Apothic Red???

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Roberto Rogness

Apothic Red???

#1 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 6th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Someone just came in looking for this saying their wife said it was the best wine she ever tasted. Cellar Tracker notes big to differ:

http://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?T ... pothic+Red

I did a search for him and it seems to only show up on the East Coast. Some sort of private label?
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

Larry Kaplan

Re: Apothic Red???

#2 Post by Larry Kaplan » July 6th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Gallo product. Fruity and at most grocery stores for about 8.99 a bottle
Last edited by Larry Kaplan on July 6th, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wine Cellar

ODERINT DUM METUANT
The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. A.Einstein

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 6th, 2012, 2:52 pm

You are a wine retailer, in Socal, and you seriously are claiming never to have seen Apothic Red?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Beau Carufel

#4 Post by Beau Carufel » July 6th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:You are a wine retailer, in Socal, and you seriously are claiming never to have seen Apothic Red?
Good point.

I'm surprised Gallo hasn't tried to bribe you into selling the stuff.
ITB: Winemaker & Distributor

Matthew Kershaw

Apothic Red???

#5 Post by Matthew Kershaw » July 6th, 2012, 2:57 pm

Another friend bought me a bottle because he also thought it was the most amazing wine. Sadly, the cellartracker reviews are correct. Mass produced sweet red.

Roberto Rogness

#6 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 6th, 2012, 2:57 pm

I don't think I've laid eyes on a Gallo rep in over six or seven years. Wine Searcher pretty much has it in NY / NJ and a little in CT.

Is it one of those new fangled "Sweet Reds"?
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by K John Joseph » July 6th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Syrupy sweet grape juice with no character, body, complexity, finish, or tannins.. So sweet that I can hardly detect any alcohol. Add lots of ice and drink on a hot summer day, or pour over ice cream. (593 views)

No that's a note I can understand.
J0hn-J-K4ne

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Davis » July 6th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Larry Kaplan wrote:Gallo product. Fruity and at most grocery stores for about 8.99 a bottle
Told by my Gallo rep that it was the top selling red.... Don't know where, don't know how but that was what I was told. I try to avoid (in my grocery store) the usual grocery store wines but the wine has a huge following. Not saying that is a good or bad thing but it sells.....

JD
ITB

Brian Gilp

#9 Post by Brian Gilp » July 6th, 2012, 3:25 pm

It must be a big seller in Maryland. I see it advertised on the scrolling sign of the "wine shop" closest to my place of work. It's the only wine that ever gets mentioned by name. Right up there with Fat Tire and special events with Dexter Manley.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by brigcampbell » July 6th, 2012, 3:28 pm

• 2010 Apothic Winemaker's Blend - USA, California (12/2/2011)
    Ok, I'm not hating this so need to have an open mind. Its not bad, a little candied fruit on the attack and fairly simple with a short finish.
Posted from CellarTracker

dave cuneo

#11 Post by dave cuneo » July 6th, 2012, 3:33 pm

There is a very strong and growing niche for sweet red wines.
IMO, this is Tony Bennett at his finest, singing Burt Bacharach's "Whoever you Are, I Love You" from "Promises, Promises".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPw5nLeD1NQ

Roberto Rogness

#12 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 6th, 2012, 3:36 pm

We are blowing UP a nice Marzemino from Emilia Romagna that is probably 4% RS. We have a lot of Russian and Latina nannies in the hood and I keep something like that around for them but wealso pour it at the end of our Thursday night 20/20 tasting and people jump on it.
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

jcoley3

#13 Post by jcoley3 » July 6th, 2012, 3:50 pm

dave cuneo wrote:There is a very strong and growing niche for sweet red wines.
There's an even larger niche for red wines that are sweet but don't acknowledge it in any way, shape or form on the label. This wine is a perfect example of that style. According to the label, it's a blend of Zin, Syrah, Cab and Merlot. Lots of buzzy adjectives, but "sweet" is not one of them. And this most certainly is.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

danupdike

#14 Post by danupdike » July 6th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Ever heard of Menage-a-Trois Red wine? That and Apothic are pretty much the same. A kitchen-sink blend at around 1% RS.
ITB retail sales

