Philadelphia, PA

Detailed information, by region, of restaurants and their wine/corkage policies
John Mc

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Post by John Mc » July 27th, 2010, 8:14 am

I guess I will start this up and start with my own neighborhood - Northern Liberties

Modo Mio (http://modomiorestaurant.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

161 West Girard Avenue
Phialdelphia, PA 19123

no corkage fee

Cash only
reservations encouraged
rather small so not good for a party bigger than say 8
loud, always busy atmosphere

5-10 pm Tuesday - Saturday
Closed Sundays in the Summer

Sugo Sunday in fall - no menu, just tradition

try the menu tourista - 4 courses for $33 - app/pasta/main/dessert

menu changes often

they also have a sister sandwhich shop right across the street which is arguably the best sandwhich in the city
For it's a Grand old team to play for

Mc Carroll

Robert Broder

Re: Philadelphia, PA

#2 Post by Robert Broder » July 28th, 2010, 7:21 am

I am new to Wine Beserkers, but not new to wine or to Delaware Valley BYOBS. Glad you started this as I was surprised that the Philly area, home of great BYOBs due to arcane PA licensing rules, was not represented as a topic. Went to Modo Mio last week and several times before with my wine group. Loud is an understatement, but very good food. Pre-fix is the way to go. Loved my braised rabbit last time there. Too many BYOBs that I like to discuss now, but will add some from time to time. Thanks for starting this. For those not familiar with Philly, in addition to many restaurants that have no liquor license and are solely BYOB with no or nominal corkage, to compete, many fine restaurants with liquor licenses have special nights of the week where no or nominal corkage is charged. One of my favorites is Paradiso in South Philly where on Sunday evening there is no corkage charge.

John Mc

#3 Post by John Mc » July 28th, 2010, 11:45 am

Paradiso Restaurant & Wine Bar
1627 East Passyunk Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19148
Telephone: 215-271-2066
http://www.paradisophilly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mc Carroll

John Mc

#4 Post by John Mc » July 28th, 2010, 11:56 am

Another one in my hood that is pretty new is Lafayette Bistro.

http://www.lafayettebistro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

501 Fairmont Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19123

Phone: (215) 928-9200
Fax: (215) 928-9204

Regular business hours are:
5:00 PM - 10:00 PM Monday thru Thursday
5:00 PM - 11:00 PM Friday and Saturday
1:00 PM - 10:00 PM Sunday

Mediterranean food

Lafayette is a city in Tunsia and 1 of the owners is from there.

They suggested we do takeout, even though they don't offer the service, when I called to cancel a reservation only moments before we were to arrive b/c the babysitter cancelled.

And we have been back twice.

Good food, a little on the pricey side but I would recommend this place.

Mc Carroll

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 28th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Matyson is a long-known favorite in Philly.

http://www.matyson.com/
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Frank Nerney

#6 Post by Frank Nerney » July 29th, 2010, 10:41 am

Let me add another in John's Northern Liberties area

SONATA
1030 N. American Street
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.sonatarestaurant.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chef/owner Mark Tropea does a great job at this trendy BYOB.

I have a review of Sonata and scores of other BYOB's in the Philly/South Jersey area on my website:
SOUTH JERSEY WINE & DINE
http://www.ballymote.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Mc

#7 Post by John Mc » July 29th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Frank - that was going to be my next post!

I read your review on your blog and say + 1.

We have been several times already and are never disappointed.

Although on the small side, we did have a party of 14 in there on a Friday night.

They also have outdoor seating.

And one thing you might not know is that he bought the restaurant / equipment from the previous owners on Craigslist of all places.

John

Mc Carroll

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Bob Hughes » July 29th, 2010, 7:00 pm

http://koozeedoo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another great restaurant in John's neck of the woods. BTW, thanks for opening the thread, John. IMO, the only benefit to living in the land of the PLCB is the fact that so many talented chefs don't want to be bothered with the BS involved in getting a liquor license, so we have all kinds of places to eat & drink.

John Mc

#9 Post by John Mc » July 30th, 2010, 6:22 am

Bob Hughes wrote:http://koozeedoo.com/

Another great restaurant in John's neck of the woods. BTW, thanks for opening the thread, John. IMO, the only benefit to living in the land of the PLCB is the fact that so many talented chefs don't want to be bothered with the BS involved in getting a liquor license, so we have all kinds of places to eat & drink.

