Which Champagne are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nathan V.

Re: Which Champagne are you drinking?

#2251 Post by Nathan V. »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:58 pm
Nathan V. wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:46 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:15 pm

I hear you, John. I was buying 2009 Cristal for close to the $200 mark. Maybe it's an unfair comparison, but it's hard to compete with that wine.
Lately, so many of my favorites have skyrocketed in price. Egly-Ouriet, Vilmart Emotion and Coeur, Pierre Peters Chetillons and Montjolys, Deutz Amour, Taittinger Comtes. Pretty soon, $200 will seem like a bargain. I'd get a night job, but then I won't have time to drink champagne!

Cheers,
Warren

Warren
Sapience is a rare and interesting Champagne. It might also be made without sulfur. It has absolutely nothing in common with any grand marques, Peters or Vilmart. If I had to compare it to something else, it's the Marguet that reminds me most of a Lahaye wine. If you've got the scratch, it's worth trying to see if it's your thing instead of another bottle of something you already know, IMO. I also prefer it with a meal.

I tend to drink mostly Extra Brut and Brut Nature Champagne and very few grand marques*, so take that into account. Warren drinks more broadly, so going with his rec might be better.

* I buy some Cristal and like Krug and Taitinger Comtes but don't buy them because the bottles are too annoying to deal with.
Nathan,
I've yet to try Lahaye, but have some 2015 Brut Nature Le Jardin de la Grosse Pierre pending.
I didn't mean to suggest Marguet was similar in style to Vilmart or Cristal, just that I try to compare my level of enjoyment and intrigue amongst those wines.
I also agree with you about annoyingly large bottles. The Sapience is also in that category.
Warren
Lahaye was on the brain because I have had a couple of recent bottles of Jardin de la Grosse Pierre, 2012 and 2014. I loved them. It's a very singular wine. Curious to see what you think.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you said they were similar.

And a big yes to the annoying bottle. I only buy a few and have to keep them in the boxes to store. Both Lahaye and Collin have nice normal bottles. I'd buy even more Vilmart if it came in normal bottles.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2252 Post by Warren Taranow »

Yikes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Nathan V.

#2253 Post by Nathan V. »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm Yikes
There is a local restaurant, that is somewhat of the hipster variety, which serves a 40oz of High Life with Champagne flutes. We like the restaurant and still go but the combination of a natural-ish wine list with this winking lowbrow/highbrow is a bit much and not nearly as cute as they think it is.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2254 Post by Phil T r o t t e r »

Nathan V. wrote: August 4th, 2021, 6:02 am
There is a local restaurant, that is somewhat of the hipster variety, which serves a 40oz of High Life with Champagne flutes. We like the restaurant and still go but the combination of a natural-ish wine list with this winking lowbrow/highbrow is a bit much and not nearly as cute as they think it is.
Well, there is also Belgian Bières de Champagne such as:
deus.jpg
https://www.belgianstyleales.com/produc ... gian-beers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2255 Post by K John Joseph »

Phil T r o t t e r wrote: August 4th, 2021, 6:46 am
Nathan V. wrote: August 4th, 2021, 6:02 am
Well, there is also Belgian Bières de Champagne such as:
deus.jpg
https://www.belgianstyleales.com/produc ... gian-beers
I had a good buddy in law school that always drank miller high life. I have had many enjoyable ice cold bottles on burning hot days in Dallas and, I hate to admit, wouldn't have traded those for champagne. I have also had the Deus beer, which is a nice beer with a distinct banana cream note to it, if I recall correctly. It is not worth the money, and I would def take champagne over that beer.
J0hn-J-K4ne

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2256 Post by CJ Beazley »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm Yikes, this will be very difficult to balance on my rail
FIFY
It's C(raig)

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2257 Post by Warren Taranow »

CJ Beazley wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:16 am
Warren Taranow wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:46 pm Yikes, this will be very difficult to balance on my rail
FIFY
I was just thinking last night I need a bigger rail. I know I’m setting myself up with the double entendres. [rofl.gif]

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2258 Post by Blake Brown »

2008 BOLLINGER LA GRANDE ANNEE BRUT- disgorged 10/18 at 8 gpl; made from 71% Pinot Noir, 29% Chardonnay sourced from 18 different Grand and 1er Cru vineyards; this is big, rich, powerful and totally approachable now as it has so much to offer, but so much more evolution to go through; toasty brioche provides a perfect accent to the yellow peach, apricot, honeysuckle and lemon zest; it has a creamy mousse and a long, sustained finish to confirm its seriousness; this is my 2nd bottle with consistent notes which strongly suggests holding off and opening up the next bottle in 3-5 years; wish me luck.

