bordeaux thread, and while it isn't the style I prefer, I didn't find the wood overwhelming and expressed more as caramelized brown sugar than vanilla and it had enough savoriness that I found it perfectly drinkable.
I haven't tried the 2013, so I can't comment on it vs. the 2012. The other notes on the 2012 in CT and Vivino don't make much mention of the oak, but there are many mentions of "dark fruit". I am of the opinion that most of these "dark fruit" comments are really referring to the flavors imparted by the toasted oak, but recognize it as fruit flavors. In any case, most folks seem to love lots of oak in their red wine, so carry on with the love-fest for The Paring. I'm not going to purchase any other vintage of this wine, but if one shows up at a tasting, I'll give it a go.
If you come across the 2013, I'd be interested to see your impressions. It may be that we just react differently to different expressions of oak and you find the 2013 too marked by oak as well. I find that I'm much more tolerant of wood when there is savoriness in the wine to offset it and when it is expressed more in the way of coffee, caramel, and spice than vanilla, coconut, or dill.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#20 Post by John Glas » November 7th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Liked the few Jonota wines I have sampled. Thanks for posting.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

The Paring Red by Jonota

#21 Post by larry schaffer » November 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
P Intag wrote:
If you come across the 2013, I'd be interested to see your impressions. It may be that we just react differently to different expressions of oak and you find the 2013 too marked by oak as well. I find that I'm much more tolerant of wood when there is savoriness in the wine to offset it and when it is expressed more in the way of coffee, caramel, and spice than vanilla, coconut, or dill.
In other words, you don't like American Oak!!!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

The Paring Red by Jonota

#22 Post by Mike Evans » November 7th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Larry, true to a point, though a lot of Spanish wines and Ridge often have enough savoriness that I can get past the American oak. But I've had plenty of undrinkable (to me) vanilla bombs that came from new French oak barrels as well.

Bdklein

The Paring Red by Jonota

#23 Post by Bdklein » November 8th, 2017, 7:05 am

Next release out. $25.00 all bottles. Decent value IMO.
Bruce Klein

G. D y e r

The Paring Red by Jonota

#24 Post by G. D y e r » January 21st, 2018, 10:39 pm

Just had the 2013 . . . .

The California AVA throws me off a bit here. If it's Jonata young vines and seconds, why not SYV or SBC, if not Ballard Canyon? Jonata and the Hilt are not hiding their association with this label, so there's no marketing reason to obscure the AVA to this degree. If they are blending high end Napa fruit, the CA AVA would be required, but that seems unlikely given the price point and overall (very good but not transcendent) quality.

Doing a bit of estimating, Jonata has 84 acres in Ballard Canyon. 84 acres x 3 tons/acre x 60 cases/ton = approx. 15k cases for the property. So between the Jonata line (~5k cases) and The Paring (~9k-10k cases of Red, Syrah and Sauv Blanc), there is theoretically enough fruit in Jonata's SYV vineyard assuming moderate yields--albeit on the higher end for a cult-y producer. That doesn't disagree with a hypothesis of back-blending, either with more heavily cropped, less favored blocks in their estate vineyards or with other sources from (legally) anywhere in CA.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

The Paring Red by Jonota

#25 Post by larry schaffer » January 21st, 2018, 10:56 pm

My guess is that they are blending in some fruit from up north, most likely Bordeaux varieties. And don't forget that they have purchased Sta. Rita Hills vineyards as well . .
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Karl F

Re: The Paring Red by Jonota

#26 Post by Karl F » March 20th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Thought I would revisit this thread as I am sipping on a 2014 Paring now.
I do like this wine and as one of my favorite wine shops in N Jersey got some back in, I grabbed 4 more.
You can't beat 19.99 + NJ tax.
I had a few in my wine fridges but as I was in the area I couldn't resist.
I am hard pressed to say that I can find another red blend that I like better for THAT price.
Bottle King in Hillsborough.
I get some Great buys from this place.
I like the manager who when he notices that I'm there comes out to say hello and talk wine.
Blake is his name.
If you go, tell him I sent you.
He likes my reco's.
Including the Paring.
Got some nice Italian wine there including another one for 19.99 that made this last years top 100 in WS.
They had the 2012 for 19.99 and then got the 13 in for the same price.
Carpineto Vino Nobile di Multepulciano Riserva

But I digress.
This Paring is not bad as it's been a while since I have had it.

Cheers!

Any way, I enjoyed everyone's take on the winemaker and the connections.
Karl Fauser

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Sean_S » March 20th, 2019, 9:24 pm

I've had the pairing a few times and it was good but what was much better for me from Matt was Hilt's old guard. Certainly not a QPR Champion but some tasty juice.
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by JDavisRoby » March 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

I like all of this groups offerings. I’ve found The Paring to be one of the best QPR’s out there if you like that style. One of our most fun parties we’ve hosted at the house involved going thru a case of the 2013 with about 8 people over the course of a couple football games. It played the role of cellar defender very well that day!
Joshu@

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by JeremyMullman » March 22nd, 2019, 6:01 am

Got a chance to taste through the Jonata and Hilt lineups at the Santa Barbara Wine Collective two summers ago and was really impressed.

We were blown away by a 2007 Petit Verdot (Fuerza, I brlieve) and a delicious-if-pricey Sauv Blanc. The Todos syrah blend was also delish.

The Hilt is exclusively Burgundy varietals from SRH, I believe. The pinots were good, comparable in quality to Brewer-Clifton wines we had at the sane sitting.

The Paring was described as a second wine of sorts to both brands.

Karl F

#30 Post by Karl F » March 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm

It seems to get good marks across the board from most folks.
Great QPR

I wonder how this Theorize 2015 cab I just got at LB is going to be??
Arrived today.
Maybe try one this weekend.
Karl Fauser

rsmithjr

#31 Post by rsmithjr » April 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

Karl F wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm
It seems to get good marks across the board from most folks.
Great QPR

I wonder how this Theorize 2015 cab I just got at LB is going to be??
Arrived today.
Maybe try one this weekend.
Let us know!!!! Just ordered 4...
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant'

Viet Ly
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Viet Ly » April 17th, 2019, 10:05 am

Karl F wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Got some nice Italian wine there including another one for 19.99 that made this last years top 100 in WS.
They had the 2012 for 19.99 and then got the 13 in for the same price.
Carpineto Vino Nobile di Multepulciano Riserva
I drank the 2010 Carpineto Vino Nobile Riserva on Sunday, and really enjoyed it (esp for the price).

I have a bottle of 2014 The Paring as a club wine through Wine Lab (Costa Mesa), so thanks for the notes/starting this thread.

Return to “Wine Talk”