I have yet to get to koozeedoo but have heard great things and I love me a good portuguese meal

Copper, which was in this location before koozeedoo was one of our local favs

And I couldn't agree more about the plethora of great BYO's

Mc Carroll

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Bob Hughes » July 31st, 2010, 11:59 am

http://www.twelvesgrill.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shifting gears briefly, I was out last night in the far southwestern Burbs and had a wine dinner at Twelves Grill in West Grove. I always admire chef/owners who take the risk of opening a fine-dining establishment in some remote suburban outpost (two of my favorites that immediately come to mind are Sovana Bistro in Unionville and the Birchrunville Store Cafe in Chester Springs), and while I wouldn't necessarily rank this place with those restaurants just yet, I did have a very enjoyable meal.

$5 corkage, and the stemware was very acceptable.

Paul Chubb

#11 Post by Paul Chubb » July 31st, 2010, 4:42 pm

bibou restaurant in south philly.

http://www.biboubyob.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

probably had the best sweetbreads i have ever had there, and the pigs foot was just as good.
just an incredible meal.
"It's were I keep all my things. I Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one." alan

Paul Chubb

#12 Post by Paul Chubb » July 31st, 2010, 4:45 pm

blackfish restaurant in conshohocken.

http://www.blackfishrestaurant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

personal favorite... i have had a lot of meals there with some friends, and it is always good.
if chip roman (the chef) is still doing it, on tuesdays he does a 3 course tasting menu based on a single
ingredient that is always great (i've had foie gras, rabbit, wild boar, and many others).
"It's were I keep all my things. I Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one." alan

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Bob Hughes » July 31st, 2010, 6:02 pm

Paul, Chip is still doing those Tuesday night tasting menus.

http://www.birchrunvillestorecafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.restaurantalba.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sovanabistro.com/restaurant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three other suburban outposts, all featuring excellent food and with more than acceptable stemware. Alba & Sovana also now have bars/wine lists as well, but still allow BYOB as their customer bases were so used to it before they go their liquor licenses.

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Bud Carey » August 1st, 2010, 5:51 am

In Conshohocken, I really like the Fayette Street Grill. Fixed price... changing menu... one app, one entree, one dessert.
Budman

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Bob Hughes » August 1st, 2010, 2:00 pm

I think the Fayette Street Grill is a nice place - the only problem I can see with it is location - it's only two blocks from Blackfish, and if I'm going to drive to Conshohocken, 9 times out of ten I'll go there instead of Fayette.

Robert Broder

#16 Post by Robert Broder » August 2nd, 2010, 8:32 am

If you are heading out to the Western Burbs, my neck of the woods, you might like the following BYOBs: a la Maison Bistro (Ardmore), decent French bistro fare, Gemelli (Narberth), very good Italian and particularly the pastas, and Sola (Bryn Mawr) very good contemporary American. All have detailed web-sites and first and last can be reserved on Open Table. Not the greatest meals you will ever eat, but reliable and up to snuff with other BYOBs listed in this topic so far, all of which I have tried, and some (e.g., Blackfish, Bibou, Sonata, Kozeedo, Alba), many times. EDIT dated 5/2/2011 understand that Clark Gilbert, chef and owner of Gemelli, has sold Narberth loacation to John Wohlferth, a prior owner of Sola, and is relocating to Manayunk. No details as to both locations yet.
Last edited by Robert Broder on May 2nd, 2011, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#17 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am

Bob Hughes wrote:http://koozeedoo.com/...the only benefit to living in the land of the PLCB is the fact that so many talented chefs don't want to be bothered with the BS involved in getting a liquor license, so we have all kinds of places to eat & drink.
+21 or so. KZD is worth the trip.

Nice topic.

Although perhaps persona-non-grata here, Mark Squires did a respectable summary of downtown Philly BYO options and is quite plugged in to that scene. Good reasonable fare to be had at Nan and Bistro 7

It seems like more and more licensed places are willing to negotiate or even wave corkage. Super off-liner D. Kaplan seems most adept in this area.

Forgotten yet still respectable is the Spring Mill Cafe near Conshohocken.

I keep looking for options in the boonies: Doylestown, Lansdale, Quakertown, Skippack, etc., but the quality can't compete with Gilmores, Blackfish, etc. I was able to negotiate inexpensive corkage at the Mainland Inn, but it's fallen out of favor after a case of goodies (being transferred at an off-line) was somehow "lost". The food's still decent.

