What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#301 Post by Jud Reis » January 16th, 2020, 10:12 am

Randy - don’t have a smoking room and not much fun to sit and shiver with a cigar in a NE winter. Keep posting - living vicariously through your posts.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Randy Bowman » January 17th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Today's pick, a 2016 God of Fire Serie B. Starts out smooth with leather and coffee notes. Burned uneven at first requiring some touch up. The first third was dominated by leather and coffee with hints of black fruit and a finish of pepper. Ash is dense and stayed on through the first third. The cigar is medium in strength. In the second third I no longer get fruit notes and some nuttiness is replacing the leather. Coffee notes remain as does a final note of pepper. Some leather notes return near the end. Not a complex array of flavors but I think the cigar was intended to be the same end to end. Pricey here in CA.
20200117_154907.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#303 Post by Randy Bowman » January 18th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Partagas Black Clasico with the new label. Gambled on starting early and paid the price. I cut the cigar and the wrapper started to come off from the cut down to the label. Guess I'll leave the label on most of the way. Starts out earthy with a bite, settles within ten minutes and espresso dominates with a little pepper. The burn is uneven and continues somewhat uneven after touching it up. I put the cigar down for about 15 minutes to help Carrie with a short rush of customers. Re lit the cigar and now it is burning evenly. The ash is heavy so I ash at about one inch. The flavors continue with espresso, hints of dark chocolate and even vanilla. Holding the wrapper in place for the second third after removing the label, a little work but worth it. The final third was smooth with more dark chocolate notes. Tasty.
20200118_142328.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

GregP

#304 Post by GregP » January 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Smoked a few different Diesels over the past 3 days, on D right now as I type. Not much different than others so far, woodsy, peppery flavors with not much else. Smoked blind, side by side, I can' see how one differentiates one from another, same (dull) flavor profile, some sugar notes added in depending on wrapper, but that's about it. None so far, over a dozen years, struck me as anything other than a "walk the dog" stick.

It will be a balmy 66F tomorrow, so will try something else, for a change of pace, and, hopefully, enjoyment.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Jason Hagen

#305 Post by Jason Hagen » January 18th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Bummer. I loved the Unholy Cocktail at $3.85. I thought it smoked way above its grade.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#306 Post by Jason Hagen » January 18th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Padron 1926 Not much to be said here. An amazing cigar. But generally out of my price range.

Guardian of the Farm Claude Le Chien A collaboration with Warped. I think this is a Small Batch exclusive. A wonderful, complex cigar. Great burn with rich and fruity flavors.

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1590.jpeg
IMG_1586.jpeg

GregP

#307 Post by GregP » January 18th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Bummer. I loved the Unholy Cocktail at $3.85. I thought it smoked way above its grade.

Jason
I suspect that as he keeps on expanding the offerings his access to really great tobacco is in the tail spin. And he's not alone, I see same issues with Drew Estate. His inaugural run of Liga Privada was a serious offering, but as soon as he expanded that taste/flavors dived. And since he sold the business and they ramped up, a la The Prisoner, there is no way one can keep on buying same quality tobacco leaf in way larger quantities, exponentially so. There are others whose offerings stagnated, IMO, due to same reasons.

That Cubao I mentioned before, from the get go it had an old school Cuban profile (pre 1998 wholesale replant and move away from Corojo), and his latest is still featuring same very nuanced and complex flavors. Consistency. I have maybe 2+ boxes of various original Ligas and Tatuajes left, as I slowly depleted both, and I am now concerned that I may be facing same issues with newer blends consisting of different tobacco fields. Need to buy a few of each now and see where things stand.

Maybe an Epernay tomorrow, weather should be good.

Jason Hagen

#308 Post by Jason Hagen » January 19th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Is this the cigar you are talking about? https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/o ... s/2024234/

J

GregP

#309 Post by GregP » January 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Yes, just got more. Go to cigarbid free fall, see if they still have them on offer, search for Ortega Cubao their search engine is stupid and simply doing Cubao does not find any,. Last boxes I ordered I bought at under $30, they are the best QPR offering,, by far, out there these days. Along with DPG Black Label, see if they have DPG Black Label, they usually do and you should find them at $40 or so. You won't be sorry if you trust my palate.

Or I can bring you some when I am in the area for Falltacular.