IMG_0789.jpeg
2008 PIPER HEIDSIECK RARE BRUT MILLESIME- following the 08` Bollie GA, this was quite the antithesis; 70% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir from 11 crus including Villers-Marmery, Vertus, Montgueux for Chardonnay and Aÿ, Verzy and Ambonnay for Pinot Noir; sees no oak, but full ML; it had tart tropical and citrus fruit notes with sour lemon, kumquat, tangerine and honeydew melon most noticeable along with a streak of mint, licorice and ginger; this is medium to full bodied, has a nice frothy mousse and bright acidity; for me, it’s better served with a good chill on it which gives it more crispiness and cut.

IMG_0796.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Yao C

#2259 Post by Yao C »

2004 Pierre Peters Chetillons
Round, mature, honeyed with nice zesty citrus fruit and a little apple as well; soft, creamy petillance combines with puffs of chalk to create a nice width in the mouth; if there's a criticism it's that it's less complex and interesting than I'd like compared to other vintages I've tasted, though at a good stage in its evolution; good plus
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2260 Post by Warren Taranow »

We had a Krug GC 168 eme with dinner last night. While it’s more influenced by younger vintages at the moment, the back vintages are by no means overshadowed. The 168 drinks well now. Delicious, long and energetic. Better in a decade, but there’s no foul opening one now.

CT - WST

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2261 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Yao C wrote: August 8th, 2021, 11:18 pm 2004 Pierre Peters Chetillons
Round, mature, honeyed with nice zesty citrus fruit and a little apple as well; soft, creamy petillance combines with puffs of chalk to create a nice width in the mouth; if there's a criticism it's that it's less complex and interesting than I'd like compared to other vintages I've tasted, though at a good stage in its evolution; good plus
How much life do you think this bottle has left in it?? Is this a wine you think can still go another decade or two?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2262 Post by K John Joseph »

2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Pale gold color with a fine bead. This is an exceptionally well balanced and enjoyable champagne in which the lemon oil, crushed rock, and jazz apple and paired beautifully with a subtle fresh baked dinner role note and a smokey, minty note I'm finding in better 2008 champagnes. A gorgeous wine with everything in balance. There is citrus and minerality, but also sweeter fruit and yeasty toast notes. There is power and acid. It is intense, but oh so fresh. An excellent champagne. 96-97

On a much weirder note:

Cascina Chicco Cuvee Zero VSQ Metodo Classico Dosage Zero - 100% Nebbiolo sparkling wine from Italy. 2016 disgorgement version. Vey pale in color, almost like a light sav blanc. Relatively fine bead. Bone dry, crisp acidity, but not thin. White cherry, lemon, chalky minerality, maybe a hint of violet. Not super complex, but actually quite enjoyable. Pretty quaffable, and would be a great sparkler for a pool party. 89-90. I won't be craving this, but am glad I tried it. Fun wine.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Yao C

#2263 Post by Yao C »

Kirk.Grant wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:33 am
Yao C wrote: August 8th, 2021, 11:18 pm 2004 Pierre Peters Chetillons
How much life do you think this bottle has left in it?? Is this a wine you think can still go another decade or two?
I'll drink my other bottle in 7-10 years but would be hesitant to push another decade beyond. But these are secondary market bottles we're talking about, and pristine bottles bought on release should be fresher
C . h . 0 . o . n . 6

MattG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2264 Post by MattG »

Agrapart & Fils 7 Crus Brut. Disgorged 2016. Crisp apple. Nice balance of green fruit, acid, and a hint of minerality. Fruit is the dominant flavor here. Maybe a hint of grapefruit as the wine warms. Not complex, but it’s refreshing. I don’t think this is a great food wine. Limited development after an hour. An example NV with cellar time, would be fun to compare with a more recent bottling to better understand how its matured.
5A3E4653-CE02-4DE7-A01E-1B76E112B842.jpeg
G@|’$1n