Beau Carufel

#15 Post by Beau Carufel » July 6th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Apothic Red is a wine for the casual wine drinker, not the average Berserker...Simple, jammy fruit, gives you a buzz. Could be worse, could be a $40 Oregon pinot with raging VA that gets a 93 from WS or WA..
ITB: Winemaker & Distributor

Loren Sonkin

#16 Post by Loren Sonkin » July 6th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Someone brought a bottle over. Candied and a bit boring but comparable to Yellowtail. Its ok but I wouldn't waste my time. For those looking for an easy to drink $9 bottle of red to get drunk on, you could do worse.
With regards,

Loren Sonkin
Columnist at www.Intowine.com

Jason Hagen

#17 Post by Jason Hagen » July 6th, 2012, 5:40 pm

This wine is everywhere. Winex brought in the 2010 and gave it a write up. That is a bit of an endorsement that it is at least drinkable.

Jason

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Doug Schulman » July 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

It is a huge seller in these parts. I think they did a poor job choosing a name because many people who seem to buy it regularly cannot remember the name, but we always know when they want when they ask for "Apothecary", something that isn't actually a word starting with "Ap", or start to stutter with the first syllable or two.
ITB - retail sales and education

Eric I r m s c h e r

#19 Post by Eric I r m s c h e r » July 6th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Down here "on the Bayou" it's in every retailer...some devoting the end aisle displays to this plonk. Folks must love it and buy it up. It's the million dollar question I cannot seem to ascertain. We (LA , NOLA) have some of the best cuisine (either being prepared at home or in restaurants) in the US and this type of wine is being consumed en masse here. It makes my heart ache.

jcoley3

#20 Post by jcoley3 » July 6th, 2012, 8:57 pm

Eric Irmscher wrote:We (LA , NOLA) have some of the best cuisine (either being prepared at home or in restaurants) in the US and this type of wine is being consumed en masse here. It makes my heart ache.
Wrong villain. Unless I'm mistaken, NOLA has plenty of fast food options. Equating this wine with fine dining is to completely misunderstand the purpose of a wine like this. The real villains are similar blends with similar flavor profiles that cost $30 and up retail, or $75 and up on a restaurant list and are consumed by the bottle or by the glass by culinary prisoners who don't know any better.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Eric Guido
Contributor
Contributor

#21 Post by Eric Guido » July 6th, 2012, 9:21 pm

I've had a two different friends, that collect fruit forward reds, who have both come to me and raved about this wine. They must be doing something right. When I tasted it, there were no vintages, just lot numbers. My note gives you a pretty good idea of how rich and sweet this is but I also understand that it has it's place. Not my speed though.
ITB -- Morrell Wine Group

michael dietrich

#22 Post by michael dietrich » July 7th, 2012, 7:47 am

I do sell wine here in Oregon for a grocery chain. Yes we sell lots of this. It actually is a good crossover wine for people used to sweet whites. They also came out with an Apothic White that is not bad but certainly tastes drier as in 1-1 1/2% RS. I would guess that the last time I tasted the red I would guess it at least 2% and maybe 3%.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

Apothic Red???

#23 Post by K John Joseph » July 7th, 2012, 7:58 am

jcoley3 wrote:
Eric Irmscher wrote:We (LA , NOLA) have some of the best cuisine (either being prepared at home or in restaurants) in the US and this type of wine is being consumed en masse here. It makes my heart ache.
Wrong villain. Unless I'm mistaken, NOLA has plenty of fast food options. Equating this wine with fine dining is to completely misunderstand the purpose of a wine like this. The real villains are similar blends with similar flavor profiles that cost $30 and up retail, or $75 and up on a restaurant list and are consumed by the bottle or by the glass by culinary prisoners who don't know any better.
You mean "The Prisoner?"
J0hn-J-K4ne

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#24 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » July 7th, 2012, 8:27 am

Parker LOVED it...and now you can buy it at Walgreens...