Having a Diesel D in natural wrapper right now. Dry air in Vegas is not friendly to thin natural wrappers, it splits like crazy. Though flavors are better than other Diesels in the past week, so at least some enjoyment. More nuance, some complexity, nutty notes, not sugary as their usual maduros.

Jason Hagen

#310 Post by Jason Hagen » January 19th, 2020, 3:36 pm

GregP wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Maybe an Epernay tomorrow, weather should be good.
I have enjoyed the few Epernays I have had.

Jason

GregP

#311 Post by GregP » January 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm

One I forgot is Curivari Buenaventura line, another one that's flying under the radar in some respect. Highly recommended.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by Randy Bowman » January 19th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Old dependable for the 9er game, Padron 2000 Maduro.
20200119_160338.jpg

Jason Hagen

#313 Post by Jason Hagen » January 21st, 2020, 10:02 pm

I've had a few weeks off but tomorrow I will be lighting something up and finishing up a book.

Jason

GregP

#314 Post by GregP » January 21st, 2020, 10:57 pm

Hoping that "lighting something up and finishing up a book" are not one and same :-)

Jason Hagen

#315 Post by Jason Hagen » January 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm

This is a pretty great deal and free shipping. I've never had the cigar but grabbed the 10 pack for $40, all in. If nothing else it is a cigar I can share with folks. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/joecigar

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#316 Post by Randy Bowman » January 22nd, 2020, 8:35 pm

I have a friend who does "pen turning" with cigar bands so I'm always collecting bands. I don't have the best pics here on my laptop but here's a couple examples:
padronpen.jpg
opusxpen.jpg

Jason Hagen

#317 Post by Jason Hagen » January 22nd, 2020, 8:46 pm

Those are cool. How can you get them? Does he do pencils? Being a southpaw, I often use pencils because ink smears.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#318 Post by Randy Bowman » January 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm

I'm saving bands and plan on shipping them to her soon. This all started with "if I make these pens would you be interested in selling them? Well, hell yeah. The pens are roller ball, which have been solid for me even though we probably won't be writing with the pens that much. She does a variety of other genre.

Jason Hagen

#319 Post by Jason Hagen » January 22nd, 2020, 8:58 pm

This afternoon I sat outside while reading and had a, Man O' War Virtue that had been sitting in the humi for 6 or 7 years. It might have dried out a little bit. The burn and aroma were great but the flavors were a little boring. Not much nuance. Mainly woody with a like of spice and fruit. B-

Jason
Attachments
Man O War.jpeg

GregP

#320 Post by GregP » January 22nd, 2020, 10:17 pm

I've yet to smoke one Fernandez stick that made me buy by the box. Virtue, when young, are OK, but about that and nothing more. Better to my palate than any Diesel, but still. Have no idea what all the industry hoopla is all about.

Jason Hagen

#321 Post by Jason Hagen » January 22nd, 2020, 11:42 pm

I thought the Virtue was terrific when young but I still had a few in the humidor and hoped for better things. I have only had a few other Fernandez cigars and have enjoyed the Diesels but I will be smoking them young. Industry hoopla, we all know that well when it comes to wine. [wow.gif]

I got my Diesels on a really great deal and had never tried one so I took a flier on them. I enjoy the Unholy Cocktail a lot. I'll try something different next week.

Next up is a Camacho Ecuador that was given to me or a CAO Brazil, which was also a gift [cheers.gif]

Jason

Jason Hagen

#322 Post by Jason Hagen » January 22nd, 2020, 11:48 pm

[dontknow.gif]

I have a question about 2 cigars that I have never had. I generally just skip over them for that reason.

5 Vegas

And...

Ave Maria

Any thoughts or opinions?

TIA

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Randy Bowman » January 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

I've been trying to get the Ave Maria but they are always on back order, (sold to top ten retailers is my guess), but I see Thompson has them in stock. I have a number of customers asking for them, having tried them before and loved them.

Speaking of cigars made at A J Fernandez's factory, the Bellas Artes Maduros arrived today. Beautiful looking stick. Cold draw was coffee beans and leather. A little uneven burn which is unusual for a box pressed cigar, it was probably the way I lit it. The cigar settles pretty quick after lighting it. Espresso with notes of dark chocolate, leather and hints of sweet dark fruit. Full body for an inch and then smokes around medium with full flavors. Slow burning wow cigar. Tastes as good as it looks.
20200123_135830.jpg

Jason Hagen

#324 Post by Jason Hagen » January 23rd, 2020, 5:27 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm
I've been trying to get the Ave Maria but they are always on back order, (sold to top ten retailers is my guess), but I see Thompson has them in stock. I have a number of customers asking for them, having tried them before and loved them.

