Wow, wow, wow, the Flowers 2010 SVR Block 11 Pinot Noir

Just popped and poured a glass of this 100% whole cluster fermentation beauty

I’ll post more later, but three quick thoughts come to mind.,

1. this wine puts Flowers back on the map for me

2. this is a beautiful, complex, compelling bottle

3. high percentages of whole cluster fermentation (for me) are the most complex and interesting wines, period.

Jason Jardine, formerly of Rhys, has done wonders.

These wines, both Pinots and Chards, are terrific. Somehow I missed out on this bottling though?

Have never had this bottling, but I agree with Kris - the wines have gone in a nice direction since about the 08/09 vintages when Jason started getting involved.

I agree that they are on an upswing. At WOPN this year, Flowers Sea View Ridge was my favorite among all the wines I had a chance to try. I also thought their 2011 Sonoma Coast was the best vintage I’ve had of that bottling.

Ugh - I knew I was going to regret only buying one bottle, I didn’t think it would happen this soon tho!

Glenn, this was offered up in the last couple months along with the Moon Select Chard and Pinot and the 2011 SC.

I didn’t order fast enough Steve and by the time I peeked it was SO.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments! It’s such a relief to hear we are on the right track directly from the end consumer. Our incredible young team (Darrin, David, Matt, Jennifer, Chantal, Christopher, Miguel, etc…) have been pouring their blood, sweat, and tears into our vineyards over the past few years and we have witnessed amazing results. On the SVR Block 11, this is the first whole cluster wine released from Flowers since the inaugural 1994 Camp Meeting Ridge Pinot. Whole cluster is a major component of all of our wines now and I am anxious to release the 2011 estate wines as this may be the best vintage in Flowers history.

I personally base a lot of my buying decisions on what the Berserker community is saying, so thank you!

Night two, fruit is a little brighter. Mouthfeel is wonderfully textured with a grip of tannin. Cinnamon, orange, red fruits. Whole cluster, while less still more dominant feature. Heavier feel to it, but less than yesterday.

I hope I can let a glass or so make it to tomorrow. Trying to exert some will power.

More rounded and brighter on night number three. Best night so far and I think it could be even brighter/more energetic if i had a glass to save to tomorrow. WC impact seems less prevalent, but still at forefront. Red fruits are a touch brighter, juicier. Tannins still obvious, with a fine graininess to them.

< On the SVR Block 11, this is the first whole cluster wine released from Flowers since the inaugural 1994 Camp Meeting Ridge Pinot.>

I was able to taste the Flowers Camp Meeting Ridge 1994 at a tasting back in the late 1990’s and it was a terrific wine and the reason I signed up for the mailing list back then (full disclose, no longer on list). The Camp Meeting Ridge’s Moon Selects after that vintage never duplicated that CMR 1994 for me and I understand part of it was due to different winemakers (with Kistler making the wine in 1994 and LaFollette after that). But was it also due to changing from whole cluster? Thanks.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your notes and following this wine over a few days… I am currently decanting all our '10s & '11s for a minimum of 4 hours. My preferred method is opening the day before and tasting about 50mls worth, re-cork, and set back in the cellar. '09s are a little more generous today as a pop and pour.

Hi Mike,

It’s hard to say given the different winemaking philosophies over the years. Steve Kistler made the '94-'96s which have been my favorite Flowers vintages to date. He made these wines with the influence of Joan and Walt Flowers and are very different than the Kistler wines from that period. '94-'96 all had the influence of WC. 100% in '94 and 75%/50% for subsequent years. From the history I know, Greg stopped using WC when he fully took over winemaking in '97. If you like the '94, I think you would appreciate the '10 Moon, '10 CMR, and especially the '11 CMR Block 11 which will be released next year.

Jason - what’s the skinny on the 11 SC Chardonnay?

Needs time Glenn, needs time… Just bottled in Late Dec. Made in a refreshing style utilizing 20% stainless and a low new oak %. Tons of lemon/lime zest and apple skin due to the retention of malic acid. Captures the salinity of our coastal sites well too. Having tasted with you, I think Melinda will really enjoy it champagne.gif Not that you won’t…

Just an FYI, a few bottles of 94-97 CMR and Moon Select Pinot popped up in this week’s winebid auction…

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I’ll probably try to buy some back! We only have 1-3 btls of these left in the winery cellar but the '94-'96 have been great. The '97 would be more of a gamble…

Don’t be bidding me up…haven’t seen you since 2010 release up at the winery. Terrible weather, Junior visit and far too many oysters…it was great.

Hey Kris, that’s funny… I won’t bid you up. But, I will wait until the final second and use the super secret auction winning algorithm… neener Really, how do people do that?

Come and visit again soon. A ton of change in the vineyards and wines since 2010…