WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: WineAccess Thread - Wines, Tasting Notes, Deals, etc.

#1101 Post by C. Heinsen »

I have not pulled trigger on a Wine Access NDA wine yet. Reading some of these comments and have to ask about the Radio Silence and ask whether it’s worth $45 price point. As a comparison, I can get Caterwaul Napa for $5 more. Would love to hear from those who tried it (or any of the others) if they believe it outdrinks some of the best “value” $50 Napa Cabs.
C h r i s

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1102 Post by MatthewT »

These guys are so milking this NDA stuff. It's unlikely I'll buy the RESERVE but can't wait to read the hype tomorrow.
I'm a Turk

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1103 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

MatthewT wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:01 pm These guys are so milking this NDA stuff. It's unlikely I'll buy the RESERVE but can't wait to read the hype tomorrow.
Yeah pretty obvious that this is a major cash cow for them now. The deal flow that they have is pretty crazy, and it seems like they got a lot of deals in the pipeline much earlier in the year when the glut was significantly worse.

The price point that they are able to sell these at compared to deNegoce is also pretty fascinating. Certainly Cam Hughes must at least be jealous of that.

YLee

#1104 Post by YLee »

PHuff wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:51 pm
YLee wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:18 pm Which Yesterday is it though?
Oakville or howell?

Just got off the phone with WA. I was told it only says Napa. Maybe a blend of sites?
The 2018 Yesterday "Oakville" only said "Napa" on the label.......but in the description of the wine, it said it was Oakville fruit. So if the Reserve also only says Napa on the label, then perhaps that wine is also Oakville fruit, but some of the better barrels. But who knows, I am just speculating.......
Good to know
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1105 Post by Kevin Patrick »

I am extremely curious what the pitch is tomorrow as well as the price point.

As someone who has had really positive experiences with the Wine Access NDA wines I am far more cautious heading into this "Reserve." I tasted many of the wines in blind tastings and think they are fabulous wines that drink at twice the price, if not higher. Here are my tasting notes from two evenings:

Group Blind Taste (Yesterday Howell Mountain, Commission, Yesterday Oakville, The Ringer, Radio Silence):
viewtopic.php?p=3157164#p3157164

Blind Taste (Yesterday Oakville & Howell Mountain):
viewtopic.php?p=3119027#p3119027

Price point will really be the make-or-break for me on the Reserve. With credits, % discounts, etc. the existing NDA wines are a great value. But once you get above $50 per bottle as likely on this Reserve you are beginning to compete with more tried and true wines with great track records.

Myriad hits tomorrow for many people and their regular bottling Cab is $70. I'll take a sure thing Mike Smith wine at $70 versus an NDA I've had good experiences with at $60.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1106 Post by MatthewT »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:19 pm
MatthewT wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:01 pm These guys are so milking this NDA stuff. It's unlikely I'll buy the RESERVE but can't wait to read the hype tomorrow.
Yeah pretty obvious that this is a major cash cow for them now. The deal flow that they have is pretty crazy, and it seems like they got a lot of deals in the pipeline much earlier in the year when the glut was significantly worse.

The price point that they are able to sell these at compared to deNegoce is also pretty fascinating. Certainly Cam Hughes must at least be jealous of that.
Yah, it's complicated though. When WA sells a case for $33/bottle/shipped that's more like $30 apples/apples w/ dN. Additionally, they offer a ridiculous number of coupons. 50 off 150 for new customers, all the AMEX shit, etc. I'd guess their actual revenue is low 20's/bottle and it seems like they held this inventory for a year or more before selling it, most of the times making the wine themselves. It's rather different than what Cameron is doing.
I'm a Turk

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1107 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

MatthewT wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:30 pm Yah, it's complicated though. When WA sells a case for $33/bottle/shipped that's more like $30 apples/apples w/ dN. Additionally, they offer a ridiculous number of coupons. 50 off 150 for new customers, all the AMEX shit, etc. I'd guess their actual revenue is low 20's/bottle and it seems like they held this inventory for a year or more before selling it, most of the times making the wine themselves. It's rather different than what Cameron is doing.
For sure. There are a lot of details that are unknown about each, but IMO deNegoce has the more enviable business model. I think WA takes on a lot more inventory risk, can only really sell through with the help of discount codes, and most likely their cost of raw materials is at a higher price point than dN. Would be very interesting to see what the margins look like for both.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1108 Post by MatthewT »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:43 pm
MatthewT wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:30 pm Yah, it's complicated though. When WA sells a case for $33/bottle/shipped that's more like $30 apples/apples w/ dN. Additionally, they offer a ridiculous number of coupons. 50 off 150 for new customers, all the AMEX shit, etc. I'd guess their actual revenue is low 20's/bottle and it seems like they held this inventory for a year or more before selling it, most of the times making the wine themselves. It's rather different than what Cameron is doing.
For sure. There are a lot of details that are unknown about each, but IMO deNegoce has the more enviable business model. I think WA takes on a lot more inventory risk, can only really sell through with the help of discount codes, and most likely their cost of raw materials is at a higher price point than dN. Would be very interesting to see what the margins look like for both.
Yah. WA is also a much bigger business (obviously) with tons of employees where Cameron has what 2 or 3 outside of contract work for fulfillment?