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2265 Post by Sean S y d n e y »

Vilmart Grande Réserve Premier Cru, June 2020 disgorgement

Strangely enough, I've never had this before; I've only ever had the Grand Cellier & above. This is a really nice and incisive Champagne, especially for the price; definitely more fruity than yeasty, with appealing red apple and just a wisp of chalk on the nose. It's fresh, bright, and generous, not particularly complex, with more of that lighter orchard fruit quality on the palate and a surprisingly long and mouthcoating finish.
Instagram: @seansydney

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2266 Post by Warren Taranow »

2004 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
A terrific showing for this wine. Red berries and orchard fruit, almond croissant and subtle balsamic. Early maturity but still fresh. I drifted away from VC a decade ago, but need to increase my purchases again. This was a fine bottle.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2267 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 11th, 2021, 11:11 pm 2004 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
A terrific showing for this wine. Red berries and orchard fruit, almond croissant and subtle balsamic. Early maturity but still fresh. I drifted away from VC a decade ago, but need to increase my purchases again. This was a fine bottle.
I'd like to think this is a positive for LGD, but I'm still skeptical. After way too many oxidized bottles from 1990 and 1995 and 1996 and 1998 and 1999, I'm not yet a believer of any ability to age gracefully and also have taken a 10 year sabbatical. And 2004 was not all that great of a vintage IMHO; so, this is ONE plus. Are there others?
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2268 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: August 12th, 2021, 8:33 am
Warren Taranow wrote: August 11th, 2021, 11:11 pm 2004 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
I'd like to think this is a positive for LGD, but I'm still skeptical. After way too many oxidized bottles from 1990 and 1995 and 1996 and 1998 and 1999, I'm not yet a believer of any ability to age gracefully and also have taken a 10 year sabbatical. And 2004 was not all that great of a vintage IMHO; so, this is ONE plus. Are there others?
Blake
All I own are a couple of ‘04 and ‘06, as well as a few ‘08s. The ‘04 last night seemed destined to endure. I’ll go deeper if the rest show well.
Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2269 Post by Josh Grossman »

I could have sworn this was mostly chard with dominant flavors of nougat, apples, and bread. Not really what I was looking for in a blanc de noirs.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2270 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: August 12th, 2021, 8:53 am
Blake Brown wrote: August 12th, 2021, 8:33 am
Blake
All I own are a couple of ‘04 and ‘06, as well as a few ‘08s. The ‘04 last night seemed destined to endure. I’ll go deeper if the rest show well.
Cheers
Warren
Thanks for taking one for the troops Warren. I'd go for it if your findings are positive. 2006 and especially 2008 should be as good as it can get.
Napolean Bonaparte

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2271 Post by K John Joseph »

Josh Grossman wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:25 am I could have sworn this was mostly chard with dominant flavors of nougat, apples, and bread. Not really what I was looking for in a blanc de noirs.
That is disappointing. My experience with that wine has been peach, white cherry, graham cracker and a hint of marzipan and a vibrant, vinous wine in which I swear you almost get a pop of tannins in your champagne. I will say that this wine appears to be hit or miss based on reviews in this thread. A decent number of hard dislikes and a decent number of thumbs up. I've enjoyed the couple I've had over the past year or two. Usually a very intense wine.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2272 Post by Charlie Carnes »

I believe the house has greatly improved lately! Still not my goto, but much better in a pinch, or off of a substandard wine list, etc. Some of the LGD and regular rosé, can be quite desirable.
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2273 Post by Charlie Carnes »

On he other hand... My son is leaving to go back to college so we always do a big dinner, with big wines. Last night we had three champagnes. The Ruinart Rosé, Pierre Moncuit Rosé, and an utterly fantastic Krug 164, this was maybe the best example yet of this ever so slightly variable bottle of Champagne. To be sure the family was riding a high of all being together, cooking perfect Beef Wellington, Dauphinois Potatoes, and my sons poached deep water lobster tails. The Krug was perfect. It had tart orchard fruit, light and nimble, saturated with mineral perceptions, it was airy, textured, full bodied, rich in a way, but so light. I'm oscillating, maybe because the wine was. Anyway, I love Krug when its on!
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2274 Post by Blake Brown »

