What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Goodfellow/Matello are you drinking?

#301 Post by Bob Hughes » May 29th, 2019, 4:05 am

So after reading the description for the new Dundee Hills Chardonnay, what is the difference between it and the Durant bottling?

Rich, I haven't tried any of my '16 Pinots yet, so thanks for notes.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#302 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 2nd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:05 am
So after reading the description for the new Dundee Hills Chardonnay, what is the difference between it and the Durant bottling?

Rich, I haven't tried any of my '16 Pinots yet, so thanks for notes.
Hi Bob,

In 2017 during harvest Paul Durant offered me an additional block for Chardonnay. The blocks I use for the Durant bottling are at the foot of the hill just before it flattens out to valley floor. It’s a cooler spot as the hill shades it earlier and the inversion of cool air pooling at the bottom of the slope, and the single vineyard has a nice balance of smoke, orchard fruit, and good mineral cut.
The new block is mid slope, east facing, and gets the direct warmth of the morning sun, it’s a spot that ripens quickly, and the fruit from 2017 shows good balance but more golden tones, some tropical fruit, moderate acidity(comparatively), and a savory echo from good skin thickness in 2017. It, most definitely, is a “kinder, gentler Goodfellow” chardonnay. Although 2017 is such a dynamite vintage that even the mineral cut of the Whistling Ridge fruit is matched with some truly beautiful aromatics, and textural finesse.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Doug Uno

#303 Post by Doug Uno » June 6th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Helped Marcus bottle his 2017 Pinot Noirs yesterday including the Berserker cuvée . Not sure when these wines will be available for sale, but I’m excited about these wines. Being from a cooler vintage after a string of warmer years , these are wines that will be classic Oregon with Marcus’s stylistic touch. I’m planning on going along on the vintage.

While I was there, I picked up a bottle of the 2018 Riesling, bone dry from the Whistling Ridge vineyard 12.3% alc.

Day 1: an aromatic nose, with a hint of honey, smoke, and spice with the promise of fresh apples; on the palate, good acidity like biting into a fresh ripe green pippin apple; some fine tannins on the tongue and a refreshing splash of acid and spice on the finish. A well-balanced wine from start to finish that you could easily drink on a hot summer day.

Day 2: The fruit blossoms and intensifies while maintaining its balance and acidity. I think the wine great aging potential if you can resist drinking it now.
Attachments
4E11822B-6BB8-4E42-8AF1-6DA81F16800A.jpeg
Last edited by Doug Uno on June 8th, 2019, 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#304 Post by Sean_S » June 7th, 2019, 12:27 am

Marcus when can we get some?
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Scott Tallman

#305 Post by Scott Tallman » June 7th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Sean_S wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:27 am
Marcus when can we get some?
+1
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Doug Uno

#306 Post by Doug Uno » June 10th, 2019, 7:30 pm

The 2010 Souris was worth the wait!

When I opened the wine, the aromatics were an intoxicating mix of red raspberries, black tea, spice, and a hint of smoke. The palate was a mixture of the red fruit and black tea that blossomed with some air. I associate the red fruit with the Durant Pommard, and I’m wondering if the black tea flavors could be attributed to the whole cluster. The finish was long and smooth with some fine tannins on the finish which tells me this could age. I’m glad I have several more bottles of this wine!

By the way, the Riesling is still fresh and going strong. On day four I picked up a hint of grapefruit and on day five a hint a pear.
Attachments
225EBC99-7006-4149-BA07-8D03F4AD9E0F.jpeg

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Sean_S » June 12th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Love the Souris.... Sad I only have a few left...
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Jon A-K

#308 Post by Jon A-K » June 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm

• 2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (6/12/2019)
    P&p; drinking well right away, and quite interesting, with an herbaceous, leafy, rooty, earthy, slightly spicy, amaro-like aromatic character. This comes through on the palate as well, along with understated, cool, crunchy, juicy, tart cherry, with excellent acidity, and an appetizing streak of bitterness. Fun, characterful, moreish wine. Seems like drink or hold. Could easily pound the bottle right now, but saving some for tomorrow to see how it changes.