I was buying CHAD for years on WineAccess way before dN existed (I didn't even know about Cameron Hughes Wine) and have always been really satisfied.
I'm a Turk

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1109 Post by David Crow »

I've tried at least five of the WA NDA wines, along with a similar number of De Negoce wines (#s 2, 5, 21, 40, 42, 50). Here are some observations.

All of the Wine Access wines have been very good to excellent and at the price point represent exceptional values (especially after discounts). The fruit sources are clearly first rate and they taste very well made. I would say they generally taste like wines costing $75-$100, and I've had plenty of wines that cost $100+ that aren't as good. I also appreciate that WA tends to provide more clues in their descriptions and it's generally pretty easy to determine the source.

To provide some perspective, I recently tasted some of the WA NDA wines against a 2018 Rivers Marie Napa Cab (a $75 bottle). While the RM won the night, it was only by a hair. At half the price or less, the WA wines represented an incredible value. I also recently had a Stag's Leap Artemis and Turnbull Napa Cab, which both sell for ~$50+ and are both pretty widely available. All of the WA NDA cabs I've had blow them both away.

As for the De Negoce wines, I've had more mixed results. Generally they range from OK to very good, but none have blown me away the way the Wine Access wines have. That being said, I would still say De Negoce represents a decent value for most of their wines given <$20 price. The problem is being forced to buy an entire case is a big commitment for an unknown wine, especially when my storage is at a premium.

In summary, I view the Wine Access NDA wines as really nice wines at an exceptional value that I can break out for nice weekend dinners when I don't want to open up something too expensive. Given the value I've seen I'll continue to buy new releases in 3-6 bottle quantities. Meanwhile, De Negoce represents solid cellar defenders, but I don't think I'll be going back for many more anytime soon.

YLee

#1110 Post by YLee »

David Crow wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:24 pm I've tried at least five of the WA NDA wines, along with a similar number of De Negoce wines (#s 2, 5, 21, 40, 42, 50). Here are some observations.

All of the Wine Access wines have been very good to excellent and at the price point represent exceptional values (especially after discounts). The fruit sources are clearly first rate and they taste very well made. I would say they generally taste like wines costing $75-$100, and I've had plenty of wines that cost $100+ that aren't as good. I also appreciate that WA tends to provide more clues in their descriptions and it's generally pretty easy to determine the source.

To provide some perspective, I recently tasted some of the WA NDA wines against a 2018 Rivers Marie Napa Cab (a $75 bottle). While the RM won the night, it was only by a hair. At half the price or less, the WA wines represented an incredible value. I also recently had a Stag's Leap Artemis and Turnbull Napa Cab, which both sell for ~$50+ and are both pretty widely available. All of the WA NDA cabs I've had blow them both away.

As for the De Negoce wines, I've had more mixed results. Generally they range from OK to very good, but none have blown me away the way the Wine Access wines have. That being said, I would still say De Negoce represents a decent value for most of their wines given <$20 price. The problem is being forced to buy an entire case is a big commitment for an unknown wine, especially when my storage is at a premium.

In summary, I view the Wine Access NDA wines as really nice wines at an exceptional value that I can break out for nice weekend dinners when I don't want to open up something too expensive. Given the value I've seen I'll continue to buy new releases in 3-6 bottle quantities. Meanwhile, De Negoce represents solid cellar defenders, but I don't think I'll be going back for many more anytime soon.
+1
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1111 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

If I may provide some counterpoints, I find that the WineAccess NDA wines tend to be extremely uniform in terms of style. They are almost always from Napa, 15+% ABV, full bodied, with heavy oak treatment. While some show good balance, others are an over-extracted unbalanced mess. 2018 Editorial in particular was horrendous.