Charlie Carnes wrote: August 14th, 2021, 7:24 am On he other hand... My son is leaving to go back to college so we always do a big dinner, with big wines. Last night we had three champagnes. The Ruinart Rosé, Pierre Moncuit Rosé, and an utterly fantastic Krug 164, this was maybe the best example yet of this ever so slightly variable bottle of Champagne. To be sure the family was riding a high of all being together, cooking perfect Beef Wellington, Dauphinois Potatoes, and my sons poached deep water lobster tails. The Krug was perfect. It had tart orchard fruit, light and nimble, saturated with mineral perceptions, it was airy, textured, full bodied, rich in a way, but so light. I'm oscillating, maybe because the wine was. Anyway, I love Krug when its on!
Nice post and wonderful share with your son. Also love the 164 eme and agree, when Krug is on, it's so good. And your 2 roses have been house wines for years, especially the Ruinart. Way to go.
Napolean Bonaparte

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2275 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Blake, I totally agree on the house roses. They are staples for me as well!

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2276 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Happy to say we’ve been drinking a lot of champagne lately! Most have been excellent, some have been merely good, and only a few disappointments. Here are some brief notes on bottles since the start of August:

NV Ulysse Collin Champagne Extra Brut Blanc de Noirs Les Maillons – fantastic showing, knocked my socks off and made me smile. Stunning nose of pistachios, cardamom and pastry with cream. Loved every sip of it.

2012 Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Rosé – my first bottle out of a case of this. Very pleasant, if a bit two dimensional at this point. Lots of promise, though, just needs some time I think. Punches above its price point for sure.

NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut – May 6, 2020 disgorgement. After dinner bottle, in GGG stems. More deep and powerful than previous disgorgments. A more serious wine. JR thought it might still be a bit travel awkward, but truly not much to complain about. Hope to have the opportunity to try this next to the Extra Brut version disgorged at the same time.

1996 Bollinger Grande Année (magnum) – this wine is getting a little tired in 750, in my experience, but in magnum it is still excellent, though perhaps not as fantastic as a couple of years ago. We drank half of this mag with friends before dinner and half after dinner, and found the second half even better than the first.

NV Bérêche et Fils Champagne Reflet d'Antan – a champagne I normally like a lot, this suffered from that weird lactic thing I get sometimes on champagne, chardonnay and the occasional other white wine. Tasted like sour milk to such an extent that it went down the drain.

NV Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières – beautiful bottle, really classy, powerful and expressive with effortless elegance. For all it was wonderful, though, I think I might have preferred the bottle of the more modest Maillons enjoyed a week or so before.

NV David Leclapart Champagne Premier Cru L'Astre Blanc de Noirs Pas Dosé - another miss with this bottle. It was awkward, disjointed and not very pleasant. I did not finish my first pour. I have not yet been impressed with the few Leclapart wines I’ve had, so maybe they are simply not my style, but I found this to be a mess.

Krug Grande Cuvée 169 eme – young and still tight, but still completely delightful and friendly, with great promise for the future. My first time with this version, and glad I have some in the cellar. We had it with smoked fish for breakfast, and it effortlessly handled the fats and flavors. Loved it.

NV Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Rosé – my total favorite rosé champagne in the world, hands down. It never disappoints, especially with age. This one was July 2014 disgorgement, a version that is on fire right now. Gorgeous.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2277 Post by Al Osterheld »

Nice wines (mostly). Note that the Ulysse Collin champagnes are all single vintage (denoted by a lot number on the back). The Bereche Reflet d'Antan is essentially a solera, I forget whether the base or disgorgement date is listed on the back.

-Al

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2278 Post by Neal.Mollen »

K John Joseph wrote: August 12th, 2021, 11:33 am
Josh Grossman wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:25 am I could have sworn this was mostly chard with dominant flavors of nougat, apples, and bread. Not really what I was looking for in a blanc de noirs.
That is disappointing. My experience with that wine has been peach, white cherry, graham cracker and a hint of marzipan and a vibrant, vinous wine in which I swear you almost get a pop of tannins in your champagne. I will say that this wine appears to be hit or miss based on reviews in this thread. A decent number of hard dislikes and a decent number of thumbs up. I've enjoyed the couple I've had over the past year or two. Usually a very intense wine.
I think it is very distinctive, and thus can be polarizing. I like it
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Zachary Mancini

#2279 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Have you had the 08? I have two of those I’m holding.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2280 Post by Warren Taranow »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 14th, 2021, 11:14 am
Have you had the 08? I have two of those I’m holding.
I’m holding out on that and most of my other 2008’s.