Mike DiSalvo

#25 Post by Mike DiSalvo » July 7th, 2012, 8:44 am

It's also a huge seller here in OH in the grocery stores. They also make an Apothic White as well. I like the market bait they use, by putting up a huge display of the plonk and having the regular price being $20 or so and showing it on "sale" for $10. That seems to be the standard marketing for wine these days at the local grocery store.
M!ke Di$alvo

danupdike

#26 Post by danupdike » July 7th, 2012, 9:31 am

michael dietrich wrote:I do sell wine here in Oregon for a grocery chain. Yes we sell lots of this. It actually is a good crossover wine for people used to sweet whites. They also came out with an Apothic White that is not bad but certainly tastes drier as in 1-1 1/2% RS. I would guess that the last time I tasted the red I would guess it at least 2% and maybe 3%.
The only tech notes I can find are on the 2008. 1.7% RS.

http://www.gallofamilystore.com/assets/ ... 202008.pdf
ITB retail sales

Roberto Rogness

#27 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 7th, 2012, 9:39 am

All that makes it doubly weird that the guy couldn't find it anywhere and that all the searching put it all on the East Coast.
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#28 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 7th, 2012, 9:53 am

Roberto Rogness wrote:All that makes it doubly weird that the guy couldn't find it anywhere and that all the searching put it all on the East Coast.
He didn't look very hard. It's at every Ralph's, Albertson's, Vons, Pavillions, etc. in Socal
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Doug Schulman » July 7th, 2012, 10:20 am

Eric Irmscher wrote:Down here "on the Bayou" it's in every retailer...some devoting the end aisle displays to this plonk. Folks must love it and buy it up. It's the million dollar question I cannot seem to ascertain. We (LA , NOLA) have some of the best cuisine (either being prepared at home or in restaurants) in the US and this type of wine is being consumed en masse here. It makes my heart ache.
I agree with Jim's response to this statement. Also, wine like this is being consumed in large quantities by the majority of wine drinkers in every city in the US, no matter how great or mediocre the food scene is. I doubt that they are generally eating at the best restaurants or cooking the best food at home (with some exceptions). Obviously there are also people who don't drink such wines, and I'm sure that group fully appreciates the culinary splendor of NOLA.
ITB - retail sales and education

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brian Tuite » July 7th, 2012, 10:47 am

My step-Son is a vineyard manager for Gallo Sonoma and he brought a bottle over one night to try. Said Gallos target market is 25-35 year old women.
  • 2008 Apothic Winemaker's Blend - USA, California (11/22/2010)
    The kids brought a bottle over last night. It unfortunately followed a 2009 Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel. I popped it, poured a taste, took a sip and made the sound of a bomb dropping from an airplane and then exploding on the ground. Plonk. Someone rolled the grape juice truck up, added some mega purple and bottled it as wine. Son said Gallo's target market is 25-35 year old women. Uh, yup. No nose, all fruit, no structure whatsoever no acidity, no tannins. RS had to be 2-3%. Great guzzling wine. Should have come in a 1 gallon jug with a thumb ring. Nice label, catchy name.
Posted from CellarTracker
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Tim Heaton

#31 Post by Tim Heaton » July 7th, 2012, 12:27 pm

M A T T H A R T L E Y wrote:Parker LOVED it...and now you can buy it at Walgreens...
'nuff said...

Admire who, what??? neener
ITB, www.italianwinereviews.com
CT: Tim Heaton

Roberto Rogness

#32 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Seriously, he reviewed it and favorably at that?
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#33 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » July 7th, 2012, 4:55 pm

"Apathetic Red" fits better for me. Gallo does their marketing homework. We sell lots if it here in Tucson too, usually to women.
ITB: Todd did not send me a bill

rachel mcdonald

#34 Post by rachel mcdonald » July 7th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:My step-Son is a vineyard manager for Gallo Sonoma and he brought a bottle over one night to try. Said Gallos target market is 25-35 year old women.
And their marketing works. I have a couple of friends who love it and it makes a pretty regular appearance at get togethers. It's palatable if it's chilled a little bit because it hides the sweetness somewhat (and by palatable, I don't mean good). Unsurprisingly it's the same friends who drink a lot of diet soda and add flavored syrups to their lattes. It helps that the marketing describes it as having cherry, mocha, chocolate and brown spice notes.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Brian Tuite » July 7th, 2012, 5:40 pm