Day 2: Somewhat smoother and fruitier, while hanging onto its fun amaro-like character. About equally good on both days, but glad I saved some because now I get to drink it again!
Posted from CellarTracker
Jѻn Adαm$-КαnƐ
CT: BƐƐrzebub

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Bob Hughes » June 14th, 2019, 8:18 am

For those who subscribe to Vinous, Josh Raynolds just reviewed all of Marcus' 2015 and 2016 SVD Pinots (including the Heritage selections) and all the wines were rated from 92 to 94 points - pretty impressive consistency across multiple vineyards, IMO. [cheers.gif]

Scott Tallman

#310 Post by Scott Tallman » June 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm

For the debates tonight, opened the 2012 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay (n/k/a Richard’s Cuvee) and the 2013 Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay. My last bottle of 2012 and my first of four bottles of the 2013. Opened both about an hour before drinking.

The 2012 did not have the matchstick note that many have come to expect from this wine as Marcus started his reductive winemaking with the 2013. The nose was not terribly expressive, but the wine was crazy expressive in the mouth (medium+ body) with great acid and a long, long finish.

Conversely, the 2013 had an amazing nose with the matchstick (althoughnot as pronounced as 2014 and 2015) and sea breeze. The palate was more chiseled with nice minerality, but shorter finish.

Overall, preferred the 2012 and wish I had a few more bottles as this wine has years ahead of it. I believe the 2013 has another gear or two and will hold off on opening the next bottle for at least six months.

Whistling Ridge is a very special Vineyard and Marcus is killing this bottling year in, year out. A singular version of Willamette Valley Chardonnay.
CT - WestbyGod

Rory K.

#311 Post by Rory K. » June 27th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm
For the debates tonight, opened the 2012 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay (n/k/a Richard’s Cuvee) and the 2013 Richard’s Cuvee Chardonnay. My last bottle of 2012 and my first of four bottles of the 2013. Opened both about an hour before drinking.

The 2012 did not have the matchstick note that many have come to expect from this wine as Marcus started his reductive winemaking with the 2013. The nose was not terribly expressive, but the wine was crazy expressive in the mouth (medium+ body) with great acid and a long, long finish.

Conversely, the 2013 had an amazing nose with the matchstick (althoughnot as pronounced as 2014 and 2015) and sea breeze. The palate was more chiseled with nice minerality, but shorter finish.

Overall, preferred the 2012 and wish I had a few more bottles as this wine has years ahead of it. I believe the 2013 has another gear or two and will hold off on opening the next bottle for at least six months.

Whistling Ridge is a very special Vineyard and Marcus is killing this bottling year in, year out. A singular version of Willamette Valley Chardonnay.
Sounds great, I just ordered a mix case of the latest Chardonnays over the weekend I'm looking forward to when I finally get my hands on it!
K i n n e a r

ITB

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#312 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » June 28th, 2019, 8:49 am

Scott, it’s great to hear that the 2012 is in a good spot. We’re pouring it at a Whistling Ridge dinner on the 3rd of July, and I’m excited to see it myself. It was such a short vintage for production that I don’t have much.
Winemaker & Owner

rfelthoven

#313 Post by rfelthoven » June 29th, 2019, 1:11 pm

For the record, the 2012 Souris is in a great spot after about an hour. The 2013 Goodfellow WV Pinot is also in an open window. So much more savory, refined and energetic than many other winemakers’ products.
Ron

Alan Gottlieb

#314 Post by Alan Gottlieb » June 29th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Agree about the 2012 Souris. Had this a few mos ago and compared to a few years ago really starting to open up Terrific wine

Scott Tallman

#315 Post by Scott Tallman » June 29th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 8:49 am
Scott, it’s great to hear that the 2012 is in a good spot. We’re pouring it at a Whistling Ridge dinner on the 3rd of July, and I’m excited to see it myself. It was such a short vintage for production that I don’t have much.
2012 was still doing well on 3rd night (just finished it). The 2013 filled out a bit and is very nice, but still not on par with the 2012 IMO.

