Europe Travel - Safe?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
patrick c albright
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Europe Travel - Safe?

#51 Post by patrick c albright »

I have had three friends in France test positive in the last three weeks.
One in Lyon, one in Paris, and one in a small town in Savoie.

The surge is real.
ITB

Francois Olivier

#52 Post by Francois Olivier »

Situation is not so bad than discribe on tv.
You must know that France we are testing a lot (first because one of test is french) and for us problems are more a question of organization or lack of beds in public hospitals.
Also for having more subvention and money, hostipal wright covid than pneumonia or fever.
Wesh ma poule

Nola Palomar

#53 Post by Nola Palomar »

I don’t know about Paris but in Granada it is bad. Below is the daily update from our little village Ugijar.
COVID-19 INFORMATION IN UGÍJAR Municipality (15.11.2020)
According to new data provided by the Ugíjar Health Center, the population is informed that no positive case has been confirmed today, so at this time there are still 4 active cases of coronavirus in our municipality. The infected people continue in isolation and house lockdown, to which we continue to send our best wishes and our greatest encouragement to cope as best as possible with this situation, thinking that Health comes first; the effort they are making is key and very important for all.
It is very important not to let our guard down, as we continue to have positive cases in the municipality and, if we trust, the data could be ignited again.
We remind you that all the Province of Granada is located in #Level 4, #Grade2, of #Alert so you can NOT leave or enter the municipality of Ugíjar without justified cause regulated by law, also all municipal facilities, including children's parks continue to be closed, except the Consistorial House, and all cultural, tourist and sports activities of municipal promotion continue to be suspended, in order to minimize the risks of contagion by Covid-19.
All official information about this will be brought to the attention of all the neighbors of Ugíjar by this means.
Together we will overcome this virus!
GO AND STRENGTH!!!
#JuntosPodemosLograrlo
#TodoSaldráBien
#EsteVirusLoParamosUnidos
#UgíjarTeInforma
#Ugíjar ❤ #Cherín 💚 #Jorairátar 💗
#LasCanteras 💙 #LosMontoros 💛
#LaAlpujarraLlenaDeVida ❤️💚💗💙💛
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#54 Post by Rick Allen »

Given Europe's vaccination problems, will there be a time this year when restaurants, museums, etc. will be fully open? Thinking of Italy in October...

Victor Hong

#55 Post by Victor Hong »

Rick Allen wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:07 am Given Europe's vaccination problems, will there be a time this year when restaurants, museums, etc. will be fully open? Thinking of Italy in October...
Which year?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... calculator
WineHunter.

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#56 Post by Rick Allen »

I was hoping this year. I'm not getting any younger...

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Victor Hong wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:14 am
Rick Allen wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:07 am Given Europe's vaccination problems, will there be a time this year when restaurants, museums, etc. will be fully open? Thinking of Italy in October...
Which year?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... calculator
OMG! You're not going to leave your apartment for 7 more years! [rofl.gif]
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Rick Allen wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:32 am I was hoping this year. I'm not getting any younger...
Same here. I was hoping to travel there in late June but I think that is overly optimistic.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Nola Palomar

#59 Post by Nola Palomar »

What I am hearing on the ground in Spain is, no. During the first phase they were able to keep the cases quelled. It is not controlled by any reasonable thought right now or for the near future. Their vaccine rollout is worse than ours...
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Victor Hong

#60 Post by Victor Hong »

Nola Palomar wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:11 pm What I am hearing on the ground in Spain is, no. During the first phase they were able to keep the cases quelled. It is not controlled by any reasonable thought right now or for the near future. Their vaccine rollout is worse than ours...
That was my point. But folks are welcome to scout out the situation there, and try to report back.
WineHunter.

Nola Palomar

#61 Post by Nola Palomar »

Good luck hoping, but I think tourism is out for a good while.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Albert R »

Paul Jaouen wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:35 am
Rick Allen wrote: February 5th, 2021, 11:32 am I was hoping this year. I'm not getting any younger...
Same here. I was hoping to travel there in late June but I think that is overly optimistic.
+1. I was hoping as well. Not looking so good at the moment.
@. Re-go

Victor Hong

#63 Post by Victor Hong »

Albert R wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:30 pm
+1. I was hoping as well. Not looking so good at the moment.
Even domestic sporting events, not involving international travel, are being cancelled or severely restricted.
For me, regattas seem out again, as in 2020.
WineHunter.

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#64 Post by Dan Hammer »

I'm sitting here tapping my fingers on the table. Good things come to those that wait, so we will wait Covid out. Do I have a choice?

This frequent flyer has spent some time in the air. My wife and I have seen a lot of this world, but still not enough. Last fall, we spent a weekend in the Catskills (or as the cool kids say, the Western Catskills - who knew??). We expect to do the same in the spring. We were hoping to see Mike Grammar this summer, but I expect Canada will still be closed.

From the NY Times >
For most people, going on vacation during the pandemic has been the stuff of dreams. But as vaccination becomes a reality, it’s time to start nurturing your travel imagination.
More in the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/trav ... ation.html
This space for rent.

mattlock

#65 Post by mattlock »

I’ve had a May/June trip to Umbria planned for ages with the wife and kids...house already booked. I’m all for optimism if anyone has any good news for me to cling on to...

PCLIN

#66 Post by PCLIN »

I am still hoping to travel sometimes in Q4/21, but it’s not looking good.
Chiu Lin

PatrickW
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by PatrickW »

Domestic travel seems like a realistic option if you have been vaccinated. Vaccine rollout should continue to improve. International travel may be another issue. Who knows what kind of restrictions will be in place...we're planning a trip to Washington wine country for late summer, with the hope that most wineries/restaurants will be open at least in a limited capacity or outdoors.
W e n g e r

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#68 Post by Jeff_M. »

Dan Hammer wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:41 am I'm sitting here tapping my fingers on the table. Good things come to those that wait, so we will wait Covid out. Do I have a choice?

This frequent flyer has spent some time in the air. My wife and I have seen a lot of this world, but still not enough. Last fall, we spent a weekend in the Catskills (or as the cool kids say, the Western Catskills - who knew??). We expect to do the same in the spring. We were hoping to see Mike Grammar this summer, but I expect Canada will still be closed.

From the NY Times >
For most people, going on vacation during the pandemic has been the stuff of dreams. But as vaccination becomes a reality, it’s time to start nurturing your travel imagination.
More in the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/trav ... ation.html
I just did 10 days in Hawaii and while it was nice to travel, it wasn't the full experience because not everything is open or at full capacity. I suspect this will be the same in other locales and it can make traveling difficult until we see the Covid numbers drop substantially in addition to the vaccines.

Right now the State Dept still requires a 72 hour covid test even if you have the vaccine. How long will this stay in place and what are the entry requirements elsewhere? These seem to be moving targets that don't favor those of us who travel extensively.

I have a group of friends that just island hopped the Maldives and they had the resorts almost to themselves. From that standpoint, that may be great but those are small atolls anyways.

I'd love to see Covid disappear for good so we can all get back to globetrotting as well as more domestic travel.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”