rachel mcdonald wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:My step-Son is a vineyard manager for Gallo Sonoma and he brought a bottle over one night to try. Said Gallos target market is 25-35 year old women.
And their marketing works. I have a couple of friends who love it and it makes a pretty regular appearance at get togethers. It's palatable if it's chilled a little bit because it hides the sweetness somewhat (and by palatable, I don't mean good). Unsurprisingly it's the same friends who drink a lot of diet soda and add flavored syrups to their lattes. It helps that the marketing describes it as having cherry, mocha, chocolate and brown spice notes.
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." ~ Henry Mencken

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Steve Manzi » July 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm

I couldn't remember the name of the wine, but I posted about this wine in the Parker thread that Mike Dildine started. This wine SUCKED. It was so sweet and structurelss that it was undrinkable, for me and the friend who brought it to lunch. He was excited about trying it, and has a very good palate. We could not drink it. Even tried to chill it because of the softness, and it still was undrinkable.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by brigcampbell » July 10th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Snapped this today at a chevron gas station in socal. Top shelf!

[resizeableimage=800,500]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/ ... -00092.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Brian Tuite » July 10th, 2012, 8:14 pm

brigcampbell wrote:Snapped this today at a chevron gas station in socal. Top shelf!

[resizeableimage=800,500]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g297/ ... -00092.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Great pairing with TALKIES! pepsi

2019 WOTY...

Steve D.

#39 Post by Steve D. » July 10th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Vanilla forward wine, seems to be very popular in my area. I know some knowledgeable wine geeks who enjoy it as a daily drinker. This wine tends to do VERY well in blind tastings - I know it won a double gold in at least one event this year.

It's one-dimensional, but a good value wine. I like to bring it to parties or serve it to people who don't know or care. Everyone seems to enjoy it. I gotta admit... I have no problem with this wine, certainly not for the price.
My real name is Steve Dunn.

Eugene

#40 Post by Eugene » July 10th, 2012, 9:41 pm

I received one of these for free from a merchant I buy wine often from...poured it down the drain. I haven't had yellowtail so can't comment on that, but this had to be one of the sweetest and most alcoholic wines I've had. In some ways, when I think of candied zin gone really wrong, this comes to mind. I felt that it was so sweet I couldn't use it in cooking as it might have some RS in it. Honestly I found 2 buck chuck to be a better drink than this bottle. For those of you who think a big red like the Prisoner tastes like cough syrup, you should use this as your benchmark instead.
E u g e n e Y e h

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Steve Manzi » July 11th, 2012, 3:38 am

Eugene wrote:I received one of these for free from a merchant I buy wine often from...poured it down the drain. I haven't had yellowtail so can't comment on that, but this had to be one of the sweetest and most alcoholic wines I've had. In some ways, when I think of candied zin gone really wrong, this comes to mind. I felt that it was so sweet I couldn't use it in cooking as it might have some RS in it. Honestly I found 2 buck chuck to be a better drink than this bottle. For those of you who think a big red like the Prisoner tastes like cough syrup, you should use this as your benchmark instead.

I could not agree more. Just an awful wine.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Lewis Dawson

#42 Post by Lewis Dawson » July 11th, 2012, 6:26 am

I have not had this wine, and not interested to have it, but there are a some rather pretentious posts in this thread, IMO. Seems to me that it is accurately described by the marketing materials... http://www.gallofamilystore.com/assets/ ... 202008.pdf

Sure, the description could be improved by adding reference to the sweetness, but at least the alcohol is modest, the RS is disclosed, and I think this is a case of "no harm, no foul." Is anyone surprised to learn that such wines exist?
-- Lew --
Italian Bikes &
French Wines

Tim Heaton

#43 Post by Tim Heaton » July 11th, 2012, 9:09 am

Some months back, i was the unwitting victim of this wine. It was a casual setting, one where there were more people that preferred (read: only understood) $10 and under bottles than people that understood and appreciated fine wine. If you must, there were a small handful of wine snobs, and a boatload of everyone else. I brought my own wine, as I always do to this venue, keeping it in my wine bag in a seldom visited corner (save by me, that is). I've known this crowd a long time and they know me, so it's understood that I prefer to drink my own wine and forgo the beer, cocktails or whatever else might be open.

