Book Review: Chianti & Wines of Tuscany (Rosemary George, 1991)

Book Review: Chianti & Wines of Tuscany by Rosemary George

Having enjoyed Ms. George’s book on the French country wines, I picked up a copy of her Tuscan analogous book, and slowly chewed my way through it, a chapter or so at a time, often with a goblet of red. (I think I started reading this in the winter, so it took a while…)

In summary, I enjoyed and recommend it.

Observations

It’s a very old book, published in 1991, but really developed over the prior ten years (to publishing date) if one ties back all the visits and tasting notes of vintages. Tasting notes are given for many wines, but that is not the main thrust of the book.

The author is a MW and has exhaustive knowledge of vineyards, techniques, geology and so forth. There’s great historical detail, and some funny anecdotes shared, but happily its really about wine, and all the nuances of the Tuscan region.

True to its title, Chianti is the main focus, perhaps taking up 60% of the book, and it dives into all the sub regions like Rufina and Classico etc. It may not reflect how the DOCG works now but it gives a good overview of the history, which explains why so many of the better producers left it, to make their own wine, free from regulatory meddling.

The book also covers Brunello, Bolgheri, Vino Nobile de M, and other regions close by as well as types like Vin Santo and a few whites. Coverage is pretty good of that, especially for the time it was published. There is even some mention of the 85 Sassicaia, apparently winning acclaim as young wine already.

Minor quibble: The format of the book is sort of coffee table in sizing, but its not a picture book, and reading a tome like book of written content in that shape is a little vexing. There are some pictures so I guess that’s why they did it that way. I’d rather they had line drawings, and more maps, and stuck to a smaller format. It needs to be read on a table, rather than in an armchair.

There is plenty of supporting material - historical production tables, glossaries, definitions. It’s a useful reference if you keep wine related books around.

It would be nice if books like these could get freshened up with another author, or an addendum, as it really seems like a high quality standard for the area.

The book can be had for a song on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Chianti-Wines-Tuscany-Rosemary-George/dp/085667379X