TN: Pliny the Younger

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Rick Joyer

TN: Pliny the Younger

#1 Post by Rick Joyer »

I was able to land a mixed case from the release at the end of January, which showed up yesterday. They say drink 'em fresh, so I figured why not Pobega one as soon as it chilled a bit more in the fridge?

I once stood in line for quite some time for a 4oz pour of the Younger a few years back (along with some other hard to come by IPAs). That was fun because of the crowd experience and the conversations, so I was interested to see what I thought with a full glass in a quiet setting. Meh. I like the Elder better to be honest. The Younger is hugely tropical (my wife immediately said "pineapple and mango"), resinous and a little sticky. It's (obviously) more intense than the Elder, which I get is a "pro" for some folks but for me, I think the Elder strikes a better balance of super hoppy, alcohol level and cleanliness on the palate of all of the Uber IPA's. Don't get me wrong, this was a fun drink, but if offered both I'd reach for the Elder first.

Regardless, I think it was really cool how the Brewery went about making these available to the public this year....kudos to them.

These users thanked the author Rick Joyer for the post (total 2):
Brent C l a y t o n, Brian Tuite

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: Pliny the Younger

#2 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Seeing this resell for $150 a bottle is laughable. Glad to see you didn’t get robbed at secondary.
Instagram at @akgrill

Alex N

#3 Post by Alex N »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:14 pm Seeing this resell for $150 a bottle is laughable. Glad to see you didn’t get robbed at secondary.
The buzzkill of the first sip of a $150 IPA must be earth shattering for those who paid anywhere near that price. First time I had it during a release for under $10 for a pint I ordered Blind Pig and passed on my 2nd pour of Younger. It's good but stories of 12hr waits and camping out on the street for an IIIPA, really? I still never would have thought Younger would have that kind of flippable return.
These users thanked the author Alex N for the post (total 2):
BRhoades, Brian G r a f s t r o m
@13x N1ch•!z

ClarkstonMark

#4 Post by ClarkstonMark »

Alex N wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:28 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:14 pm Seeing this resell for $150 a bottle is laughable. Glad to see you didn’t get robbed at secondary.
The buzzkill of the first sip of a $150 IPA must be earth shattering for those who paid anywhere near that price. First time I had it during a release for under $10 for a pint I ordered Blind Pig and passed on my 2nd pour of Younger. It's good but stories of 12hr waits and camping out on the street for an IIIPA, really? I still never would have thought Younger would have that kind of flippable return.
never underestimate beer fomo, especially for a beer that has basically never been available to 90+% of the US
These users thanked the author ClarkstonMark for the post:
BRhoades
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by BRhoades »

It's not even Russian Rivers best beer [wow.gif] I just roll my eyes when I hear of these obnoxious secondary market numbers, but there's always a sucker that will pony up and pay it. I have had my fair share of the Younger, it always has been at local So. Cal.pub's that tap kegs to celebrate that years release, a few times at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena and a few times at Beachwood Brewing and last year a kind friend sent me bottles from his visit to the brewery,I never stood in line or paid more than $10 a pint. It's a fun experience to share with friends.

Cheers,

Bud
These users thanked the author BRhoades for the post:
Brian G r a f s t r o m
It aint wine all the time~Bud

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by William Segui »

BRhoades wrote: February 15th, 2021, 4:35 pm
It's not even Russian Rivers best beer [wow.gif]
This is correct. I've been trying to get Vinnie to can/bottle the Hopfather but so far, no luck
These users thanked the author William Segui for the post:
BRhoades

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

+1. I acknowledge that people are free to spend their money as they see fit, but -- *for me* -- $150 for a bottle of IPA is sofa king stupid I don't really know what else to say. I struggle to think of any beer in the world I would even consider paying that kind of money for, except perhaps an extremely high-quality lambic with significant age on it (i.e.: Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze with 20+ years on it).
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Rick Joyer

#8 Post by Rick Joyer »

I hope everyone here takes the following comment in the spirit with which I offer it, which is in pure jest. That disclaimer aside, I have to chuckle at the irony of a bunch of wine-geeks who, by 99% of the World's standards, spend way too much money on wine sitting around commenting about the lunacy of beer geeks spending big money on a super rare/hard to come-by beer. [tease.gif]
These users thanked the author Rick Joyer for the post:
Brian G r a f s t r o m

jordan whitehead

#9 Post by jordan whitehead »

Rick Joyer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:30 pm I hope everyone here takes the following comment in the spirit with which I offer it, which is in pure jest. That disclaimer aside, I have to chuckle at the irony of a bunch of wine-geeks who, by 99% of the World's standards, spend way too much money on wine sitting around commenting about the lunacy of beer geeks spending big money on a super rare/hard to come-by beer. [tease.gif]
bunch of wine geeks=3 people
www.annaswish.org

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Rick Joyer wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:30 pm I hope everyone here takes the following comment in the spirit with which I offer it, which is in pure jest. That disclaimer aside, I have to chuckle at the irony of a bunch of wine-geeks who, by 99% of the World's standards, spend way too much money on wine sitting around commenting about the lunacy of beer geeks spending big money on a super rare/hard to come-by beer. [tease.gif]
Oh, don't get me wrong, I feel that paying 15x markups for wine is equally insane! [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

Furthermore, with most beers, there just isn't the huge range of quality and potential for a mind-blowing experience like there is with wine. As much as I looooove IPA, I have never had one that was so good I'd want to pay more than regular retail for it. I think there's a lot more room for "unique" and "irreplaceable" in the wine world than in the beer world.

And I say all that as someone who considers PtY to be the best TIPA I've ever had (it's been many years, however). I would give-up wine before I would beer, too. [drinkers.gif]
These users thanked the author Brian G r a f s t r o m for the post (total 2):
BRhoades, Mike Maguire
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

I drink bourbon, too, and frequently pay secondary pricing at times there (Weller FP at $225 is a great example). My comment on this was that the 15x mark-up was crazy.

Hey, if you've got it to spend, go for it. That said, can totally appreciate your point.
Instagram at @akgrill

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by William Segui »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 3:19 pm I drink bourbon, too, and frequently pay secondary pricing at times there (Weller FP at $225 is a great example). My comment on this was that the 15x mark-up was crazy.
And I’ve see WFP much higher than that. FWIW, through a long standing relationship I got a bottle for $58, so retail has to be somewhere in that ballpark

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Bruce Rudman »

This is spot on! Slightly over 1 1/2 pints fills a wine bottle. No different than buying a $225+ bottle of wine and a lot of us here do that. Whatever you enjoy.

At least the Weller on the secondary market for $299 gets you about 13 pours of Whisky (at 2 oz each). A relative bargain when you think of it!
Bruce

Return to “Beer and Spirits”