I bought some of the WineAccess NDA wines but stopped buying after a certain point because, really, do I need more 15+% ABV Napa Cabernet?

deNegoce seems to be targeting a lower price point for sure, but also have a lot of variation in terms of appellation, varietal, style, etc. With that variation does come some potential for mixed results, as you say. I'd say half of the dN wines I ordered handily beat their price point, while the other half are priced about correctly or even too high for the quality of the wine. As you mention, the case commitment is a big problem here, because the risk is high that you will be stuck with 11 more bottles than you actually want to have. However, I think Cam mentioned that he would start selling mixed cases at some point this year, which might allay some of those concerns.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1112 Post by MatthewT »

They lied! I was looking forward to YESTERDAY RESERVE today, even if I wasn't going to buy.
I'm a Turk

Evan Tunis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1113 Post by Evan Tunis »

YLee wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:33 pm
David Crow wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:24 pm I've tried at least five of the WA NDA wines, along with a similar number of De Negoce wines (#s 2, 5, 21, 40, 42, 50). Here are some observations.

+1
Wine Access will also deliver the wine you order where DeNegoce where say they ran out of stock even it you have purchased it months ago.

David Chow

#1114 Post by David Chow »

MatthewT wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:14 pm They lied! I was looking forward to YESTERDAY RESERVE today, even if I wasn't going to buy.
Me too...maybe it'll be available soon.

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1115 Post by Mike R »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:39 pm If I may provide some counterpoints, I find that the WineAccess NDA wines tend to be extremely uniform in terms of style. They are almost always from Napa, 15+% ABV, full bodied, with heavy oak treatment. While some show good balance, others are an over-extracted unbalanced mess. 2018 Editorial in particular was horrendous.

I bought some of the WineAccess NDA wines but stopped buying after a certain point because, really, do I need more 15+% ABV Napa Cabernet?

deNegoce seems to be targeting a lower price point for sure, but also have a lot of variation in terms of appellation, varietal, style, etc. With that variation does come some potential for mixed results, as you say. I'd say half of the dN wines I ordered handily beat their price point, while the other half are priced about correctly or even too high for the quality of the wine. As you mention, the case commitment is a big problem here, because the risk is high that you will be stuck with 11 more bottles than you actually want to have. However, I think Cam mentioned that he would start selling mixed cases at some point this year, which might allay some of those concerns.
Completely agree with this. The Wine Access wines are good, but they are all the exact same style (high alcohol, oaked, and bold) and getting to be sort of one note for me. I also have found worse bottle variation with Wine Access than DN, but both have it.
... 0 p 3 r

James Mc

#1116 Post by James Mc »

I had the 2017 piece of work cab about 6 months ago and everyone really enjoyed it. I see the 2018 is up now. Have to dig up the ‘17s write up and compare if same source. Think the 17 had tiered pricing. Think I paid $32 or $35 per for 6.

Edit: not same source. Carry on.
McCormick Seasonings

Benjg

#1117 Post by Benjg »

I know this thread is all red wine discussion, but I wanted to give a plug for their white wine as well. I bought some Massican Annia and Brokenwood Semilion, both highly rated and great white wines, for about 30% off with different discounts and Amex offer. Add in free shipping and these prices are way cheaper than I could find locally.

Another topic of discussion....I just got the $100 off coupon thanks to spending $1000 and want to buy a bottle between 200-350 and wondering what bottle I should buy. I’m thinking either the 2009 Pontet Canet or maybe the 2017 Sass. What do y’all think????
B e n G @ t h

Mike R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1118 Post by Mike R »

Benjg wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:52 pm I know this thread is all red wine discussion, but I wanted to give a plug for their white wine as well. I bought some Massican Annia and Brokenwood Semilion, both highly rated and great white wines, for about 30% off with different discounts and Amex offer. Add in free shipping and these prices are way cheaper than I could find locally.

Another topic of discussion....I just got the $100 off coupon thanks to spending $1000 and want to buy a bottle between 200-350 and wondering what bottle I should buy. I’m thinking either the 2009 Pontet Canet or maybe the 2017 Sass. What do y’all think????
I'd pass on the Pontet Canet. Its a nice wine, but having opened one recently, not really worth the price.
... 0 p 3 r

rsmithjr

#1119 Post by rsmithjr »

MatthewT wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:58 pm
Chris Crutchfield wrote: January 11th, 2021, 2:43 pm
Yah. WA is also a much bigger business (obviously) with tons of employees where Cameron has what 2 or 3 outside of contract work for fulfillment?