Good to hear a positive thing. I grabbed a 10 pack of Ave Maria Argentum Robustos for $35 and free shipping from CI. I figured it was worth giving them a try at that price.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#325 Post by Jason Hagen » January 23rd, 2020, 5:33 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:25 pm

Speaking of cigars made at A J Fernandez's factory, the Bellas Artes Maduros arrived today. Beautiful looking stick. Cold draw was coffee beans and leather. A little uneven burn which is unusual for a box pressed cigar, it was probably the way I lit it. The cigar settles pretty quick after lighting it. Espresso with notes of dark chocolate, leather and hints of sweet dark fruit. Full body for an inch and then smokes around medium with full flavors. Slow burning wow cigar. Tastes as good as it looks.
The A J debate shall continue. I need to try some more, which I have in the humidor, before forming an opinion. It is amazing how often I buy a random cigar and it is connected to A J. That Bellas Artes sounds nice.

Jason

GregP

#326 Post by GregP » January 23rd, 2020, 9:35 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 11:48 pm
[dontknow.gif]

I have a question about 2 cigars that I have never had. I generally just skip over them for that reason.

5 Vegas

And...

Ave Maria

Any thoughts or opinions?

TIA

Jason
5 Vegas is really a Cigars International line. Daily sticks, at best. DPG's daughter even made an attempt at adding to the line, called Miami, and it turned out to be an utter disaster, by all accounts.

Ave Marias are solid sticks, in all respects, though I buy natural wrappers only.

Try those Curivaris and Cubaos.

Jason Hagen

#327 Post by Jason Hagen » January 23rd, 2020, 10:09 pm

GregP wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 9:35 pm

5 Vegas is really a Cigars International line. Daily sticks, at best. DPG's daughter even made an attempt at adding to the line, called Miami, and it turned out to be an utter disaster, by all accounts.

Ave Marias are solid sticks, in all respects, though I buy natural wrappers only.

Try those Curivaris and Cubaos.
Good to know about the 5 Vegas. I remember seeing Miami as well.

I just realized Ave Marias are another AJ Fernandez product.

Still tracking down the Cubaos and have some bids at Cigar Bid but the price seems fine at CI so I might just do that. I'll check the Curvivaris.

Peace,

Jason

Jason Hagen

#328 Post by Jason Hagen » January 23rd, 2020, 10:12 pm

Is there a particular Curivaris you like?

J

Jason Hagen

#329 Post by Jason Hagen » January 23rd, 2020, 10:28 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:09 pm

I just realized Ave Marias are another AJ Fernandez product.

Oh maybe not.

J

GregP

#330 Post by GregP » January 23rd, 2020, 11:23 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 10:12 pm
Is there a particular Curivaris you like?

J
Buena Ventura 560 Gordo.

I only buy Ave Maria Immaculata, in natural wrapper. I think this one is not made at Fernandez's place, some more recent lines, in Maduro, probably are.

Jason Hagen

#331 Post by Jason Hagen » January 24th, 2020, 1:37 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm
I'm saving bands and plan on shipping them to her soon. This all started with "if I make these pens would you be interested in selling them? Well, hell yeah. The pens are roller ball, which have been solid for me even though we probably won't be writing with the pens that much. She does a variety of other genre.
Does she have a website or do they go through you? These would be a nice gift for some friends and I'd be interested as well.

J

Jason Hagen

#332 Post by Jason Hagen » January 24th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Camacho Ecuador Bought in 2019 (A gift from a friend)

I have never even thought about buying a Camacho cigar but my friend told me this was very enjoyable and he was correct. Great looking cigar. The draw is easy but I did have some burn issues. It did canoe a few times but then would even out. I wonder if this slightly over humidified. Long story but it spent some uneven time in a Herf-a-Dor that didn't have a hygrometer inside although I was using Bovedas. Peppery and woody at first but then developed chocolate and light fruit. About a third of the way through there was some burn on the tongue but that went away. About a 90 minute smoke. B+

Cheers,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1640.jpeg

GregP

#333 Post by GregP » January 25th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Original Camachos were a revelation when they showed up. When Cuba decided to stop use of Corojo and Criollo, and especially Corojo, Camacho was the first one to obtain seeds from them. I was blown away when I tried it back in 2001, it was a new label to me, and to most, and Camacho Corojo was spectacular. Now, of course, many use it. Camacho sold the label after making the splash, and products, although good to very good, never achieved that flavor profile since. Corojo, along with Cameroon, are still my favorite wrappers across many producers.