I think your dinner attendees will be really happy with the 2012.
CT - WestbyGod

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#316 Post by Bob Hughes » June 29th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Had a 2014 Durant Chardonnay tonight with dinner - IMO, drinking very well right now, with no end in sight. It does still have a marked reductive note on the nose - nothing that gave me trouble, but my wife preferred the '15 Chidaine Bournais.

Corey N.

#317 Post by Corey N. » July 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm

So I happened to see Marcus on Sunday. I'm pretty sure that he didn't see me, at least not until it was too late and I had already taken his wine. I laughed, he cried, a good time was had by all, but not by Marcus. I have that effect on people.

We opened up 19(!) wines on Sunday, so these notes are from yesterday, when I had a chance to revisit some bottles. This also means the wines had been open 48 hours.
  • 2008 Matello Fool's Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (7/16/2019)
    No visual signs of age. Complex nose of red fruits, black pepper and white flowers.

Of course this isn’t the Northern Rhône, it’s Oregon. Yet this wine is clearly an homage to France and of served blind it would fool many an unsuspecting taster. Red fruits with an abundance of black pepper and flowers on the palate. Medium bodied with a good acidic lift. A great effort from Mr. Goodfellow. Drink now - 2025+.

From magnum. 13.8% abv. 83% Syrah and 17% Viognier.
  • 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (7/16/2019)
    Interesting nose of lemon curd with white floral and tropical notes. Quite beguiling.

The palate is on the lighter end of the spectrum, with lemon curd, minerals and the barest hint of tropical notes on the medium+ finish. Bone dry with an acidic spine and a lithe texture. Easy drinking and flat out delicious.
Posted from CellarTracker

A bit OT, I told Marcus I'd had the 2008 Syrah previously, but I was thinking of Biggio-Hamina, though I have had and liked other renditions of Marcus' Syrah.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#318 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 18th, 2019, 5:26 am

Lol...I had a great time. And some very special wines as well. The 09 Pichler was delicious, the 83 Shuerebe was a unique and delicious experience for me. Add in 83 and 01 La Chapelle Hermitage, 01 La Landonne from Rostaing(thank you Doug Sher) plus another excellent Riesling, great conversation, meeting some really lovely people, all topped off with some pretty extraordinary food...dinner at chez Novick is the best Monday night in Chicago that exists. The foie gras was a highlight.
Winemaker & Owner

rfelthoven

#319 Post by rfelthoven » July 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Opened a 2015 and 2016 Richard's Chard the other night side by side. Both are drinking really well but to me the 2016 was the better wine -- probably one of the best Oregon chards I've ever tasted. Gorgeous fruit and white flowers wrap around an acidic core with just a hint of wood showing. The 2015 has a bit less complexity and more prominent gun powder note that's not present to any real degree in the 2016 (which I found a bit distracting in 2013, 2014, and 2015). The purity and complexity of the 2016 is really stunning. Worth seeking out.
Ron

Scott Tallman

#320 Post by Scott Tallman » July 19th, 2019, 10:38 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm
Opened a 2015 and 2016 Richard's Chard the other night side by side. Both are drinking really well but to me the 2016 was the better wine -- probably one of the best Oregon chards I've ever tasted. Gorgeous fruit and white flowers wrap around an acidic core with just a hint of wood showing. The 2015 has a bit less complexity and more prominent gun powder note that's not present to any real degree in the 2016 (which I found a bit distracting in 2013, 2014, and 2015). The purity and complexity of the 2016 is really stunning. Worth seeking out.
Yeah, I tried to forego purchasing any ‘16s. Then I tasted Marcus’ lineup and bought two cases, including some of the Chard, which is awesome. All the ‘16s were compelling. I need to stay out of Oregon...
CT - WestbyGod

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by Bob Hughes » July 20th, 2019, 6:21 am

Yeah, I've posted three separate TNs on the '16 Richard's, the last one about two weeks ago where I described it as " pure Chardonnay deliciousness".

The only problem will be keeping my hands off of it!