RT

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Bob Hughes » August 2nd, 2010, 6:16 pm

Another good place (closer to Rich, although not quite at the Northern end of the world [wink.gif] ) is Sushi Bluefin in Plymouth Meeting, right past the mall in a strip shopping center on Germantown Pike. Excellent sushi, and quite a nice match for riesling, or the every once in a while Austrian pinot blanc. I'd link their website but last time I checked it was not up & running.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » August 2nd, 2010, 6:31 pm

My cousin now lives out by the hospital somewhere around 34th-40th St & Chestnut. Any good reccos in that area? It seems to be only about 10min to Center City on the bus, so no big deal if there aren't any.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Robert Broder

#20 Post by Robert Broder » August 3rd, 2010, 6:49 am

To Brent: 2 good BYOBs on that side of the river that I am familiar with (I am sure there are more). 1) Nan at 4000 Chestnut Street (mentioned above) / Thai and French-Thai fusion. 2) Marigold Kitchen at 501 South 45th Street/ contemporary American. Marigold was a hot BYOB a few years ago, and I liked it. There was a change in chefs (perhaps owner too) and then I didn't like it. Heard the chef changed again, and I returned recently with my wine group (8 persons) for a multi-course pre-fixe dinner, and it was GREAT! Looking forward to going back. Web-site is kept current . Check out the menus.

John Mc

#21 Post by John Mc » August 3rd, 2010, 9:04 am

Robert Broder wrote:To Brent: 2 good BYOBs on that side of the river that I am familiar with (I am sure there are more). 1) Nan at 4000 Chestnut Street (mentioned above) / Thai and French-Thai fusion. 2) Marigold Kitchen at 501 South 45th Street/ contemporary American. Marigold was a hot BYOB a few years ago, and I liked it. There was a change in chefs (perhaps owner too) and then I didn't like it. Heard the chef changed again, and I returned recently with my wine group (8 persons) for a multi-course pre-fixe dinner, and it was GREAT! Looking forward to going back. Web-site is kept current . Check out the menus.
+ 1 on marigold ....as i remember the chef changed (erin o'Shea, i think) and the menu stayed the same, and then she switched to home country cooking and that didn't work out, and then she left and it went back to the way it was in the begining ....

Mc Carroll

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Kevin Porter » August 3rd, 2010, 10:01 am

Thanks for the update on Marigold. IIRC chefs have been Johnny Mac (now Pub & Kitchen and Diving Horse in Avalon); Michael Salamanov (Zahav); Erin O'Shea (Percy Street Barbecue) and current. My best meal there was my first, cooked by Johnny Mac.

I like Sycamore (http://www.sycamorebyo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in Lansdowne, and love Alba and Blackfish. Koozeedoo is on the short list, as is Bibou.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 5th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:Another good place (closer to Rich, although not quite at the Northern end of the world [wink.gif] ) is Sushi Bluefin in Plymouth Meeting, right past the mall in a strip shopping center on Germantown Pike.
Heard great things about Bluefin and need to concentrate on stopping in during my sporadic trips to Norristown. Were you in on the Omakase dinner?

RT

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Bob Hughes » August 6th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Yes [cheers.gif] flirtysmile [welldone.gif]

Neil Gilmour
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Neil Gilmour » August 7th, 2010, 6:31 am

Robert Broder wrote:If you are heading out to the Western Burbs, my neck of the woods, you might like the following BYOBs: a la Maison Bistro (Ardmore), decent French bistro fare, Gemelli (Narberth), very good Italian and particularly the pastas, and Sola (Bryn Mawr) very good contemporary American.
These are in my neighborhood and are excellent choices. Sola has been around for years with varying ownership but has remained a fine restaurant. The others are much newer but excellent choices.

Joshua Roberts

#26 Post by Joshua Roberts » August 9th, 2010, 1:07 pm

As a Center City denizen, I could probably go on for days on this topic. Some of the good ones have already been mentioned.

Marigold is a completely different restaurant. When the Solomnov Team (Zahav, etc.) decided to open Percy St. BBQ on South St., they moved Erin to that place and sold Marigold, except for the name. The new cuisine is completely different -- a bit of gastro-chemistry stuff. It is good, but quite different from what it was.