Cuba built its rep for cigars via Criollo and Corojo, from about mid '30s. Corojo is difficult to grow and does not allow mistakes (Pinot Noir and Grenache, anyone?), so they decided to go the easy route and came up with a hybrid, Habano, which was easy to grow, but with way less flavor and nuance. While also almost tripling the production in one year, quality suffered for many years. The "wholesale replant" took place in 1998, and the last year I bought any. Rest of the industry benefited, greatly IMO, no one more so than Camacho.

Having another Diesel, weather is nice, but still nothing compels me to buy any more after I am done with the remaining stash.

Jason Hagen

#334 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 3:17 pm

CAO Brazilia - A gift from Greg P.

Another beautiful day in paradise and this stick was killing it today. At the start the draw was easy but there wasn't much smoke but that quickly changed. Nice even burn. Very tasty. Nice spice. Full flavors but not big and overly powerful. I also loved that it never had any burn on my tongue. Right to the finish. The last one I had was right before I went into rehab back in May. Those 8 months have done a lot for this cigar. About a 70 minute smoke - A

Again, thanks Greg!

Peace,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1659.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#335 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 3:19 pm

GregP wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Original Camachos were a revelation when they showed up. When Cuba decided to stop use of Corojo and Criollo, and especially Corojo, Camacho was the first one to obtain seeds from them. I was blown away when I tried it back in 2001, it was a new label to me, and to most, and Camacho Corojo was spectacular. Now, of course, many use it. Camacho sold the label after making the splash, and products, although good to very good, never achieved that flavor profile since. Corojo, along with Cameroon, are still my favorite wrappers across many producers.

Cuba built its rep for cigars via Criollo and Corojo, from about mid '30s. Corojo is difficult to grow and does not allow mistakes (Pinot Noir and Grenache, anyone?), so they decided to go the easy route and came up with a hybrid, Habano, which was easy to grow, but with way less flavor and nuance. While also almost tripling the production in one year, quality suffered for many years. The "wholesale replant" took place in 1998, and the last year I bought any. Rest of the industry benefited, greatly IMO, no one more so than Camacho.

Having another Diesel, weather is nice, but still nothing compels me to buy any more after I am done with the remaining stash.
Good info. Thanks. And what Diesel did you have?

J

Steve Crawford

#336 Post by Steve Crawford » January 25th, 2020, 4:34 pm

picked this up as my birthday is next week, i wish i wrote down which specific 1926 it is.
im a relative cigar novice but generally have liked all the padrons ive had, very consistent
B52880FC-8C04-4EA6-A38E-46C46CB60236.jpeg
edit now smoking it: silly good. i think i paid around $25ish. certainly not A daily smoker but well worth it for special occassion. even burn, a+

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#337 Post by Randy Bowman » January 25th, 2020, 6:05 pm

God Of Fire Anniversario 2016. About 60 ring and expensive. Made by Arturo Fuente for GOF. Nutty abounds in the first third, with some pepper. Ash stayed on through the first third. The cigar settles in before the second third and is creamy smooth nut flavors accented by leather, a little white pepper and berries. Classified as medium body, the ring size and creamy flavors make it smoke lighter than medium. The flavors described are unchanged through the second third. Some spice, cinnamon like, is introduced in the final third and remain to the end. Good smoke.
20200125_173554.jpg
Last edited by Randy Bowman on January 25th, 2020, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Crawford

#338 Post by Steve Crawford » January 25th, 2020, 6:19 pm

randy- what are you going to go with for your niners in the SB next week, something special?

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#339 Post by Randy Bowman » January 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 6:19 pm
randy- what are you going to go with for your niners in the SB next week, something special?
That Bellas Artes I had the other day is calling my name. I was planning on a Padron 1964 Maduro or Cohiba Red Dot Toro before trying that Bellas Artes.

GregP

#340 Post by GregP » January 25th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Good info. Thanks. And what Diesel did you have?

