Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

#151 Post by JDavisRoby »

The internet and its forums are a funny place. What other place is it okay to openly disparage someones business right in their face? Would you walk into the lobby of a business and campaign potential customers to not do business with the business?

I get you’re upset at something but if you believe the point value is so bad to begin with why you do care so much? Are you trying to save the masses from what you perceive to be a bad deal?

I have no dog in this fight other than a quixotic belief the world can return to a more civil place someday.
These users thanked the author JDavisRoby for the post (total 3):
Bruce Rudman, matthewgoldman, EAScrog
Joshu@

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Won H. L e e »

Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:24 pm
Won H. L e e wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:14 pm
Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Won, I am not great at math as you are but I will try. :)

It's 5% with a partner + 2% with the merchant where you spent the most per billing statement.
It's 3% at wineries/wine.com etc + %2 just like above.

Done carefully, you would get 7% at a partner and 5% at wine.com per month -- which could net you 4.2 cents per dollar spent with a partner and 3 cents at wine.com. That beats Sapphire, IMHO. Also, beats Chase Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited which would give you 2.25 (1.5 x 1.5) cents per dollar spent. Let's not discount $550 yearly Reserve fees.

I have only scanned the catalog of goodies. Based on some examples, Riedel Sommelier glasses would give me .6 cents/point. ProofLoyalty is at .5 cents/point.

Hilton Honors program gives me .5 cents/point. So, this is in the ballpark for redemption, a little better actually.

I had not signed up for the previous program. I don't quite understand why you are so upset at .4 cents/point. It's not great like Hyatt at 1.8-2 cents/point but it's not too far off from Hilton. And it was for free!

My belief: this card would be useful for people who spend quite a bit on wines per year. If you spend $7500 per year at partners, you will come out ahead compared to Reserve. No?

except that's not how math works. Not all points are created equal, and GRW has specified that each point is worth 0.4 cents. Therefore, you get 7 POINTS (not dollars) at the max category listed above. 7 pts *.4 cents = 2.1 cents per dollar spend. and much less elsewhere. You may get a slightly better value by aiming for specific rewards as specified, but it isn't much.

Chase reserve is priced at $450 (they don't plan to increase the cost). but you get $300 back each year, anything that is considered a travel, including hotel/flight/rental car, so it's more of $150 per yr. + more benefit than what this card offers.
Also, YMMV but many wineries I have purchased counted as dining/travel, and thereby being credited with 3 points per dollar spent; heck even garagiste wine was considered food/drink purchase, and thereby earning 3 points. Each chase pt could be valued at 1.5 cent, so that's 4.5% return. What's better option then?

Look, I am not flaming their old program. I was a fan, signed up, enjoyed it. I get it that they don't make much $$ off of it compare to the credit card, but to give customer only short notice with expiration, so take it or leave it is what left bad taste in my mouth. It felt like they were trying to hook people onto service, and then switch bait to credit card.
I think you are still missing something here. Yes, I understand that the cashback value of the expiring program is 0.4. However, redemption value for something like Riedel Sommelier is 0.6. So, 7 x 0.6 is 4.2.

In the interest of learning, how do you know beforehand that CSR would give you 3% at a winery before you make the charge?

Also, on the point of the previous program -- why not redeem whatever points you have from the old program for something you want? Whatever is left is likely too insignificant even if you were to get 0.4 cents/point.

YMMV with redemption. You can find Riedel Som glasses on sale, which would lower the redemption cost, but I think we are just disagreeing on point valuation, and that happens with every point currency, so no need to debate there.

I can't vouch for all wineries, but i have noticed many wineries being categorized that way, and furthermore, i'd make a small purchase (before say diving into a big purchase) to see how CSR (or say amex gold) categorize the spending.

I am, but don't have much on the offer sheet that i can get with the points... for items that I would want.

cheers.

Bruce Rudman

#153 Post by Bruce Rudman »

JDavisRoby wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:43 pm
I have no dog in this fight other than a quixotic belief the world can return to a more civil place someday.
This is my hope in every arena.

I cannot even imagine taking the time to calculate the comparisons and participate on the foregoing scale in these complaints about points on their luxury credit cards. Not happy with the free card then don't renew it next year when they want to charge a fee. That simple.

To me, I'd rather just enjoy the wine I bought in the free glasses they sent!
These users thanked the author Bruce Rudman for the post (total 4):
JDavisRoby, Dan Hammer, matthewgoldman, Dave Gottschalk
Bruce

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#154 Post by matthewgoldman »

Hi all - a quick note since a few folks asked and our catalog availability has improved again; thank you for your patience. I think all of the items that were mentioned are back as well as some other great new items such as SippingTHIS coasters, Glasvin Glasses, and some nice chocolates.