Brandon R

#322 Post by Brandon R » August 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

I have to say (first time posting on this thread) that a very delicious sounding review just landed for the 2017 Biggio Hamina Rose Pinot Noir Ella Claygate Vineyard! Sounds positively tasty:

"Deep bright-hued orange. Potent red berry, blood orange, rose pastille and exotic spice qualities on the deeply perfumed nose. Chewy and focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry, red currant and strawberry preserve flavors that tighten up steadily on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and floral-dominated persistence on the chewy finish, which is underscored by a spicy touch of white pepper. This is a distinctly hefty take on pink Pinot Noir, but there's plenty of energy to it as well, making it a highly flexible choice at the table." 92 points (Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media)

I doubt there's much of it. I don't often see single vineyard roses, especially Stateside. What makes this site so great for rose?
B. Redman

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#323 Post by Dave McIsaac » August 15th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Brandon R wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 11:45 am
I have to say (first time posting on this thread) that a very delicious sounding review just landed for the 2017 Biggio Hamina Rose Pinot Noir Ella Claygate Vineyard! Sounds positively tasty:

"Deep bright-hued orange. Potent red berry, blood orange, rose pastille and exotic spice qualities on the deeply perfumed nose. Chewy and focused on the palate, offering bitter cherry, red currant and strawberry preserve flavors that tighten up steadily on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and floral-dominated persistence on the chewy finish, which is underscored by a spicy touch of white pepper. This is a distinctly hefty take on pink Pinot Noir, but there's plenty of energy to it as well, making it a highly flexible choice at the table." 92 points (Josh Raynolds, Vinous Media)

I doubt there's much of it. I don't often see single vineyard roses, especially Stateside. What makes this site so great for rose?
I think I have ripped through my BD 6 pack of this - very enjoyable

I may have to go a little curmudgeon on you for posting this in the Goodfellow/Matello thread...... grouphug [wink.gif]

Brandon R

#324 Post by Brandon R » August 15th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Dave McIsaac wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Brandon R wrote:

I think I have ripped through my BD 6 pack of this - very enjoyable

I may have to go a little curmudgeon on you for posting this in the Goodfellow/Matello thread...... grouphug [wink.gif]
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know...I don't believe there is a dedicated Biggio Hamina thread though!
B. Redman

Scott Tallman

#325 Post by Scott Tallman » August 15th, 2019, 2:02 pm

So start one? [snort.gif] It will force me to open some of my older bottles of B-H.
CT - WestbyGod

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#326 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 15th, 2019, 8:57 pm

There’s always room here for Todd here, but a B-H thread would be cool.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#327 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 15th, 2019, 8:58 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 1:05 pm
You will like the 2017 too(at least that’s my guess).
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#328 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 15th, 2019, 9:00 pm

PSA-it feels like the 2015s are starting to shut down a bit. The vintage has enough fruit to have a presence now, but some bottles are closing up.
Winemaker & Owner

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#329 Post by Todd Hamina » August 15th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 8:57 pm
There’s always room here for Todd here, but a B-H thread would be cool.
I almost feel bad that I told you to mange merde mon frère...
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#330 Post by Todd Hamina » August 16th, 2019, 7:16 am

Brandon R wrote:

Brandon, it's just a terrific site. The owners of the vineyard wanted a nice little pink wine. Since we share crop I got half and named it for our late niece, and a portion of the sale went to her special needs school.

Claygate vineyard is in the Ribbon Ridge AVA.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Brandon R

#331 Post by Brandon R » August 16th, 2019, 9:46 am

Very cool Todd, thanks.
B. Redman

Rory K.

#332 Post by Rory K. » August 20th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 9:00 pm
PSA-it feels like the 2015s are starting to shut down a bit. The vintage has enough fruit to have a presence now, but some bottles are closing up.
Thanks for the PSA! I just drank a 2015 Whistling Ridge Pinot of yours. Still plenty of fruit in this bottle, a tad hesitant on the nose, but all the right notes are there and I'm loving it. Look forward to the next one some years down the road.
K i n n e a r

ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”