About an hour into the party, a young girl (mid-late 20's) that had been moving about the room stopped by a corner I'd been sharing with some friends for the better part of the time since the party had begun. She had, she said, a bottle that she'd just discovered, one that she begged us to try, knowing that we enjoyed fine wine. We obliged.

I don't need to finish the story except to say that after a few sniffs and taste all of us (5) in unison, made our way to the nearest sink and emptied our glasses the moment she moved on. We didn't want to pop her balloon. People like what they like, that's all there is to it, as confusing as it may seem. Later on in the party, she asked what we thought. We told her it was interesting. And, we said, delicious. She grinned from ear to ear, then danced off to join the others.

This is one of the single biggest selling wine brands in CO. The fact that Gallo has a HUGE presence in Colorado makes this product doubly successful. It has everything (yes, everything) the demographic for this wine is looking for (in this order): smooth, cheap, alcoholic. I'm sure they'd say it comes down to taste as the most heavily-weighted factor. To this, I have no reply.

dave cuneo

#44 Post by dave cuneo » July 11th, 2012, 9:34 am

Many of today's wine geeks started on wines like these. I downed many liters of Carlo Rossi "Paisano" back in the day, and have a sudden urge to go get me a jug for tonight.
IMO, this is Tony Bennett at his finest, singing Burt Bacharach's "Whoever you Are, I Love You" from "Promises, Promises".

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Steve Manzi » July 11th, 2012, 9:36 am

Lewis Dawson wrote:I have not had this wine, and not interested to have it, but there are a some rather pretentious posts in this thread, IMO. Seems to me that it is accurately described by the marketing materials... http://www.gallofamilystore.com/assets/ ... 202008.pdf

Sure, the description could be improved by adding reference to the sweetness, but at least the alcohol is modest, the RS is disclosed, and I think this is a case of "no harm, no foul." Is anyone surprised to learn that such wines exist?
Try the wine, THEN let us know what you think.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 11th, 2012, 9:45 am

Funny, never ever heard of this wine, but admittedly, it's pretty rare that I'm in a grocery store.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Tim Heaton

#47 Post by Tim Heaton » July 11th, 2012, 9:50 am

dave cuneo wrote:Many of today's wine geeks started on wines like these. I downed many liters of Carlo Rossi "Paisano" back in the day, and have a sudden urge to go get me a jug for tonight.
Indeed. I can remember buying 5 Franc Muscadet and Haut Medoc at one of my favorite shops in the 13th arr., at the time, I loved it. 20+ years and a lot of bottles have gone by. In the mid-90's I recall having plenty of Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio around the house. But, and this is a big but, the aforementioned Gallo product is wrong, on every level. It does nothing to advance the culture and/or appreciation of wine. To me, anyway.

Roberto Rogness

#48 Post by Roberto Rogness » July 11th, 2012, 9:59 am

Was Carlo Rossi Paisano sweet or was it a value knockoff of basic Chianti that was dry and had some acidity?
ITB Retail
É prohibido prohibir!

dave cuneo

#49 Post by dave cuneo » July 11th, 2012, 10:12 am

Roberto Rogness wrote:Was Carlo Rossi Paisano sweet or was it a value knockoff of basic Chianti that was dry and had some acidity?

Sweet but with perfect balance, and quite complex, especially after a liter or two. [basic-smile.gif]

It was, and still is, a Gallo ( I think) product that tried to be the stereotypical "dago red", or homemade wine that the Italian immigrants would have made, with a Cali twist. We sold lots of it, often by the case, when I was in retail.

BTraub

#50 Post by BTraub » July 11th, 2012, 12:33 pm

When Apothic was first introduced a couple of years ago, I was told by Gallo's distributor that the wine was specifically designed to compete with Menage a Trois. A "Menage-killer" they said.

FWIW, I think it's better than Menage. Can't say I really give a damn though.
Bennett Traub
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”