I was buying CHAD for years on WineAccess way before dN existed (I didn't even know about Cameron Hughes Wine) and have always been really satisfied.
I bought CHAD and some other wines on WA. Was generally happy. They introduced me to Tensley...thumbs up

They also pushed some Cabernet from a winemaker named Britt Nichols....wine was complete JUNK....so I stopped using them for 3 years.

Only recently came back to WA after reading about Radio Silence, Yesterday etc. here.

EDIT: I LOVE the 2016 Concept Album
Last edited by rsmithjr on January 13th, 2021, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Rodrigo F.

#1120 Post by Rodrigo F. »

I would go with the '17 Sass any day of the week.
Mike R wrote: January 12th, 2021, 9:14 pm
Benjg wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:52 pm I know this thread is all red wine discussion, but I wanted to give a plug for their white wine as well. I bought some Massican Annia and Brokenwood Semilion, both highly rated and great white wines, for about 30% off with different discounts and Amex offer. Add in free shipping and these prices are way cheaper than I could find locally.

I'd pass on the Pontet Canet. Its a nice wine, but having opened one recently, not really worth the price.
F l o r e s

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1121 Post by David Crow »

James Mc wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:25 pm I had the 2017 piece of work cab about 6 months ago and everyone really enjoyed it. I see the 2018 is up now. Have to dig up the ‘17s write up and compare if same source. Think the 17 had tiered pricing. Think I paid $32 or $35 per for 6.

Edit: not same source. Carry on.
In case anyone is interested, I believe the 2018 Piece of Work is sourced from Clos du Val. It’s described as a historic stage leap estate where WA has offered their other wines for up to $110. It looks like they’ve offered a number of Clos du Val wines before, including their 2015 Hirondelle Vineyard cab for $110, so I think that must be it.

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1122 Post by C. Heinsen »

Any thoughts on whether Yesterday Reserve gets announced today?
C h r i s

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1123 Post by Kevin Patrick »

C. Heinsen wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:49 am Any thoughts on whether Yesterday Reserve gets announced today?
A little birdie told me it is now scheduled to go live tomorrow. No exact Pacific Coast time provided.

Rohit B

#1124 Post by Rohit B »

What's the yesterday reserve wine?

Edit: never mind, looked up thread.
13 h @ n

Toby P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1125 Post by Toby P »

looks like it's up on the site btw

(edit to remove bad link)
Last edited by Toby P on January 14th, 2021, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
P r a t t

David Buck

#1126 Post by David Buck »

C. Heinsen wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:49 am Any thoughts on whether Yesterday Reserve gets announced today?
Bit on 6 at $39 plus the 20% discount I got on Wellesley site....Lot good reviews on here on original Yesterday so went for it.

Sounds like should be more drinkable right away than DeNegoce cabs....22 months barrel ...6 months in bottle at least. So I got 6 2018 radio silences from before and this to start off trying Wine Access NDAs...

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1127 Post by C. Heinsen »

What where the guesses as to the source of Yesterday?
C h r i s

JEFFREY R

#1128 Post by JEFFREY R »

David Buck wrote: January 13th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Bit on 6 at $39 plus the 20% discount I got on Wellesley site....Lot good reviews on here on original Yesterday so went for it.

Sounds like should be more drinkable right away than DeNegoce cabs....22 months barrel ...6 months in bottle at least. So I got 6 2018 radio silences from before and this to start off trying Wine Access NDAs...
I got 6 as well as 3 Moundsmen. Hope they’re good...
R o g e r s

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1129 Post by Dave H. »

Toby P wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:34 pm looks like it's up on the site btw

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... bc7263bcc/
That write up reaches new levels of using lots of words, yet saying nothing.
(I genuinely liked the “regular” Yesterday but I was never under any impression that I was drinking a triple-digit bottle of wine.)
Hendrik

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1130 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

So it's just the same juice as Yesterday, except barreled longer and blended with some petit verdot?

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1131 Post by Eric White »

C. Heinsen wrote: January 13th, 2021, 3:54 pm What where the guesses as to the source of Yesterday?
Harlan (at least for the Oakville, I think there was some speculation it was DANA for the Howell Mnt)

rsmithjr

#1132 Post by rsmithjr »

I have way too much young wine. So pass on the Yesterday reserve..,, damn....
Roger Smith- Longtime wine drinker and bon vivant' and unofficial De Negoce' FANBOY.....

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1133 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Eric White wrote: January 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm Harlan (at least for the Oakville, I think there was some speculation it was DANA for the Howell Mnt)
The early thoughts were Harlan, but based on a conversation with a friend there is a strong chance the Yesterday Oakville are grapes that didn't make the cut for Bond Matriarch. It's all guesswork but I think this is really the source.

Yesterday Howell Mountain is near 100% certain grapes that didn't make the cut for Dana Estates, Hershey Vineyard VASO label.

Clearly no one knows but these are the two sources I am operating off as the source grapes.

FWIW I think Harlan is the source for Radio Silence.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1134 Post by MatthewT »

Here is a clean link for it:

https://www.wineaccess.com/catalog/2018 ... bc7263bcc/

I'm not buying it. The hyperbole is ridiculous. I've enjoyed the YESTERDAY I have, 2 cases. And will let it age.
I'm a Turk

David Crow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1135 Post by David Crow »

Kevin Patrick wrote: January 13th, 2021, 6:07 pm
Eric White wrote: January 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm Harlan (at least for the Oakville, I think there was some speculation it was DANA for the Howell Mnt)
The early thoughts were Harlan, but based on a conversation with a friend there is a strong chance the Yesterday Oakville are grapes that didn't make the cut for Bond Matriarch. It's all guesswork but I think this is really the source.

Yesterday Howell Mountain is near 100% certain grapes that didn't make the cut for Dana Estates, Hershey Vineyard VASO label.

Clearly no one knows but these are the two sources I am operating off as the source grapes.

FWIW I think Harlan is the source for Radio Silence.
I was pretty sure this was Harlan as well but the write up for the reserve says the source winery’s wines sell for around $600, which is less than Harlan but around what Bond charges I think. Perhaps that also explains why the label says Napa and not Oakville if the are blending grapes from various Bond sites.

In terms of the source for Yesterday Howell Mountain, I agree that the vineyard has to be Dana’s Hershey Vineyard. However, I don’t think it’s a Dana wine given it’s clear it’s made by Thomas Rivers Brown, and as far as I know he has no relation to Dana (I think Dana is still made by Melaka). So I’m guessing Yesterday Howell was some other wine sourcing grapes from Hershey vineyard that ended up not being used. TRB makes outpost (and perhaps some other Howell mountain wines) so I’m guessing it was from one of them sourcing from Hershey.

H. Jang

#1136 Post by H. Jang »

I think 2018 Yesterday Reserve is came from The Napa Valley Reserve from Harlan, cuz The Napa Valley Reserve is operated by membership targeting very few people(for red-carpet VIPs). And red Blend(Blended with Petit Verdot), $600 in market. What do you think of it?
Last edited by H. Jang on January 13th, 2021, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H y o won

ScottieB

#1137 Post by ScottieB »

H. Jang wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:51 pm I think '2018 Yesterday Reserve' is came from 'The Napa Valley Reserve' from Harlan, cuz The Napa Valley Reserve is operated by membership targeting very few people(for red-carpet VIPs). And red Blend(Blended with Petit Verdot), $600 in market. What do you think of it?
The Napa Valley Reserve is not located in Oakville. Yesterday is from Oakville: the offer was titled "The Apogee of Classic Oakville Terroir"
B e c k m a n

H. Jang

#1138 Post by H. Jang »

ScottieB wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:53 pm
H. Jang wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:51 pm I think '2018 Yesterday Reserve' is came from 'The Napa Valley Reserve' from Harlan, cuz The Napa Valley Reserve is operated by membership targeting very few people(for red-carpet VIPs). And red Blend(Blended with Petit Verdot), $600 in market. What do you think of it?
The Napa Valley Reserve is not located in Oakville. Yesterday is from Oakville: the offer was titled "The Apogee of Classic Oakville Terroir"
I missed the most important thing. or promontory? which is located in oakville
H y o won

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1139 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

Our previous Yesterday Cabernet offer of the limited stock we received from this 100-point institution became one of the best-selling offers in Wine Access history. It was so good from barrel, we saved a special amount for an even more graceful Reserve. Blended with Petit Verdot for extra elegance, and treated to additional aging, it’s finally ready: the absolute best of the batch.
It sounds like it's from the same stock as before, although perhaps they selected the best barrels for this bottling.

David Chow

#1140 Post by David Chow »

If this Yesterday Reserve is better than the non-Reserve, I would kick myself for missing on this opportunity to grab some...so, I bit on 6 myself. That's it! No more WA's NDA bottles for me, at least for the rest of this year.

ScottieB

#1141 Post by ScottieB »

H. Jang wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:02 pm
ScottieB wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:53 pm
I missed the most important thing. or promontory? which is located in oakville
The description says "Vineyards were planted decades ago in places where open plains and hills meet wild woodlands..." This doesn't fit Promontory -- Promontory's vineyards are in the mountains southwest of Harlan's vineyards which do fit the description as well as "All exposures—northern, eastern, southern, western—are represented among their acres."
B e c k m a n

ScottieB

#1142 Post by ScottieB »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:32 pm
Our previous Yesterday Cabernet offer of the limited stock we received from this 100-point institution became one of the best-selling offers in Wine Access history. It was so good from barrel, we saved a special amount for an even more graceful Reserve. Blended with Petit Verdot for extra elegance, and treated to additional aging, it’s finally ready: the absolute best of the batch.
It sounds like it's from the same stock as before, although perhaps they selected the best barrels for this bottling.
The original 2018 Yesterday also had Petit Verdot.
B e c k m a n

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1143 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Peter C. wrote: October 20th, 2020, 7:12 am
NickRut wrote: October 20th, 2020, 6:55 am Any guesses on what this Moundsman wine is?
Biggest clue perhaps is "among the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in Napa" at "the foot of the Mayacamas."
Did this ever get settled?

A possible guess:
Lewelling Vineyards is one of the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in the Napa Valley with family roots dating back to 1864 when the family patriarch John Lewelling moved to St. Helena. The vineyard itself is located at the base of the Mayacamas mountains on the western side of the valley.

Although I'm not seeing Lewelling having George III grapes which is almost certainly the source.

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1144 Post by J. Rock »

Krug is back (at least for the West Coast)! Great price if you have $100 of $300 and an Amex deal
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1145 Post by Peter C. »

Kevin Patrick wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:40 am
NickRut wrote: October 20th, 2020, 6:55 am Any guesses on what this Moundsman wine is?
Biggest clue perhaps is "among the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in Napa" at "the foot of the Mayacamas."

A possible guess:
Lewelling Vineyards is one of the oldest continuously-owned family vineyards in the Napa Valley with family roots dating back to 1864 when the family patriarch John Lewelling moved to St. Helena. The vineyard itself is located at the base of the Mayacamas mountains on the western side of the valley.

Although I'm not seeing Lewelling having George III grapes which is almost certainly the source.
I don't think we wound up figured out which producer it was.

Apropos of nothing, I just decanted 2018 Radio Silence and snuck a small taste - obviously young as heck but surprised at how open it is right off the truck. Plan to taste it over two nights so will chime in later.
( z y ® y ( @

David Buck

#1146 Post by David Buck »

Kevin Patrick wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:40 am

A possible guess:

Thought it interesting looking up Lewelling and their 2018s sold right out this past fall and they dont even ship them till Fall of 2021. All these 2018 NDA cabs we bought (DeNogoce/WA) and cant drink [head-bang.gif] ....patience.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1147 Post by Peter C. »

2018 Radio Silence is delicious with a four+ hour decant. Medium bodied, but broad shouldered - nice lifted cinnamon, black cherry and rock/mineral notes. Palate is very structured, plenty of acid but tightens up on the finish. I think this will wind up being a very pretty wine, the oak reminds me of Dominique Laurent in Burgundy, it's there but it's refined, not heavy handed. Definitely worth drinking now with a long decant, probably best in 8-10 years.
( z y ® y ( @

rsmithjr

#1148 Post by rsmithjr »

Yesterday Reserve no longer on WA.....

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1149 Post by Kevin Patrick »

rsmithjr wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:16 am Yesterday Reserve no longer on WA.....
Not accurate. Still there under limited time offers right now.

Surprised it has lasted this long. The track record of the first release is really strong and this was only ~$6 increase. Granted it is basically the same wine but considering some of the rave reviews (which includes myself) I thought this was a great deal.

Didn't help that it was released during "bloody January" with mailing list releases from nearly every major label wine producer.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1150 Post by MatthewT »

Kevin Patrick wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:25 am
rsmithjr wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:16 am Yesterday Reserve no longer on WA.....
Not accurate. Still there under limited time offers right now.

Surprised it has lasted this long. The track record of the first release is really strong and this was only ~$6 increase. Granted it is basically the same wine but considering some of the rave reviews (which includes myself) I thought this was a great deal.

Didn't help that it was released during "bloody January" with mailing list releases from nearly every major label wine producer.
Not available in San Diego.
I'm a Turk

Return to “Wine Talk”