J
Just pulled one at random today, happened to be Diesel (Original) Robusto: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... s/1466870/

Better than one about a week ago, was good enough to puff on while checking out EPL scores and news. But, as I said, before, nothing to make me go and buy more. Ash would not hold much beyond an inch, so a question on construction as well.

We're staying at Crowne Plaza (South Coast) for Falltacular. Was told I can smoke at their ground floor patio area, it seems very nice, and if you feel game we can light up and I'll bring some sticks for you to try, something nicely aged. I know you do not imbibe, but I'll open a bottle or two as well, or maybe bring some good Bourbon, and relax from the frenzy that is Falltacular :-) Just saying I'll be there, smoking, your call either way :-)

Jason Hagen

#341 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 8:07 pm

GregP wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Just pulled one at random today, happened to be Diesel (Original) Robusto: https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/d ... s/1466870/

We're staying at Crowne Plaza (South Coast) for Falltacular. Was told I can smoke at their ground floor patio area, it seems very nice, and if you feel game we can light up and I'll bring some sticks for you to try, something nicely aged. I know you do not imbibe, but I'll open a bottle or two as well, or maybe bring some good Bourbon, and relax from the frenzy that is Falltacular :-) Just saying I'll be there, smoking, your call either way :-)
I will join you. What day would that be?

Jason

Jason Hagen

#342 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 8:17 pm

And you be happy to hear that I just won 5 Ortega Cubao Toros for $11.50. I am working on some Robustos but they are a few days away.

J

Jason Hagen

#343 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 4:34 pm
picked this up as my birthday is next week, i wish i wrote down which specific 1926 it is.
im a relative cigar novice but generally have liked all the padrons ive had, very consistentB52880FC-8C04-4EA6-A38E-46C46CB60236.jpeg

edit now smoking it: silly good. i think i paid around $25ish. certainly not A daily smoker but well worth it for special occassion. even burn, a+
That is a mighty fine cigar!

Jason

GregP

#344 Post by GregP » January 25th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 8:17 pm
And you be happy to hear that I just won 5 Ortega Cubao Toros for $11.50. I am working on some Robustos but they are a few days away.

J
I am sure you'll be happy with them, especially at that incredible price.

We'll be driving down on Friday, Feb 21st. I'll ping you before then.
Last edited by GregP on January 25th, 2020, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Hagen

#345 Post by Jason Hagen » January 25th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm
Cohiba Red Dot Toro before trying that Bellas Artes.
How is the Red Dot?

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by Randy Bowman » January 26th, 2020, 5:05 pm

The best way to describe the Red Dot is it it so good I smoke it until the toothpick catches fire or lips blister.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#347 Post by Randy Bowman » January 26th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Chose an Alec Bradley Magic Toast because it has a nice big band for pen turning and it is a Maduro. Nice looking well made cigar. As expected, the cigar quickly produces coffee and dark chocolate flavors. As it progresses through the first third some sweetness is added ranging in hints of molasses, berries and even sweet orange, countered by light pepper notes. It is smoking at medium in strength, ash an inch long and even. Leather is appearing as I approach the second third. At the half way mark the primary flavors are leather and pepper with subtle notes of coffee and molasses. The cigar is becoming stronger as I reach the final third and flavors remain the same, losing the complexity of the first half of the stick.
20200126_165911.jpg

Jason Hagen

#348 Post by Jason Hagen » January 27th, 2020, 8:45 am

Jason Hagen wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 1:37 am
Randy Bowman wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm
Does she have a website or do they go through you? These would be a nice gift for some friends and I'd be interested as well.

J

[beg.gif]

Jason Hagen

#349 Post by Jason Hagen » January 27th, 2020, 8:50 am

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 5:05 pm
The best way to describe the Red Dot is it it so good I smoke it until the toothpick catches fire or lips blister.
Awesome. Thanks. I just got a box of 10 Robustos for $42.

J

Steve Crawford

#350 Post by Steve Crawford » January 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 7:28 pm
Steve Crawford wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 6:19 pm
That Bellas Artes I had the other day is calling my name. I was planning on a Padron 1964 Maduro or Cohiba Red Dot Toro before trying that Bellas Artes.
randy-for a novice such as myself who has mostly enjoyed padrons in the maduro wrapper, what else would you recommend? semi-specifically, maybe more of a daily (read: cheaper) stick?
thanks in advance

Return to “Beer and Spirits”