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2281 Post by Warren Taranow »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: August 14th, 2021, 10:27 am
2012 Louis Roederer Champagne Brut Rosé – my first bottle out of a case of this. Very pleasant, if a bit two dimensional at this point. Lots of promise, though, just needs some time I think. Punches above its price point for sure.

NV Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Rosé – my total favorite rosé champagne in the world, hands down. It never disappoints, especially with age. This one was July 2014 disgorgement, a version that is on fire right now. Gorgeous.
Sarah

My last bottle of ‘12 Roederer Rosé was in an odd stage of development. I drank a bunch young, then held on to a few. It was great for the first couple of years after release. I’m holding my last few bottles for a while.
We agree on the Egly-Ouriet Rosè. It’s one of my three favorites, along with Vilmart Emotion and Amour de Deutz (I think I mentioned that trifecta in a different thread yesterday). Cuvèe Elisabeth Salmon is great as well.

Cheers
Warren

CT - WST

M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2282 Post by M.Kaplan »

Greg K wrote: July 24th, 2021, 1:15 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: July 24th, 2021, 11:30 am
Greg K wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:52 am 2004 Krug, which I think is now in a pretty happy place. About a year ago I recall a thread where some posited it was too acidic - I think it's the best Krug vintage made in the 2000s and it's really starting to show it now. I liked it a lot more than the 2003 Krug I had out of mag a few days earlier which I find too round for me, personally.
Greg,

It's been a couple of years since I've opened one. I didn't think it was too acidic, just too young.
Opening my Krug vintage (and GC) before 20 years always gives me some apprehension. I've never disliked one, but I like them so much more with age. I'm glad to hear the 2004 is coming around.

Cheers,
Warren
Warren, certainly wasn’t referring to you! I also like my Krug with age on it, though we’re pretty close to 20 years now. I’ve had it twice in the last couple weeks (from unrelated sources) - I wouldn’t hesitate to open one to try.
Last night I opened the first 2004 Krug from a purchase I made a year ago. After drinking a friend's bottle right after purchase, which was very tight and laser-like, I waited a year to open my first bottle from the box and I'm very happy that I did. The wine still has plenty of acid, but it has put on some weight and a little hazelnut complexity. Very good, with room for improvement. I strongly lean toward Krug's leaner vintages/editions and liked this bottle quite a bit.
—Mark

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2283 Post by Phil T r o t t e r »

NV Fresne Ducret Champagne Le Chemin du Chemin Premier Cru Brut - France, Champagne (8/12/2021)
40% Pinot Noir, 25% Pinot Meunier, 35% Chard, dosage: 4.5g/l, lot: L032011. No disgorgement date nor any info on reserve wines.

Good. This has a rather serious profile. A lot of fruits on the nose (apricots, nectarines) followed by warm pralines. The palate is rich and broad showing a lot of brioche and spices with a touch of exotic fruits. The texture is initially creamy but the finish is more incisive and ends on salted almonds. Enjoyable and with a distinct signature. I would buy again.

Zachary Mancini

#2284 Post by Zachary Mancini »

I’m a newbie in regards to Champagne. I currently have two bottles of 07 Comtes and 08 Comtes as well as 2 bottles of VC La grande dame. What else should I be looking at? I know cristal but it’s pretty up there in price.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2285 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Al Osterheld wrote: August 14th, 2021, 10:54 am Nice wines (mostly). Note that the Ulysse Collin champagnes are all single vintage (denoted by a lot number on the back). The Bereche Reflet d'Antan is essentially a solera, I forget whether the base or disgorgement date is listed on the back.