In Fairmount, L'oca is always good authentic Northern Italian, but it can be a bit slow at times, especially on weekends.

Bibou is a must try. It is in the old Pif space. The food is excellent and they take care with their wine service.

For some upper scale Greek (as opposed to say, taverna Greek), try Kanella. Very good. Tough to get a reservation.

Getting a little further afield, Le Virtu on East Passyunk down near Snyder is excellent autentic Italian. In fact, there are several nice spots in that East Passyunk area. Not always easy to park -- take the Broad Street Line to Snyder or Tasker/Morris.

Robert Broder

#27 Post by Robert Broder » August 10th, 2010, 8:19 am

For those unaware, Davio's (111 S. 17th St.), a fine upscale Northern Italian Steakhouse, is BYOB with no corkage on Friday Evenings. Moreover, my wine group has had our annual holiday dinner there twice during the past several years with a pre-fix menu and no corkage charge. Very good food and fabulous wine service. Good stems that are changed regularly and appropriate to the wines, accurate pours among 8-10 people, and accurate in serving the correct multiple bottles with each course. Unlike most BYOBS where we do not want the staff to handle the wines or pour, we enjoy it here. Also, unlike most BYOBS, very comfortable seating and setting. Not inexpensive, but when BYOB, very good value.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Matt Latuchie » August 10th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Brent Clayton wrote:Matyson is a long-known favorite in Philly.

Lived next door to Matyson for a couple years - dined there often, and always recommend it to my friends/family.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Robert Broder

#29 Post by Robert Broder » August 23rd, 2010, 8:40 am

Went to Birchrunville Cafe for the first time Sat. evening. 40 miles from downtown Philly and 28 miles from my home in Bryn Mawr. We reserved 4 months in advance. In my opinion, worth the wait and the schlep. Country inn charm, comfortable, roomy and not loud. Very good service-our waitress was great with added fine wine service, Very good stems, multiples when requested and replaced with care. Very good food and fairly priced at $9 for appetizers and $ 30 for entrees. Limited menu of 6 items each with 5 appetizer specials and 2 entree specials off the menu at same prices. The other couple we went with who were also there for the first time and we agreed it was the kind of place that was worth a visit once a year. Only disappointment was they were out of the wild boar entree which was my first choice. Restaurant web says don't use GPS to find them. I used Mapquest for good directions and checked it against GPS which actually worked when West Vincent Township was used rather than Birchrunville. Very pleasant evening.

John Mc

#30 Post by John Mc » August 23rd, 2010, 9:32 am

Robert Broder wrote:For those unaware, Davio's (111 S. 17th St.), a fine upscale Northern Italian Steakhouse, is BYOB with no corkage on Friday Evenings. Moreover, my wine group has had our annual holiday dinner there twice during the past several years with a pre-fix menu and no corkage charge. Very good food and fabulous wine service. Good stems that are changed regularly and appropriate to the wines, accurate pours among 8-10 people, and accurate in serving the correct multiple bottles with each course. Unlike most BYOBS where we do not want the staff to handle the wines or pour, we enjoy it here. Also, unlike most BYOBS, very comfortable seating and setting. Not inexpensive, but when BYOB, very good value.
thanks for the heads up on this ...Davios' was one of my 1st projects ever (we were the GC who did the fit out) ...its been ages since I have been there

Mc Carroll

John Mc

#31 Post by John Mc » August 23rd, 2010, 9:48 am

Dmitris'

no web site that I am aware of

Wife and I went to their newest location in our hood.

There are 3 locations

Original @ 3rd / Catherine (Queen Village)

Fitler Square - 22nd / Pine

Northern Liberties - 944 N. 2nd

FS has a liquor license but the other 2 are BYO.

I don't think any of them take reservations.

Have been to all 3 and the food is generally the same.

Greek / Mediterraen flavored seafood ...fresh

wife had grilled octopus and soft shell crabs

I had baba/humus and zuppa di pesce (clams/mussels/scallops/shrimp/tilapia)

wine glasses are VERY small

had 09' Bedrock Ode to lulu ..which was very enjoyable

Mc Carroll

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Bob Hughes » August 23rd, 2010, 5:24 pm

Robert, I was also at Birchrunville on Saturday ( the early seating), and yes, that wild board is a great dish, although I did not have it on Saturday, focusing instead on the foie-gras stuffed Muscovy Duck Breast, which was excellent. My favorite BYOB in the area, but I have been there about 100 times, and it's only 15 minutes from the house - I guess one of the few bennies for living in the boonies [wink.gif] .