We always welcome your feedback on the catalog. If you want to see something please let me know and we will see if we can make it happen! Cheers!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Dan Hammer

#155 Post by Dan Hammer »

matthewgoldman wrote: February 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm Hi all - a quick note since a few folks asked and our catalog availability has improved again; thank you for your patience. I think all of the items that were mentioned are back as well as some other great new items such as SippingTHIS coasters, Glasvin Glasses, and some nice chocolates.

We always welcome your feedback on the catalog. If you want to see something please let me know and we will see if we can make it happen! Cheers!
When can we expect to see travel items, such as hotels back up?
This space for rent.

Brian Tuite

#156 Post by Brian Tuite »

Little snippet of info for you all. If you make your payment on acct with a checking acct ACH transaction your acct is not credited with the payment for 7-10 days. So, although I have paid my acct on 2-11-21 (prior to the statement even hitting) I have no open to buy until 2-23-21.

So, in essence, if you pay a balance that is 1/2 or more of your credit line with your bank acct your card is only good for 20 days a month.

This is the first card or credit acct of any kind that I have ever had that has this kind of policy. Very consumer unfriendly. Thanks but no thanks.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#157 Post by matthewgoldman »

Dan Hammer wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:21 pm
matthewgoldman wrote: February 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm Hi all - a quick note since a few folks asked and our catalog availability has improved again; thank you for your patience. I think all of the items that were mentioned are back as well as some other great new items such as SippingTHIS coasters, Glasvin Glasses, and some nice chocolates.

When can we expect to see travel items, such as hotels back up?
Hotel availability is very limited due to COVID-19 and the capacity restrictions. At this time I wouldn't hazard a guess on when hotel deals will be back in the ProofLoyalty store.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#158 Post by matthewgoldman »

Brian Tuite wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:27 am Little snippet of info for you all. If you make your payment on acct with a checking acct ACH transaction your acct is not credited with the payment for 7-10 days. So, although I have paid my acct on 2-11-21 (prior to the statement even hitting) I have no open to buy until 2-23-21.

So, in essence, if you pay a balance that is 1/2 or more of your credit line with your bank acct your card is only good for 20 days a month.

This is the first card or credit acct of any kind that I have ever had that has this kind of policy. Very consumer unfriendly. Thanks but no thanks.
Brian - I messaged you privately about your account. I am here to listen, improve and respond. I do encourage you to contact us directly about account-specific issues.

Generally speaking, when payments are made via a checking or savings account, there may be up to a 7 business day hold on your account until the payment fully clears on our end, although typically 3 business days. The payment is recognized on the date it is made, although the open credit may reflect the payment hold.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by Ken Strauss »

Received and paid my 1st bill and was promptly credited 75,000 points.
I was happy to see in the catalog the bd12 special for glassl. Ordered
Thanks
These users thanked the author Ken Strauss for the post:
matthewgoldman
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Mike C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Mike C. »

The Nez du Vin aroma kit came back but unfortunately the point value was raised by nearly 10K points (I think it was 66.5K when I applied and now it is 75K). Still put in the order but not a great look.
h@0

Anthony C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#161 Post by Anthony C »

Mike C. wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:29 pm The Nez du Vin aroma kit came back but unfortunately the point value was raised by nearly 10K points (I think it was 66.5K when I applied and now it is 75K). Still put in the order but not a great look.
Yeah, I made a quick spreadsheet to compare the card to my other cashback card and I had the same number down for the Le Nez kit.

Looks like some items in the catalog are still about 150 to 170 points per dollar, but the Coravin capsules and Le Nez stuff I just checked went up to 187 points per dollar since I signed up. Using my purchasing habits that equates to about a 1.7% cash back card (at 167 points per dollar, it's more like a 1.9% cash back card). It will be interesting to see what the points per dollar of future catalog items are. Right now it's still barely a better deal than my bank's free card. The annual fee and what the points can actually buy will determine if it stays that way.
C u r t a s

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -- W. C. Fields

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#162 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

I found the following to be the best redemptions:

Grassl BD12 dozen/6
Sensory 4-pack
Gabriel Gold 2-pack
2016 Vineyard 7 & 8
2016 Palmaz

Would love to hear from the experts here.
Last edited by Kedar Dubhashi on February 20th, 2021, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#163 Post by Mark Morrissette »

One oddity on the Gabriel Gold glasses is that ordering a 6-pack costs more than ordering 3 two-packs. Only 100 points more, but still odd.
Anyway, order in, and I am very pleased!

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Li Chen »

Has anyone received the monthly 2X after statement posted? I do not see mine.