-Al
Al - that's what I had always heard about Ulysse Collin wines, but looking at the reviews, most of them seem to include 50% or sometimes more reserve wine from the previous vintage. From William Kelley's note on the Maillons (2016), for example: "Disgorged in March 2020 with 2.4 grams per liter dosage, the NV Extra Brut Blanc de Noirs Les Maillons (2016) is based on the 2016 vintage, complemented by 50% reserve wines from 2015."

He makes similar notes on other versions of the Maillons and Pierrières.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2286 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:48 pm I’m a newbie in regards to Champagne. I currently have two bottles of 07 Comtes and 08 Comtes as well as 2 bottles of VC La grande dame. What else should I be looking at? I know cristal but it’s pretty up there in price.
Zachary, I'll jump in with a couple of comments. First, the ones you list are all Grand Marques so if you want to fill out that echelon, then at least add Cristal, Krug, Dom Perignon and Salon. Then go to small growers like Pierre Peters, Egly-Ouriet, Vilmart, Pierre Moncuit and the like and try them out and compare. There's so many more.

Also, IMHO, I find that some houses are really great across the board such as Louis Roederer. Taste through their entire lineup of NV and vintage champagnes all the yea up to Cristal. The 2008 Louis Roederer Brut is rocking right now, but so is the Laurent-Perrier and the ..........

You are in a great place right now to explore and discover what your palate preferences are and it's a fun journey. Enjoy.
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2287 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 15th, 2021, 8:51 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:48 pm I’m a newbie in regards to Champagne. I currently have two bottles of 07 Comtes and 08 Comtes as well as 2 bottles of VC La grande dame. What else should I be looking at? I know cristal but it’s pretty up there in price.
Zachary, I'll jump in with a couple of comments. First, the ones you list are all Grand Marques so if you want to fill out that echelon, then at least add Cristal, Krug, Dom Perignon and Salon. Then go to small growers like Pierre Peters, Egly-Ouriet, Vilmart, Pierre Moncuit and the like and try them out and compare. There's so many more.

Also, IMHO, I find that some houses are really great across the board such as Louis Roederer. Taste through their entire lineup of NV and vintage champagnes all the yea up to Cristal. The 2008 Louis Roederer Brut is rocking right now, but so is the Laurent-Perrier and the ..........

You are in a great place right now to explore and discover what your palate preferences are and it's a fun journey. Enjoy.
Thanks! Yes I'm looking for the Grand Marques of each House. I'm waiting for the Dom 12 to come out this fall and splurge on that. I'll look at the 08 Louis Roederer Brut. What else from LR do you recommend? Thanks!

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2288 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 15th, 2021, 9:10 am

Thanks! Yes. I'll look at the 08 Louis Roederer Brut. What else from LR do you recommend? Thanks!
I suggest everything from LR. It's that same thing I do with Burgundy, as an example, when there is a poor or questionable vintage, I go with the house/ producer in many case.
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2289 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 15th, 2021, 9:13 am

Thanks! Yes. I'll look at the 08 Louis Roederer Brut. What else from LR do you recommend? Thanks!
I suggest everything from LR. It's that same thing I do with Burgundy, as an example, when there is a poor or questionable vintage, I go with the house/ producer in many case.
Perfect! Let me look into it. I'm usually a huge CA Cab collector, but trying to branch out with more Champagne and Chards.

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2290 Post by Blake Brown »

Zachary Mancini wrote: August 15th, 2021, 9:28 am

Perfect! Let me look into it. I'm usually a huge CA Cab collector, but trying to branch out with more Champagne and Chards.
Next up- Pinot Noir and red Burgundy
Napolean Bonaparte

Zachary Mancini

#2291 Post by Zachary Mancini »

Blake Brown wrote: August 15th, 2021, 10:49 am
Zachary Mancini wrote: August 15th, 2021, 9:28 am

Next up- Pinot Noir and red Burgundy
That's too much ahaha

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2292 Post by Jim Stewart »

Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru. Excellent! The first of a couple of bottles purchased after reading some very positive comments by W.K. posted here on WB a while back. On the fruity side of Brut, leesy undertone, just right acid vivacity, balance above all. A treat!
0B8AB368-3C1B-4BAC-89AE-9EC963293325.jpeg
E21246E2-F9B1-4854-B208-F5EDFB226575.jpeg
ain’t got the do re mi
-Woody Guthrie

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2293 Post by CJ Beazley »

From a half bottle-even though this is ‘brut’ it comes across has having a very light dose, which I like. Just a bit too much of an oxidative note, which I don’t like. Overall not bad with a lite appetizer
It's C(raig)

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2294 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread soon to be posted:

2002 MOET & CHANDON GRAND VINTAGE BRUT- it had been 4 years since I last had this champagne which some of our group refer to as “baby Dom” and it was very obvious this bottle had some age on it, but not to a fault nor oxidative state; certainly the fruit profile was advanced from what is was previously as it had peach, apricot, tangerine and ripe lemon in the nose and on the palate along with a hint of brioche; having brilliant acidity, it was delivered in a creamy, oily textured medium that carried all of the goodness to the back end where it just hung on for a Grand finish; here is another fine 2002 that is in its wheelhouse right now; 51% Chardonnay, 26% Pinot Noir, 23% Pinot Meunier.

IMG_0806.jpeg
NV KRUG GRANDE CUVEE 163 eme EDITION- 375 ml; not my bring although I`ve had a few half bottles in the last few months of the same edition which is 73% based on 2007 and ranges from 1990 to 2007 in the blend of 183 reserves; dosage is 6 gpl; as with my purchase, this bottle came from a release about 5 years ago and has matured significantly; following its yellow gold color came aromas of lemon, apple and peach which continued on to be joined by mandarin and a hint of hazelnut and caramel; missing was a nice touch of white cherries I got in the last bottle a couple of weeks ago; the house claims they do not age the half bottle formats as long as the 750s, but IMHO it is aging faster and is getting closer to its apogee, so recommend opening sooner than later.

IMG_0809.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2295 Post by K John Joseph »

Jim Stewart wrote: August 15th, 2021, 4:12 pm Egly-Ouriet Brut Grand Cru. Excellent! The first of a couple of bottles purchased after reading some very positive comments by W.K. posted here on WB a while back. On the fruity side of Brut, leesy undertone, just right acid vivacity, balance above all. A treat!
I am a big fan of this wine. I've had the pleasure of quite a few of them this year and your note is on the money. It's a slightly darker hue than some, and has nice leesy goodness, which I'd consider party of its signature, but serious fruit intensity and vivacious acidity. Serious champagne, and dense.
J0hn-J-K4ne

rick m

#2296 Post by rick m »

just had '04 cristal and was drinking wonderfully
rick matsui

Zachary Mancini

#2297 Post by Zachary Mancini »

rick m wrote: August 17th, 2021, 4:21 pm just had '04 cristal and was drinking wonderfully
Sounds amazing. I’ve been buying a lot of red CA wine recently. Need to look at buying some cristal.

Warren Taranow
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2298 Post by Warren Taranow »

Had a really nice 2014 Hebrart Special Club from a magnum tonight. I wasn’t expecting it to be so open. If it weren’t for the lack of racking to accommodate the special club bottles, I’d probably be buying a bunch of the 750’s and a few more 1500’s. It’s a stellar bottle of champagne.

CT - WST

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2299 Post by Blake Brown »

Extracted from a thread to be posted in day or so:

2012 DELAMOTTE BLANC de BLANC MILLESIME BRUT- consistent with past notes; served in Sophienwald Grand Cru champagne glass as seen in the background; 60% of the fruit sourced for this comes from les Mesnil-sur-Oger, Ovize and Oger with 20% equal parts from each and the remainder of the fruit comes from Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry; as with previous bottles I've had, it is spectacular, having such an inviting nose of fragrant yellow roses and stone fruit which on the palate more specifically included peach, apricot, Golden Delicious apple, lemon and a hit of pear arriving late; it had a wondrous creamy, rich, honey-like mouthfeel which served to enhanced the long, satisfying finish; this is marvelous bubbly now and has all of the structure to be great in the years to come.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#2300 Post by K John Joseph »

This thread is a great enabler for me. My older sons know where my champagne is in my wine storage room at the house. Way too many times I've found my self perusing this thread on a break at work only to be on the phone with my son 5 minutes later telling him which bottle to put in the fridge so it's cold when I get home. I'm thinking Charles Heidsieck tonight.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Return to “Wine Talk”