Frank Nerney

#33 Post by Frank Nerney » September 1st, 2010, 7:06 am

Enjoyed my first visit to Blackfish in Conshohocken on Sunday evening. I thought I might be underwhelmed due to high expectations but it really was excellent.

Full Review here:

South Jersey Wine & Dine
http://www.ballymote.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frank Nerney

Robert Broder

#34 Post by Robert Broder » September 7th, 2010, 8:23 am

Went to L'Angolo on 1400 W Porter in South Philly with Party of 6 Sat. evening. Been there several times before, but not recently. Small, Northern Italian, BYOB, hole in the wall with fine food and exceptional service. Interesting menu and nice specials. Loved my veal medallions with fresh porcini mushrooms. Others enjoyed veal chop specials and chicken balsamic. Salads very good as were the 3 pastas we shared. 2 were home made raviolis stuffed with lobster and veal with sage. Add-on 20% tip for party of six which usually means bad service. Not here-waitstaff friendly and efficient and every request (e.g., more bread, extra wine glasses) promptly honored. Surprise of the night- we open our own wines and my friend lost part of the cork in a 2000 Phelps Insignia. Asked the waiter if he could help. Took bottle and returned with it properly decanted. How many BYOBs do you know that have good decanters on hand?

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Bob Hughes » September 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

Finally got to Bibou on Sunday, where we had a tasting menu - WOW! Food was sublimely good, one of the best meals I"ve had in a while, with highlights being courses involving the "holy trinity" of foie gras, sweetbreads & bone marrow - the bone marrow dish was exquisite. There was also a ramekin of chilled white coco bean soup with smoked fish to start, a guinea hen terrine, and a few other things I am forgetting right now, but all in, a great meal, and I'd highly recommend this to anyone. Plus, the fact that there is a municipal parking lot next door is a real bonus.

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Joe Dulworth » September 21st, 2010, 7:22 pm

Lord Bob, I hope we get in there Saturday. Right now we're confirmed for Fond.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Robert Broder

#37 Post by Robert Broder » September 24th, 2010, 7:44 am

Returned to Gemelli's (BYOB-$3 per bottle corkage) in Narberth last night with 2 friends to kill some Barolo (a G. Conterno and 2 Monprivatos). Mixed reviews. Unlike many Italian restaurants where pastas are shown as a second course, they are combined here with other entrees, and the non-pasta entree choices are very limited, i.e., 1 beef, 1 chicken and 3 fish/shellfish (no veal). That said, our soup appetizer was very good, and, as usual, the 2 pastas we shared were great (delicious and very large portions). We opted for the strip steak with polenta to go with the Barolos. Decent, but overpriced at $29. I will return, but unless more entree choices are offered , I will limit myself to appetizers and pasta. Pleasant place, decent service, great pastas, but minimal entree selections. By the way, the wines were very good.

Joshua Roberts

#38 Post by Joshua Roberts » September 24th, 2010, 9:54 am

Bibou posted a Twitter picture last night with Charlotte and Pierre, the proprietors, alongside The Palate. He must have paid a visit for dinner.

Joshua Roberts

#39 Post by Joshua Roberts » September 24th, 2010, 10:57 am

And here is the Philly.com blurb about it, which (I'm guessing) quotes from the Hedonist's Gazette.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the- ... Bibou.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 27th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:Finally got to Bibou on Sunday...and a few other things I am forgetting right now.
Hopefully the Parker buzz doesn't cause any changes. Really nice little place. My condolences on some of the vinous misfortunes.

RT

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 6th, 2010, 6:23 am

Brent Clayton wrote:Matyson is a long-known favorite in Philly.