Brian Tuite

#165 Post by Brian Tuite »

Li Chen wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:00 am Has anyone received the monthly 2X after statement posted? I do not see mine.
?

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#166 Post by Li Chen »

Copy-pasted from GrandReserveCard.com

"Earn an additional 2 points per dollar at your top wine merchant (the winery or wine merchant where you spend the most) each month"

Brian Tuite

#167 Post by Brian Tuite »

Li Chen wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:05 am Copy-pasted from GrandReserveCard.com

"Earn an additional 2 points per dollar at your top wine merchant (the winery or wine merchant where you spend the most) each month"
Login and click on “Rewards Activity”

34D796A1-506B-461A-B357-6D91D8822D88.jpeg

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by Li Chen »

Brian, thanks. It's not yet posted to my account. Maybe it takes a few days.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#169 Post by matthewgoldman »

Li Chen wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:33 am Brian, thanks. It's not yet posted to my account. Maybe it takes a few days.
Generally speaking, the Top Wine Merchant bonus is based on calendar month, not your individual statement period. You should expect to see this bonus within a few days of the end of each calendar month. This may vary depending on the day of the week that any given month ends.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Just got my signup bonus!! Sadly all the Hanzell got swept up by those of you who were faster than me....

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#171 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Sensory 4 pack seems like the best deal.

Dan Hammer

#172 Post by Dan Hammer »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:24 pm Sensory 4 pack seems like the best deal.
I tasted these wines at a local NYC tasting several years ago. Craig from Sojourn suggested it.
This space for rent.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#173 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Dan Hammer wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:02 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:24 pm Sensory 4 pack seems like the best deal.
I tasted these wines at a local NYC tasting several years ago. Craig from Sojourn suggested it.
I’m referring to the conterno sensory glass. The 4 pack is usually ~400 so that’s about 0.8 cpp, or ~5.6% on the 7x pts.
These users thanked the author Mich@el Ch@ng for the post:
Dan Hammer

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#174 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

I'm gonna finally get a Coravin with my points...just waiting on the bonus
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Ken Strauss »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 7:23 am
Dan Hammer wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:02 am
I’m referring to the conterno sensory glass. The 4 pack is usually ~400 so that’s about 0.8 cpp, or ~5.6% on the 7x pts.
Just so you know Rare Wine sells the Conterno glass 4 pack for $300 with free shipping.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#176 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I know, I bought one of those packs, but they don’t always have them.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by Ken Strauss »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:14 am I know, I bought one of those packs, but they don’t always have them.
They have them now.
Why would you make that post knowing that they cost $300?

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by Li Chen »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:29 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:14 am I know, I bought one of those packs, but they don’t always have them.
They have them now.
Ken, I received mine from Rare Wine Co today. They are very pretty. Best redemption, IMHO.

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#179 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

They have them now.
Because that’s what they cost. Even at 300 it’s still the best value on there IMO.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#180 Post by Ken Strauss »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:34 pm
They have them now.
Because that’s what they cost. Even at 300 it’s still the best value on there IMO.
Ok
Thats ok!
Just pointing out that it’s a $300 comparison not $400

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

When you factor in taxes, the redemption value is really 0.66 cents/point.

I will do a side-by-side comparison between Zalto Burgundy, Sensory and Grassl Cru someday. :)

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#182 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Mark Morrissette wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:48 am One oddity on the Gabriel Gold glasses is that ordering a 6-pack costs more than ordering 3 two-packs. Only 100 points more, but still odd.
Anyway, order in, and I am very pleased!
Pretty awesome customer service experience on this. I ended up ordering 4 two-packs of GGG.

Soon after I did, the catalog price for ordering multiple GGGs changed (cheaper!). To be honest I had not gone back to look, and had not noticed yet.

But, I got an email from customer service last night, saying they had refunded me the difference in points between when I redeemed, and what they are valued at now. Over 30K points added back to my account!! Very proactive, unexpected, and frankly awesome, customer service!
These users thanked the author Mark Morrissette for the post:
matthewgoldman

Dan Hammer

#183 Post by Dan Hammer »

I got what I Deserve.

FYI.
My bill came in the mail today. The return address is marked Deserve. Under normal circumstances, I would have tossed this with the other junk mail. Good thing I didn't. It's the bill from my new card.
This space for rent.

EAScrog
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#184 Post by EAScrog »

Dan Hammer wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:30 am I got what I Deserve.

FYI.
My bill came in the mail today. The return address is marked Deserve. Under normal circumstances, I would have tossed this with the other junk mail. Good thing I didn't. It's the bill from my new card.
I switched to paperless after I paid my first bill. Easy to do.
e l i z a B e t h

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”