2020 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

Discussions and questions (vintages, winemaking, etc) for those ITB. All are welcome to post.
Sean Devaney

Re: 2020 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

#251 Post by Sean Devaney » June 26th, 2020, 7:41 am

Damn Edward. Those look great!

[worship.gif]

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#252 Post by William Segui » June 26th, 2020, 9:48 am

Casey Hartlip wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 8:03 pm
Pretty disappointed that there are so few contributors to this thread. Don't know if there are some lurkers who don't care or others that don't see a monetary payout for posting. When I jumped in many years ago I seemed to see an opening that many wine geeks were wanting to hear about the daily life of the farming end of wine. This ain't growing corn folks, it's a highly specialized crop that has been going on for centuries.
Sometimes I feel I'm posting to Merrill and Paul and nobody else. If that's the case I guess I can live with that. I do this as a type of therapy/sharing of the farmers life. Not that my life is difficult or hard, because it's not. I'm not curing cancer or creating a program that will change the world, I'm just working the land and helping create a product that brings joy to people who share my passion.
I'm mostly a lurker in here, I rather enjoy reading about what others are seeing & doing - thank you to all the regular posters.

GregP

#253 Post by GregP » June 26th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Casey, as other have already stated "lack of interest" in the thread is just imaginary. Many visit the thread and it is one of very few I never miss, daily. So, thank you for the info and education, and thanks to others who contribute as well! Any and all info you guys provide is more than appreciated.

Fruit wise, and after you posted recently that some current customers may be cutting back, I am working on a project, now in suspended state until I can meet face to face with interested party, and IF things pick up again in this suspended state of affairs due to virus, I was already planning to reach out and see what may be available, both Pinot and Chard going forward. Once you know better in regard to your current contacts please keep me informed. PM is fine, I am not sure I have your current contact info (from the Eaglepoint days).
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#254 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 26th, 2020, 5:23 pm

I gave the vines a long, slow drink yesterday. This morning, while it was still cool out (now it is 95 degrees), I started another round of suckering. Both the clusters and the berries look a bit small to me, but there are plenty of them! I was working mostly in the St. George rootstock block. I'll get into the guts of the 110R tomorrow, and see if I still feel the same about the small size.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#255 Post by Casey Hartlip » June 27th, 2020, 6:42 am

It was HOT yesterday. Many of you know I live in the Ukiah area about 10 miles inland from my job in Anderson Valley. So I had a bunch of stuff to do at home yesterday and headed to Philo with paychecks. I got there just as the crew was ending their day at 2:30. It seemed hot but there was a decent breeze.

I took care of biz and was home by about 4:30. I don't have a thermometer on my work truck but it seemed much hotter back home. I dialed up my weather station in the vineyard and it was 84 degrees! I looked outside my home and it read 104.
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Jim F » June 27th, 2020, 7:21 am

Casey Hartlip wrote:
Pretty disappointed that there are so few contributors to this thread. Don't know if there are some lurkers who don't care or others that don't see a monetary payout for posting. When I jumped in many years ago I seemed to see an opening that many wine geeks were wanting to hear about the daily life of the farming end of wine. This ain't growing corn folks, it's a highly specialized crop that has been going on for centuries.
Sometimes I feel I'm posting to Merrill and Paul and nobody else. If that's the case I guess I can live with that. I do this as a type of therapy/sharing of the farmers life. Not that my life is difficult or hard, because it's not. I'm not curing cancer or creating a program that will change the world, I'm just working the land and helping create a product that brings joy to people who share my passion.
Casey, I check/lurk this topic regularly, find it informative, and although not willing to invest my retirement portfolio into farming, kind of live vicariously through you all champagne.gif . I kind of got the idea a couple years ago, that posts from not in the business types were discouraged. Very possibly my mis-interpretation and I am glad to see more interchange.
Jim Freeman

Chris Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by Chris Johnson » June 27th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Veraison started in our tannat in San Diego. Usually the last thing to go through, 3 weeks early this year. Not seeing any yet in our cinsaut. More PM pressure this year in the cinsaut than last year.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#258 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 28th, 2020, 8:48 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 5:23 pm
I gave the vines a long, slow drink yesterday. This morning, while it was still cool out (now it is 95 degrees), I started another round of suckering. Both the clusters and the berries look a bit small to me, but there are plenty of them! I was working mostly in the St. George rootstock block. I'll get into the guts of the 110R tomorrow, and see if I still feel the same about the small size.
What a difference rootstock can make!
The 110R shows many clusters, medium sized berries, and medium to large sized clusters. And I even saw some suckers (where the trunk meets the ground) that had two clusters of berries on those suckers! Plenty of work to be done....
Merrill

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Stewart Johnson » June 28th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Heavy winds forecast tonight, and that doesn't do fragile new grafts any good. So, the day was spent in hurry up mode to finish yet another pass battening down the new shoots. I only graft about a half acre at a time, but that patch seems to take almost as much work as the other 8.

As an aside, I would post here more often if the ability to include pictures was better. As it is, it's just easier to post pics on my Facebook page instead.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

N Weis

#260 Post by N Weis » June 29th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
I'll try to post more, Casey.

Growth is mostly starting to wrap up with some exceptions. Lots of places with bunch closure and even seed hardening/lag phase, so crop estimate season has begun!

I've felt a bit off most of this growing season (not just due to the world at large). Have not seen things we've never seen before.....just I guess things that we don't often see in concert with one another, which has had me feeling confused most of the year.

It's a site by site sort of year, with some sites needing a little kick in the pants to reach the top wire. Many set an ambitious crop, so adjusting that will be something requiring careful attention. Then again, the phenology timing tells me that a lot of sites will be lucky to make it to Labor Day. So maybe a little extra crop to slow it down isn't the worst thing in the world?

Plant water status says things aren't as stressed as they look, but soil moisture data says we're getting close to triggers. Some of the weaker and more challenged areas didn't make it out of May without some irrigation.

The vintage that keeps coming to mind with a lot of clusters that set well, modest canopies, and really dry winter conditions is 2013. We shall see. Right now, it certainly looks like 2020 will be a lot earlier than '13, but maybe as structured? The next 8 weeks will tell the story....
ITB - N @ t e

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#261 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 29th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Thanks for your post, Nate.

I'm going to finish up the suckering this week, and then next week look at the crop load when I can really see it. I haven't seen the weather for the 4th, but that is traditionally, for my site, when my place is at risk for sunburn. Temperatures of 100 degrees or more with long, sunny days...that'll do it.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by Casey Hartlip » June 29th, 2020, 7:54 pm

IMG_20200629_194544634.jpg
Today's tally. Every day we bring in the days eggs and stage them in the egg holder. We have 4 hens that are about 3 years old. We average about 2.5 eggs a day. We give them anything green from the house and yard. When we fall behind on zucchini, we cut them in half and they love it. In mid winter when nothing is green we buy head lettuce from Walmart at 99 cents go give them good groceries. Oh that's a dove eggs. We have 12 doves.

Sean Devaney

#263 Post by Sean Devaney » June 30th, 2020, 8:02 am

Nice Casey. Are you still raising pigs?

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#264 Post by Casey Hartlip » June 30th, 2020, 9:54 am

No I haven't for a few years now. With me and Lynne home we don't go through it very fast. I do love my birds though. We sit out by the coup many evenings and listen to the doves, very relaxing.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Casey Hartlip » June 30th, 2020, 12:21 pm

N Weis wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:11 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote:

Growth is mostly starting to wrap up with some exceptions. Lots of places with bunch closure and even seed hardening/lag phase, so crop estimate season has begun!

I've felt a bit off most of this growing season (not just due to the world at large). Have not seen things we've never seen before.....just I guess things that we don't often see in concert with one another, which has had me feeling confused most of the year.

It's a site by site sort of year, with some sites needing a little kick in the pants to reach the top wire. Many set an ambitious crop, so adjusting that will be something requiring careful attention. Then again, the phenology timing tells me that a lot of sites will be lucky to make it to Labor Day. So maybe a little extra crop to slow it down isn't the worst thing in the world?

Plant water status says things aren't as stressed as they look, but soil moisture data says we're getting close to triggers. Some of the weaker and more challenged areas didn't make it out of May without some irrigation.

The vintage that keeps coming to mind with a lot of clusters that set well, modest canopies, and really dry winter conditions is 2013. We shall see. Right now, it certainly looks like 2020 will be a lot earlier than '13, but maybe as structured? The next 8 weeks will tell the story....
I haven't looked over the fence in a while. How the old Lazy Creek stuff looking?

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#266 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » June 30th, 2020, 6:28 pm

No matter who is posting, I do appreciate the opportunity to read about what is going on. Thank you all.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

N Weis

#267 Post by N Weis » June 30th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 12:21 pm
N Weis wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:11 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote:

I haven't looked over the fence in a while. How the old Lazy Creek stuff looking?
Been really happy with that ranch all year. Monument Tree, too. We've gone all organic herbicide or mechanical just about everywhere, and it was quite successful at those two ranches. Moreso than some others. At this point, it needs some positioning, a hedge, some crop thinning, maybe on primping pass, and we're more or less waiting for harvest. The old Lazy Creek was one of those with lots of clusters that all set pretty well. Canopies aren't huge in spots, so will need to be really careful with what it carries. Working on plans to plant the open and fallow areas, so you'll see some big yellow stuff making some dust next year. Most of it not on your property line but Roederer's.
ITB - N @ t e

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by timmy roos » June 30th, 2020, 10:33 pm

What organic weed herbicide do you use and are you happy with control? What is cost and frequency used?
Things are getting funny these day

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 1st, 2020, 9:54 am

IMG_20200701_085319677_HDR.jpg
Gruner bunches not quite closed and might not end up that way. Still going to drop more crop there.
IMG_20200701_091722586_HDR.jpg
Pinot clone 667 many of these are tight now. Clone 943 has many shot berries (sorry no pics) but still a decent crop. Clone 91 looks way above average and will likely need 25% of crop dropped soon.
Many clients asking for crop estimates so I'll be meeting with my head guys to come up with some numbers.

Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#270 Post by Paul Gordon » July 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm

Casey Hartlip wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
Gruner bunches not quite closed and might not end up that way. Still going to drop more crop there.
Pinot clone 667 many of these are tight now. Clone 943 has many shot berries (sorry no pics) but still a decent crop. Clone 91 looks way above average and will likely need 25% of crop dropped soon.
Many clients asking for crop estimates so I'll be meeting with my head guys to come up with some numbers.
Casey

Fairly consistent berry size with not so many chicks. Is that typical or more consistent this year?

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#271 Post by Paul Gordon » July 1st, 2020, 10:21 pm

My usual monthly report ...
June had some ups and downs but nothing extreme on either side - we had just two days above 90F, a 91F and a 92F.
No rain but in the fog a dozen times. Grass around the property was green through the month and will likely completely brown mid-July.
Our temps were just a little under our 6 year averages for June - 74F for average hi and 51F on the average lo. That compares to the Cote Rotie historical June averages of 73F/57F.
It has cooled down in France after a really hot April/May. Ampuis had an average hi of 78F and average lo of 59F.

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#272 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 2nd, 2020, 6:03 am

Paul Gordon wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm
Casey Hartlip wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 9:54 am
Casey

Fairly consistent berry size with not so many chicks. Is that typical or more consistent this year?

Paul
I would say yes, it does seem like more even set this year. Bloom weather was pretty sweet this year.

N Weis

#273 Post by N Weis » July 3rd, 2020, 2:21 pm

timmy roos wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:33 pm
What organic weed herbicide do you use and are you happy with control? What is cost and frequency used?
Hi Timmy: the biggest success has been Weed Slayer. Eugenol and an adjuvant of some sort of bacteria that you mix together and apply. It's been hugely successful against grasses, less so against broad leaf. Timing is pretty critical as is temperature, as if it isn't warm enough, it doesn't get activated.

We've learned a lot about it this year. Sometimes, it does the job all by itself. Sometimes, it buys you some time to get in there with an implement. Sometimes, it's been ineffective. But, I think it will be a good tool moving forward and we'll certainly get better at using it.

I'm going by memory here, but I think it's about $60/pass/acre at full rate. We *have* found that with certain types of pressure and certain timing, a full rate application isn't necessary. Still, not inexpensive.

Some vineyards, one or two applications with some mech has worked. Sometimes, no mech necessary.

Overall, our weed control budgets had increased in the 10-15% range to accomodate the new approach. And we've been at or below them. But, it's been a year without as much weed pressure due to the dry winter.
ITB - N @ t e

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#274 Post by Stewart Johnson » July 3rd, 2020, 9:59 pm

I used Weed Slayer for the first time this year. It has to be applied early, which I don't like. I had some rows where I only applied it to part of the row, because the other part of the row had big, recent cuts on the trunk where we were doing trunk renewal. It was definitely better than nothing, but one pass wasn"t close to enough. I think it's probably weak enough that your second pass could occur later when you have trunk suckers without real harm to the vines. I chickened out and ended up using a burndown (glufosinate) instead for the second pass with suckers present, partly to be be on the safe side and partly because it actually works.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#275 Post by timmy roos » July 4th, 2020, 7:09 am

Thanks guys. We have considered it but remain our sustainable practices. No glyphosate

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#276 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 4th, 2020, 7:49 am

My place is small enough to hand-dig the weeds. Last round cost me $640.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 5th, 2020, 7:01 am

IMG_20190912_074042637_HDR.jpg
Starving for a camping experience we took another couple and camped......at work! Weather was perfect, cooked some steaks, visited Roederer and Lula, played some cards.
Note: this pic was our view, but I took this one last year at harvest.

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#278 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 6th, 2020, 6:28 am

Loving what the 10 day forecast is showing. Slightly below average temps with no rain.

Paul Gordon
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#279 Post by Paul Gordon » July 6th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Mendo has been markedly cooler the last two days when compared to points south. Halcon had a high of 74F yesterday and just 64F today. Very windy both days. For comparison the NOAA station at the Santa Rosa Airport reported a high of 98F yesterday and 93F today.
That wide range is fairy common in May and the first half of June but rare in summer.

Paul
Paul Gordon
Halcon Vineyards

N Weis

#280 Post by N Weis » July 7th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:49 am
Hey Merrill: Always a nice way to go! Unfortunately, $1,000/acre (do I have that right? I remember you saying your place was about 2/3 of an acre?) is equal to or exceeds our yearly budget for weed control in just about every one of the vineyards we farm, let alone a single pass. I'll tell you this though, when we *do* use the shovels, it gets done right every time!
ITB - N @ t e

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 7th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Saw a Facebook post yesterday of colored Pinot berries in Anderson Valley. Anyone else? I got none.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#282 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 7th, 2020, 4:01 pm

N Weis wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:49 am
Hey Merrill: Always a nice way to go! Unfortunately, $1,000/acre (do I have that right? I remember you saying your place was about 2/3 of an acre?) is equal to or exceeds our yearly budget for weed control in just about every one of the vineyards we farm, let alone a single pass. I'll tell you this though, when we *do* use the shovels, it gets done right every time!
Yes you have it 100% correct. We all adjust to what we have. I refuse to use chemicals here, and when I hired Josh Clark, it cost me more to have a machine not built for my trellising come through. It is what it is.

Crop looks great. Looking forward, as always, to a great vintage.
Merrill

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#283 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 9th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Good friend and client Dave Gifford of Windchaser wines visited today. He buys small amounts of Gewurtz, Pinot Gris, and Gruner as well as decent sized lots of Chard and Pinot Noir. I've known Dave back to Crushpad days. He's pretty much a natural winemaker and likes to pick on the less ripe side.
Almost done with the 7 month complete remodel of the managers house at work. Been a big project with new sheetrock, wiring, plumbing, insulation, floors, kitchen and bathrooms. Basically a new house. Lynne and I hoping to move there before harvest but we've got to sell our house first. If you know anyone wanting to get out of the Bay area have them do a Zillow search for 2389 Twining Road, Ukiah, CA.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#284 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 10th, 2020, 5:31 pm

It is 100 degrees here this afternoon, and this is not even supposed to be the hottest day of the week.
Merrill

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#285 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 12th, 2020, 3:59 pm

This is the third day in a row of 100 degrees. It is supposed to cool slightly - might be easier with longer hours cool enough to work in the vineyard. I have some clusters that need to be dropped: ones that are not fully formed or on shoots that are too short to support them. The culling process begins.
Merrill

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#286 Post by Stewart Johnson » July 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Got away to the mountains for a few days, and the car thermometer read 103 coming back thru the Central Valley today. That added some urgency to getting back in time to get some water on the vines this afternoon.
My irrigation system is pretty tuneable but not very sophisicated. I have risers along both edges of the vineyard where water is needed first and the lines run toward the middle, which needs it last. Every line has multiple shutoff valves at intervals, and I open them progressively further toward the middle of the vineyard every week or so. So, every irrigation session involves walking the rows and deciding where the water stress starts and adjusting the shutoff valves accordingly. In well designed vineyards, blocks are designed to be more homogeneous and can be treated as such for irrigation purposes, but that's not what I've got.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#287 Post by timmy roos » July 12th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Where is the mountains for you Stewart?

Stewart Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#288 Post by Stewart Johnson » July 13th, 2020, 12:26 am

timmy roos wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 9:09 pm
Where is the mountains for you Stewart?
I grew up in the Hwy 88 area, and that's still the home turf -- the Carson Pass area, generally. With family now, it's Pinecrest Lake. It's up 108, north of Yosemite. We started going there because Cal's Lair of the Bear camp is nearby. A lot of the appeal for 16 year olds is the many cliff diving sites on the lake. Also, many of the lakeside cabin decks have received the coveted 5 Star GTAA (Gin & Tonic Assoc. of America) rating. To tie this back to vintages, we stopped going to the Lair because we were locked into a second week of August slot. That was fine until the 2015 vintage, when ripening was so early that I had to bail mid-week to get back home to get ready for the harvest that was coming a month ahead of schedule.
ITB
Kendric Vineyards

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#289 Post by timmy roos » July 13th, 2020, 4:34 pm

We go to pinecrest as well. Grew up with a great aunt in long barn. Love to share a glass of wine sonetime

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Casey Hartlip » July 13th, 2020, 6:04 pm

First color today reported by the men's crew. I was busy with construction today but will try to get some pics. Left Philo today at 4:00 and it wasn't too bad, but drove over the hill to Ukiah (sorry no thermometer on my plain Jane work truck) and wow it was hot! My estimated day one of harvest is August 28. Shit I'm SO not ready.

Return to “Cellar Rats (ITB)”