I'll second this one. We dined there recently. Pure BYOB and I don't think we were even charged a corkage fee. I posted a review on my blog for anybody interested.
wineismylife

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 6th, 2010, 6:27 am

As of the end of September both were still BYOB allow both might be seeking a license:

Garces Trading Company
http://www.garcestradingcompany.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fond
http://fondphilly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't believe we were charged corkage at either place.
wineismylife

John Mc

#43 Post by John Mc » October 15th, 2010, 10:22 am

Bob Hughes wrote:http://koozeedoo.com/

Finally got to KZD

Wife, Father in law and twin 1 years olds so we went right went it opened @ 5:30

incredible meal

the portions are huge and meant to be shared

fresh baked still warm bread

my boys split the vegetable shepard pie

the 3 adults split the chicken gizzards and potato/salt cod croquettes for apps

and the seafood stew and steak/potatos for main course

we took home leftovers of both main course

we also got the special desert to go (kids were tired) and it was great as well

the wine we brought, a duoro and a cali cab was secondary to the meal

can't wait to go back

Mc Carroll

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Bob Hughes » October 16th, 2010, 12:53 pm

John, next time you go think about the pork & clams and the baked duck rice. The first is a very tasty rendition of a traditional Portuguese combination, and the 2nd dish is also excellent.

BTW, a little off topic, but I think you mentioned Modo Mio when the thread first opened - I stopped by for a couple sandwiches at Paesano's the other day, and the Gustaio is off the hook - roast lamb sausage, cherry mostarda, etc!

John Mc

#45 Post by John Mc » October 18th, 2010, 10:42 am

Bob Hughes wrote:John, next time you go think about the pork & clams and the baked duck rice. The first is a very tasty rendition of a traditional Portuguese combination, and the 2nd dish is also excellent.

BTW, a little off topic, but I think you mentioned Modo Mio when the thread first opened - I stopped by for a couple sandwiches at Paesano's the other day, and the Gustaio is off the hook - roast lamb sausage, cherry mostarda, etc!

will definitely be going back to KZD

as for Paesono's - off the hook ....we had friends over last week and I ordered 15 sammys and they cut them up into 4 and had them on a platter for us ...addicting

Mc Carroll

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#46 Post by Jorge Henriquez » October 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

Gents,

Planning a birthday weekend getaway to Philly in two weeks. Just the wife and I. Already made reservations at Matyson for Friday. Looking for a recommendation for Saturday night. Not looking for anything too fancy or $$$$. Thoughts on Cochon or Koozeedo? Something else entirely? Wife's not crazy about Asian in general. Since Matyson is "American" was interested in comfort French or something along that rustic, stick to your ribs style fare. We're staying near the convention center on Race St. We are driving, but would rather not have to go too too far.

Also, could any of you recommend a good place for cheesesteaks? Wife loves them.

Thanks in advance.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#47 Post by Jorge Henriquez » October 21st, 2010, 11:51 am

Update:

Koozeeda is out. She saw the portion sizes and the lack of seafood options (apparently she likes Portuguese for fish, not meat).

One last question, since my birthday is on Saturday, should I change Matyson for then or are other options a "nicer" night out?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Bob Hughes » October 21st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Jorge, if you can get into Bibou, to me that is the quintessential example of "comfort food" French cooking - I will be dining there once again this Sunday, and am definitely looking forward to foie gras, bone marrow, snails and whatever else the chef might throw our way.

But my primary reason for posting is your inquiry regarding cheesesteaks - my boss and I have been on a mission over the last year or so to savor some of the best Philly has to offer, and we both remain convinced that the cheesesteak served at John's Roast Pork in south Philly is at the apex of the Philly cheesesteak pyramid. Deciding who is in 2nd place would be a tougher debate, but John's was singularly good, IMO.

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Bob Hughes » October 21st, 2010, 6:27 pm

BTW, Jorge, I don't know what kind of Portuguese seafood your wife was looking for, but the grilled sardines are excellent, and both the bacalhau in cream sauce and the bacalhau salad are also quite tasty.

Joshua Roberts

#50 Post by Joshua Roberts » October 23rd, 2010, 1:47 pm

On the BYO front, I'd follow Bibou on Twitter or keep calling (if not on Twitter) if they are booked. There are occasional cancellations they post. On the low key, but non-BYO front, Adsum is getting a good amount of buzz. I enjoyed it but I was surprised with the absolutely glowing review by the local critic of record. Nice wine selections on the low key side. I enjoy Meme a lot, in the Fitler Sq. area. Used to be a BYO, but is not anymore. High quality but low key wine selection and small corkage. Hoof & Fin, an Argentinian BYO off of Bainbridge is getting some good attention but I've never been there.

Return to “BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants”